V-Moda XS vs V-Moda M80
Aug 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goose-is-good

New Head-Fier
I have my decision narrowed down to two headphones.

It's between the V-Moda M-80 and the V-Moda XS.

Which one is better for the price/condition?
I can get the M-80 new for around $105, while the XS is refurbished at $40 more. A new XS is $199, and I don't have that kind of money to throw around...

Would the sound quality of either be very different/better? Is the extra $40 worth it to get CliqFold capabilities?

Also, my head is a bit larger (7 5/8). Would the M-80s be too small, in which case XS would be better?

Thanks in advance. My usual google searches of "x vs y" aren't pulling up too much useful information for me.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Check the warranty on the XS refurbished model... if it's good, I'd get that.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Dude you could save up for a new one and buy it directly from vmoda. It will include a free audio only cable and a pair of custom shields. Downside is that it would cost you more with the 212$ price. But that's what i would go for, in the end it will be your decision. Wish this could help.

Cheers

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 10
From reading some other threads, the XS seems to fit larger head sizes better than the M80. Some members here have mentioned that if you have a narrower head, the XS may be sloppy fitting. [size=x-small]I have a narrower head, so I took the safe path and ordered my second pair of M80s. (My daughter "adopted" my first pair). From your description, you might want to go the other way and get [/size]the[size=x-small] XS.[/size]

FWIW, I alternate the M80 and Onkyo FC300 for JPop and electronica. For classical, jazz, acoustic, and classic rock I use the Mikros 90. I appreciate each headphone for its individual sound signature.

I hope this helps.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 10
Just received my XS today, and I still have my M80 so I am beginning the task of figuring out which one I prefer. I will first off agree that with a smaller head the XS does not fit as well as the M80. I can't tell if this ultimately impacts the seal in a negative way as even when I try to make the XS feel more sealed, I don't notice much of a change in sound. I will experiment some more and report back here.

Now, without a doubt the bass on the XS is cleaner, far less bloom than with the M80. The M80 also seems to be louder at the same volume setting, but this is without any measuring device so I can't confirm this through measurement per say. I find that the treble is also a little smoother with the XS and my initial impression in this regard is favourable. I am perceiving the XS as being slightly more forward in the mids, but perhaps this is due to the cleaner bass not bleeding into the low mids, hence making the mids more distinct.

I will post back more impressions soon, but for certain bass with the XS is more articulate than with the M80, but you will be giving up some weight. As mentioned, I think it is good to shed some weight here for the XS as it strikes me as sounding faster than the M80, certainly less bloomy down low. With very limited head time I am cautiously optimistic that the XS is more toward neutral than the M80, which I think is a good thing. Love the M80, but hearing the difference in bass signatures between the two headphones and I can say that so far, cleaner XS bass is a good thing.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 10
So sorry mate, I haven't had either in about 3 years now so I couldn't help you much. Wow, not much ever happened in this thread. Good luck finding some opinions, I'm sure there are more active VModa threads where people will be able to help you more. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back