V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Jun 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #706 of 972
  How do the Vmoda XS compare to the Sennheiser Amperiors? I currently have the Vmoda M80 and looking to upgrade between one of these two :) thanks in advance!

i previously own the vmoda xs and currently own the amperiors. so i didn't have a chance to a/b them specifically. but here it goes.

in terms of build the xs definitely "feels" more premium> amperiors which is basically all plastic except for the earcups (which is the opposite for the xs (everything is basically metal and fabric except for the earcups)

but both are durable (amperiors uses the same parts as the hd25 which is a dj legend, so it needs to be durable)

comfort the xs takes it, id say almost a landslide. the xs barely clamp so they don't put too much pressure on the ear and it distributes pressure very evenly around the entire ear. but isolation is actually better than expected (usually light clamp= poor isolation). the amperiors although the pads are soft (the velours anyway, i'm getting the pleathers soon so i'll update my impressions later). but it has a very tight clamping force.

however this means the amperiors are far more secure on the head than the xs, which will come loose if you start headbanging to your music.

in terms of sound, i personally prefer the amperiors> the xs. their sound signature is more different than one might thing.

the xs is a much bassier headphone. i think it reaches lower than the amperiors, but its nowhere near as tight and fast sounding. it does carry more weight in the bass. and has more punch
in terms of the bass, the amperiors are much more balenced more nimble and soo incredibly fast, tight and slam that you can throw anything complex on it and it'll reproduce it marvelously. but it does roll of in the deep subbass 

the midrange i find the xs is much fuller sounding. both the amperiors and xs have a more forward mids, however the xs reproduces vocals (both male and female) so beautifully, retaining the naturalness, timbre to the voices. the amperiors on the other hand have leaner midrange (its actually more clear, but i still yearn for the mids of the xs). the xs also doesn't make strong female vocals unbearable if they really belt out. the amperiors does it a bit.

in terms of treble, i find its more a preference thing >technicalities. i personally like the amperiors much more. the xs has a smooth treble, very very smooth but rollls of rather quickly, theres no harshness or any aggression in the treble. it really is a sit back and relaxing on your chair at home kinda treble. so it favors smoothness> precision detail and crispness

the amperiors on the other hand is much more aggressive, and exciting its crisp, and snappy, its a driving kinda treble, which does tend to sound bright (at first i found it a bit more brighter than i like) but i've grown to love it, because what it has over the xs is supreme clarity and articulation. the treble is more extended than the xs as well, which rolls of much more quickly > the amperiors.

sound stage the xs is definitely wider, it feels like a small room compare to the amperiors which feels exactly "in your head". but even though the amperiors are more in your head, its placement and separation is better, and more precise than the xs 

in short, if you want a smoother more relaxing sound, go for the xs. if you want something really exciting and driving id say the amperiors. 

i'm going to do a review on the amperiors very soon (along which a bunch of other gear) on my youtube channel, and i've already done a review on the vmoda xs! check it out on youtube under the username: On A Studentbudget

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #708 of 972
i previously own the vmoda xs and currently own the amperiors. so i didn't have a chance to a/b them specifically. but here it goes.

in terms of build the xs definitely "feels" more premium> amperiors which is basically all plastic except for the earcups (which is the opposite for the xs (everything is basically metal and fabric except for the earcups)

but both are durable (amperiors uses the same parts as the hd25 which is a dj legend, so it needs to be durable)

comfort the xs takes it, id say almost a landslide. the xs barely clamp so they don't put too much pressure on the ear and it distributes pressure very evenly around the entire ear. but isolation is actually better than expected (usually light clamp= poor isolation). the amperiors although the pads are soft (the velours anyway, i'm getting the pleathers soon so i'll update my impressions later). but it has a very tight clamping force.

however this means the amperiors are far more secure on the head than the xs, which will come loose if you start headbanging to your music.

in terms of sound, i personally prefer the amperiors> the xs. their sound signature is more different than one might thing.

the xs is a much bassier headphone. i think it reaches lower than the amperiors, but its nowhere near as tight and fast sounding. it does carry more weight in the bass. and has more punch
in terms of the bass, the amperiors are much more balenced more nimble and soo incredibly fast, tight and slam that you can throw anything complex on it and it'll reproduce it marvelously. but it does roll of in the deep subbass 

the midrange i find the xs is much fuller sounding. both the amperiors and xs have a more forward mids, however the xs reproduces vocals (both male and female) so beautifully, retaining the naturalness, timbre to the voices. the amperiors on the other hand have leaner midrange (its actually more clear, but i still yearn for the mids of the xs). the xs also doesn't make strong female vocals unbearable if they really belt out. the amperiors does it a bit.

