V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Sep 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #811 of 972
I'm really close to buying these but have a few questions.

I have the LPs and think they sound nice but they sound to bass heavy for me.  I'm looking for a more I think you call it a 'neutral sound' or 'balanced sound'  I don't want too much bass or no bass at all just a balance of highs, mids, lows that can handle different kinds of music.

I listen to different genres but 80% of my music is from artists like,

AC/DC - Aerosmith - Jimi Hendrix - Guns N Roses - Led Zeppelin - Pink Floyd - Disturbed - 90s music Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc  and others similar to these.

I have a 4th Gen iPod touch with no amp I just want to plug my headphones in and enjoy the music as it should be through a nice quality pair of headphones.  

When you listen to your music do you use no EQ on your mp3 player or do you use a setting like rock, pop etc?

The look, size, price and portability have me sold but I'm not sure about the sound.

Is the XS a good pick for me?

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #812 of 972
Yes.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #813 of 972
  I'm really close to buying these but have a few questions.

I have the LPs and think they sound nice but they sound to bass heavy for me.  I'm looking for a more I think you call it a 'neutral sound' or 'balanced sound'  I don't want too much bass or no bass at all just a balance of highs, mids, lows that can handle different kinds of music.

I listen to different genres but 80% of my music is from artists like,

AC/DC - Aerosmith - Jimi Hendrix - Guns N Roses - Led Zeppelin - Pink Floyd - Disturbed - 90s music Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc  and others similar to these.

I have a 4th Gen iPod touch with no amp I just want to plug my headphones in and enjoy the music as it should be through a nice quality pair of headphones.  

When you listen to your music do you use no EQ on your mp3 player or do you use a setting like rock, pop etc?

The look, size, price and portability have me sold but I'm not sure about the sound.

Is the XS a good pick for me?

Yes.  They Sound Great. Maybe look at the M-100's as well? 

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #816 of 972
Thanks Tom, I just ordered the matte black from Headphone Bar now I wait.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #817 of 972
Hi, a little criticism here. 

I've had my XS for quite a while now and I use them almost every day at school. 
I feel that these headphones sound kind of dry.. maybe I am just used to really warm sound, I enjoy my HD650's the most. I think overall the V-Moda sound signature is not one I truly like. So far there isn't really an on ear that suits me that I've tried.

HD25 - sibilant
Koss PortaPro - open headphone, muddy sound
Momentum On-Ear - muddy, don't like it's treble. 

Love the portability of these though. Excellent case. The mic cable is kind of annoying as it's pretty stiff.

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #818 of 972

I feel that these headphones sound kind of dry.. maybe I am just used to really warm sound, I enjoy my HD650's the most. I think overall the V-Moda sound signature is not one I truly like. So far there isn't really an on ear that suits me that I've tried.

HD25 - sibilant

Love the portability of these though. Excellent case. The mic cable is kind of annoying as it's pretty stiff.

If i may ask a couple questions:

are you looking for on ears specifically?
in regards the hd25? other than the siblance anything else you didn't like?
also the same with the MOE what about the treble did you not like? (personally i prefer the treble on the MOE over the xs, its more refined its a bit more aggressive with a bit more emphasis.

personally i thought the xs was quite warm sounding maybe a bit so for me. so thats why i wouldn't call it neutral. which many mistaken as the same as balanced. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #819 of 972

HD25 - sibilant

If i may ask a couple questions:

are you looking for on ears specifically?
in regards the hd25? other than the siblance anything else you didn't like?
also the same with the MOE what about the treble did you not like? (personally i prefer the treble on the MOE over the xs, its more refined its a bit more aggressive with a bit more emphasis.

personally i thought the xs was quite warm sounding maybe a bit so for me. so thats why i wouldn't call it neutral. which many mistaken as the same as balanced. 

Pretty much, I'm looking for on ears.

Clamp is a lot on the HD25. The V-Moda aren't comfortable either (I wear glasses but the pads are hard). 
I wish V-Moda would offer velour/memory foam pads.

The treble is aggressive and sounded kind of tinny to me. My friend has a pair. It also made guitars sound kind of weird. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #820 of 972
Anybody using an aftermarket cable with either the M-80s or XS?  I would be interested if anybody has stories of cables that improve the sound over the stock (music only) V-moda cable.  I have heard that the Moon Audio Blue Dragon is supposed to match well, but that is a bit pricey for me at the moment.  Anybody selling DIY ones?

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #821 of 972
  Pretty much, I'm looking for on ears.

Clamp is a lot on the HD25. The V-Moda aren't comfortable either (I wear glasses but the pads are hard). 
I wish V-Moda would offer velour/memory foam pads.

The treble is aggressive and sounded kind of tinny to me. My friend has a pair. It also made guitars sound kind of weird. 

unfortunately if the vmoda xs are not comfortable, your sadly out of luck in terms of on ears (the closest in terms of comfort would be the beyer t51p.

the vmoda is are one of the most comfortable closed on ear headphones out there to date. super light clamping force, almost loose at times. pads having a soft-medium density to them. 

maybe try some open on ears (if you have your heart set on on ears)?

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #822 of 972
  unfortunately if the vmoda xs are not comfortable, your sadly out of luck in terms of on ears (the closest in terms of comfort would be the beyer t51p.

the vmoda is are one of the most comfortable closed on ear headphones out there to date. super light clamping force, almost loose at times. pads having a soft-medium density to them. 

I agree that the XS is one of the most comfortable on-ear that I've ever tried.
Another on-ear that gives me good comfort is ATH ESW9, but the warm sound signature with mid humps might not be be a good match for rock or metal music 

The Momentum is a bit on the small side and even with both earcups at the maximum end of the headband, I can't get a good fit.
The HD25 just clamp very hard that I can't wear it pass the hour mark.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #823 of 972

I agree that the XS is one of the most comfortable on-ear that I've ever tried.
Another on-ear that gives me good comfort is ATH ESW9, but the warm sound signature with mid humps might not be be a good match for rock or metal music 

The Momentum is a bit on the small side and even with both earcups at the maximum end of the headband, I can't get a good fit.
The HD25 just clamp very hard that I can't wear it pass the hour mark.

Shure 535 and V-MODA XS compete for my best sound for portability. The XS suffer a bit in the low end, but nothing a good DAC can't help with. I agree with you on comfort, but they can be fatiguing at times.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #824 of 972
My new favorite portable combo:  The XS with my new iPhone 6.  I was formerly using the XS with an iPhone 5 and a Vamp Verza.  With the new phone, I'm not missing the amp at all.  

I'm using the Audioforge Equalizer app to cut the mid/upper bass in the 250-300Hz region by 1.5-2 dB, and leaving everything else flat.  I'm getting a warm, detailed sound with plenty of bass depth and impact, really good kids and extended treble, but not too bright.

The Verza will be up for sale soon.

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #825 of 972
Hi,

I'm a happy V-moda XS owner, however I have a problem.

I use them connected to my Iphone and it is Ok. I tried them connected to three DIY amps I built: C-moy, O2 amp and The Wire.
They sound OK with C-moy, but connected to The Wire and O2 I got the same problem: low level sound  and clearly low-fi, something similar to an old gramophone sound.
I suspect a problem idue to the mic cable the V-moda have.

Any similar experience in the forum?

Thank you

northernsky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back