V shaped response over ear headphones
Oct 26, 2014 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RyviusRan

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to upgrade to a new pair of headphones and I am really stuck on what to choose.
My budget it around 170USD although I may go higher if it's worth it.
I really like the sound of a v shaped response and I tend to use a similar equalizer setting to the powerful setting.
In the past I have used the AKG K81 DJ, JVC HA RX700, Pioneer Steez and Koss PortaPro.
The only over ear headphones I've used were the JVC HA RX700 and I really prefer them over on ear.
I also want the headphones to have a removable cord because it's easy to fix if something goes wrong with the cord.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-m50x, Pioneer HDJ-2000 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro but I would also like the input from more knowledgeable people on this fourm. 

I've found the ATH-m50x new for 129USD.
The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro for 169USD.
And the Pioneer HDJ-2000 for 179USD

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Just got the M50x myself. They're pretty good, but the mesh that covers the speakers do touch my ears, and after about an hour or so I have to take them off and/or adjust the band and earcups or they give me a headache. Might be remedied with different cushions, but just something to think about.

They're also quieter than other headphones I've used, but an amp or more powerful source might fix that if getting loud is something you like.

They definitely don't give you the feeling of being in the studio with the instruments, but each instrument is very clear and the isolation is good despite sound leakage being pretty prominent.

Edit:
An amp or more powerful source DOES fix that. I use a FiiO E6 with my phone, and when I use the E6 on my computer I can only put the volume at 20% before it is too loud, usually keeping it at 10%.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Just got the M50x myself. They're pretty good, but the mesh that covers the speakers do touch my ears, and after about an hour or so I have to take them off and/or adjust the band and earcups or they give me a headache. Might be remedied with different cushions, but just something to think about.

They're also quieter than other headphones I've used, but an amp or more powerful source might fix that if getting loud is something you like.

They definitely don't give you the feeling of being in the studio with the instruments, but each instrument is very clear and the isolation is good despite sound leakage being pretty prominent.

Edit:
An amp or more powerful source DOES fix that. I use a FiiO E6 with my phone, and when I use the E6 on my computer I can only put the volume at 20% before it is too loud, usually keeping it at 10%.

I also have a FiiO E6.
So is the M50x worth the price or is there something better for around the same cost that carries a nice v shape?

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 5
I also have a FiiO E6.
So is the M50x worth the price or is there something better for around the same cost that carries a nice v shape?

The M50x is very, very neutral with Just a tad more bass than the predecessor M50. Custom One Pro is more comfortable out of the box, but after the initial clamping is done with M50x you feel much less pressure. I've no idea on your third option though, I'm afraid.

Can confirm the M50x is worth the money. I was worried at first when I put them on because they sounded just "meh" even a little harsh and I thought I wasted my money. But after about 5 hours of listening it sounded a bit better, 5 more it was pretty good, 30 hours in and it sounds phenomenal! It's not a thumpy bass and the soundstage is smaller than I'd like (closed back, so it's not supposed to be big), but that's the only thing I don't like. Blue EQ on the E6 and a little changing on digital and it gets it where I'm happy when I want it.

TL;DR
With an amp and digital equalizer you should get the exact sound you want without getting distorted. They really are worth it. At worst you'll have the best reference headphones so folks here can suggest tweaks for a different pair.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 5
+1 on the M50x. it has very good sound quality for the price.

+1 on the HDJ-2000. that is a pretty solid price for those. bass-heavy, but very enjoyable.

never tried the beyer C1P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back