in terms of treble, i find its more a preference thing >technicalities. i personally like the amperiors much more. the xs has a smooth treble, very very smooth but rollls of rather quickly, theres no harshness or any aggression in the treble. it really is a sit back and relaxing on your chair at home kinda treble. so it favors smoothness> precision detail and crispness

the amperiors on the other hand is much more aggressive, and exciting its crisp, and snappy, its a driving kinda treble, which does tend to sound bright (at first i found it a bit more brighter than i like) but i've grown to love it, because what it has over the xs is supreme clarity and articulation. the treble is more extended than the xs as well, which rolls of much more quickly > the amperiors.

sound stage the xs is definitely wider, it feels like a small room compare to the amperiors which feels exactly "in your head". but even though the amperiors are more in your head, its placement and separation is better, and more precise than the xs 

in short, if you want a smoother more relaxing sound, go for the xs. if you want something really exciting and driving id say the amperiors. 

i'm going to do a review on the amperiors very soon (along which a bunch of other gear) on my youtube channel, and i've already done a review on the vmoda xs! check it out on youtube under the username: On A Studentbudget

This was awesome tom22

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #711 of 972
I just started to learn about these. I previously had the M80 but I could not stand the clamp force so I was unable to wear them for more than an hour. Are the XS a lot more comfortable? 

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #712 of 972
  I just started to learn about these. I previously had the M80 but I could not stand the clamp force so I was unable to wear them for more than an hour. Are the XS a lot more comfortable? 

Yes. Super, duper comfortable.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #713 of 972

I had the M80s and ended up giving them to my daughter because of comfort issues. Decided to give the XS a shot and I will say they are more comfortable than the M80s, but not by a large margin. Still have to take breaks every couple of hours due to ear soreness. I do wear glasses, though, so that may be a contributing factor. Bottom line, though, I will be keeping the XS.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #714 of 972
I had the M80s and ended up giving them to my daughter because of comfort issues. Decided to give the XS a shot and I will say they are more comfortable than the M80s, but not by a large margin. Still have to take breaks every couple of hours due to ear soreness. I do wear glasses, though, so that may be a contributing factor. Bottom line, though, I will be keeping the XS.

lucky daughter!! lol i found the xs about as comfortable as the beyers T51p. which is about as comfortable as you can get for on ears, while having decent isolation and without it falling off your head

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #715 of 972

Yeah I ended giving my M80s to my nephew. Hopefully I can find these somewhere to give them a try before I make a purchase. I do wear glasses at times as well but never noticed it any worse when I had my M80s. Thanks.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #716 of 972

Yeah I ended giving my M80s to my nephew. Hopefully I can find these somewhere to give them a try before I make a purchase. I do wear glasses at times as well but never noticed it any worse when I had my M80s. Thanks.

I wear thick-rimmed sunglasses with my V-Moda XS and I always have to put the headphones on first, otherwise no bass.
Ash   

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #717 of 972
I like my icons to match my gear so I made some XS (and M-100) icons to use in Windows. Feel free to grab them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4gh0flmu8f1qkp0/AADOtk_gR_ULGaszGE0xJCOoa

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #718 of 972
Hey guys i was just going to ask why the momentum on ears are included in the latest buying guide and the Vmoda xs aren't.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #719 of 972
Hey guys i was just going to ask why the momentum on ears are included in the latest buying guide and the Vmoda xs aren't.

i think its cause the xs is really recent. from what i recall i think you see the m80s being off the list as well, i think  jude and the gang was debating on putting up the xs or not. 

thats all speculations, but the xs will probably be up on the fall/winter guide for sure, don't worry 

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #720 of 972
Not sure if that's true.. the A&K 100 & 120 II are there and they're just about to be released.  The XS are some real competition for the Momentums.. probably better IMHO.. my Momentum over-ears are up for sale. Maybe it's a timing thing.
'nuff said.

Quote:
  i think its cause the xs is really recent. from what i recall i think you see the m80s being off the list as well, i think  jude and the gang was debating on putting up the xs or not. 
thats all speculations, but the xs will probably be up on the fall/winter guide for sure, don't worry 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back