V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Dec 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #34 of 972

ya, i think v-moda in general has to work on the comfort of their headphones. really glad that the m100s got the XL pads, but those pads should be standard for sure.

is it possible to have comfortable on ears with good isolation?

i can only think of 1 and i think i have stated it earlier and thats the beyerdynamic dt1350 (which i did try)

the senneheiser hd 25 has great isolation but clamps a too hard  (not personal experience mind you)

i have the noontec zoros and their fairly comfortable for on ears (the pads are nice and comfortable) but they don't isolate (but that could be more on the venting on the outside more than the pads) but we'll never know

Bit off topic but.
If you want isolation and don't care tik mych about sound, get Bose.

I dub them 'airplane headphones' :p

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #35 of 972
  is it possible to have comfortable on ears with good isolation?

I actually think that it is generally really hard to have comfortable on ears. When I'm wearing headphones, I am wearing for really long sessions and I want to be able to wear them indefinitely without getting distracted by discomfort. Even the Sennhesier Momentum Over-Ears with soft, real leather pads that ended fitting on slightly more on-ears in real life got annoying to wear after 2 hours.

Isolation is determined by having a good tight seal, so that would translate into discomfort for me personally as I don't like anything clamping hard ontop of my ears.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #36 of 972
  I actually think that it is generally really hard to have comfortable on ears. When I'm wearing headphones, I am wearing for really long sessions and I want to be able to wear them indefinitely without getting distracted by discomfort. Even the Sennhesier Momentum Over-Ears with soft, real leather pads that ended fitting on slightly more on-ears in real life got annoying to wear after 2 hours.

Isolation is determined by having a good tight seal, so that would translate into discomfort for me personally as I don't like anything clamping hard ontop of my ears.

i imagine for your use on ears would not comfortable for that long, maybe bigger over ears ( this is disregarding sound signature, maybe the earpads the size of ue6000 with that kind of isolation) i used ue6000 as an example because i tried them and they have good isolation for over ear anyway but have pretty roomy earcups

for me i usually just listen to music on my commute to and from school (1.5 hours one way) 3 hour both ways or a short duration at home (at home i never get long sessions anyway, i'm usually moving around when i'm not studying so i would think maybe 20-30minutes sessions) not long at all

and i'm not even listening the full 1.5 hour trip, i occasionally take it off to hear announcements or whatever. 

so i would think as long as they are fairly comfortable for about 1-1.5 hour or so is okay for me. 

but personally the design and the convenience of the features (durable hinges, dual input, comfortable headband, swappable shields) of the xs is winning me over ( the sound signature may have noted is similar to the shure se215, which i find enjoyable not jaw dropping) but i imagine the soundstage is way bigger

plus i love the pearl white colour =) i think i would have to retire my wallet from head-fi at least until 2015, spent way too much the last 6 months (4 iems, monster turbines ($50), gr07be ($100), re400 (130), jvc fxr80 (40)<-- haven't recieved this yet, its coming in the mail

but i know for sure i will get the xs eventually (i will be awaiting all your impressions until then)

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #37 of 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post

To my recollection, the AIAIAI TMA-1s achieve a good balance of both.
i haven't actually tried that something to look at =p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

B&W P5.
agreed, but thats real leather lol don't know if thats the contribution factor, that can is very nicely designed classy

the TMA-1 is the most comfortable on ear that I've ever worn but the sound was similar to dr dre beats.. lots of boom boom with some mud slapped in there
i do have the most average ears imaginable tho... i gave my TMA-1 to my sister and she has very sharp raised cartilage and some piercings in her ears and was able to enjoy them for a 3 hour plane ride, i didn't notice her adjusting them a lot ether
that being said i would say the m80 has much better sound and build quality, i can imagine if they folded like the m100 they would be the final word on portablity to performance ratio

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #38 of 972
@Tom22, you are right that there are a lot of over-ears that are uncomfy for after a hour or two. The M100s with standard pads come to mind. However, my current HE-400 and a lot of the over-ears I've owned such as the K550 and MDR-1R, I can wear for 8hr+ and still be fine. It's essential for me to be able to wear em for long periods of time as I like to listen to music while studying.

I doubt there are on-ears more comfortable than the Sennheiser Momentum Over-ears (real life use on-ear fit), so that's why I used em as an example. If your listening sessions are sub-1hr for on-the-go use, then the extra slimness of on-ears can be good for you :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #40 of 972
  @Tom22, you are right that there are a lot of over-ears that are uncomfy for after a hour or two. The M100s with standard pads come to mind. However, my current HE-400 and a lot of the over-ears I've owned such as the K550 and MDR-1R, I can wear for 8hr+ and still be fine. It's essential for me to be able to wear em for long periods of time as I like to listen to music while studying.

I doubt there are on-ears more comfortable than the Sennheiser Momentum Over-ears (real life use on-ear fit), so that's why I used em as an example. If your listening sessions are sub-1hr for on-the-go use, then the extra slimness of on-ears can be good for you :)

can't listen to music while studying lol too distracting, it splits my concentration far too easily.  the mdr 1r is one i have tried. so you need some VERY LARGE EARPADS, lol 

i think on ears is more practical for the "average consumers" most ppl i would imagine would listen to as much or even less than me lol
8 hours? That's a long time.

i agree lol  i have never heard music for 1/2 of that span lol 

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #42 of 972
8 hours? That's a long time.

lol studying in medschool. it sucks. everyone here has over-ears because we need noise isolation in the library & comfort for long hours. hahah i can't imagine wearing the LP2 for more than 4hrs. I had the M100 & LP1s, and I did paper towel mods on em, but still maybe only 1-2hrs max for me before it was distracting-ly uncomfortable.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #44 of 972
So, does anyone have an estimated guess as to when these should come out?

Val and his girlfriend are wearing them, which means production is probably starting now.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #45 of 972
I did 16 hours on a plane one time with my softee modded lp2 :p yes there that comfy

Any chance you could make me some pads like that so I don't have to do it myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back