V-Moda XS Review!- Fantastic all arounder= small, comfortable, great features, durable, customizable and lastly great looking (Form fitting)
Apr 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tom22

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased these straight from V-Moda. The following is a summary of my youtube review ( i will provide links below be sure to check it out as well the other videos in my channel!
The V-moda XS is a replacement for the V-Moda M80s, the #1 on ear headphone on a biggest headphone enthusiasist community head-fi.

Features and Accessories
The headphone folds up it easily fits in your coat pocket and fit snuggly in the carrying case. There are two input jacks (cables are detachable= easily replaceable). So you can plug the cables in on either side. Daisy chain them- share your audio with others by plugging their headphones into the empty input. The earcups are on ear and are on the smaller side, so when you have it around your neck, its not going to hit your chin when your turning your head in different directions. Comes with 1 , one button smartphone compatible cable, kevlar reinforced. 

Build quality and design
The V- Moda XS are built like a tank like all V-Moda headphones are built to a military grade standard. The headband band is made of a very flexible "steelflex headband", easily able to take basically any abuse you put it through. The overall construction is made up of metal and high quality plastic. The XS come with "Clique fold" hinges similar to the V-Moda M100s allows the headphones to collapse to a size that can easily fit in your coat pocket, and unlike most hinges, it looks a feels substantial and doesn't look like a point of weakness. The shields are customizable, to different colours and you put custom designs on it to make as individualized and unique as you want it. Lastly, these are very form fitting on your head, as advertised by V-moda's slogan for them "Mind the Gap".

Weight
At a weight of 190g it basically disappears on your head and around you neck

Comfort & Isolation
The single most comfortable on ear headphone i've ever tried. Typically on ears are not the most comfortable because their pressing against your ears, but V-moda found a perfect balance between comfort and secure. i use them straight off my ipod/iphone at about 6/16-7/16 (31%-43%) and they work well walking around downtown, on bus. Their efficent no amp required Decent when in cafeteria, just okay for subway use. So if your a heavy commuter and need completely silence the XS won't help you there. (i don't recommend turning up the volume to block out noise, thats asking for permanent hearing damage) At home i use it about 4/16 or 5/16 (25%-31%) and its perfect for me. i don't listen to my music loud at all and i hear everything. Take care of your hearing guys!

Sound Quality
Its a great balance between fun, exciting, yet smooth relaxing all while staying fairly balenced through the sound spectrum. 
Bass-
Bass is emphasized but no where near the standard in most consumer headphones. Its fairly linear from the Sub-bass (subwoofer, rumbling, bass you can feel) to the mid bass (the punchy bass, you hear in most music). With a slight more punch > rumble. Both nonetheless great extension especially for an on ear headphone
Mids-
The Midrange is at the forefront, (its forward) vocals are pure and lush, and absolutely natural yet very clear. Male and female vocals shine and command attention. So your Adeles, Mariah Carey, Adam Levine, Celine Dion all the way to Gangnam Style will sound amazing.
Treble-
Treble is articulate with decent extension yet laid back but never harsh or fatiguing. I do wish there was a bit more sparkle and a bit more extension but that might make it harsh so its okay. 
Soundstage
Sounds like its being played in a small room. Which is good for an on ear but nothing like a full size open headphone so be sure to keep that in mind

Are they worth it? Yes! They are easily worth their msrp, making them class leading in their respective category (on ear headphone). Along with the custom shields (colours and designs) + collapsing design + great comfort + small footprint makes these a winner in my books

The following are just some pictures i've taken of my xs.

XS in the case  - able to store 2 cables easily but you can't use the included vstrap (case doesn't close properly)- have to store them as shown

my xs with gold shields

size comparison with the m100s

here is where you can store the v-cork at the v-strap (prevents accumulation of dust in the unused jack)- when your sharing a portable device (daisy chaining with others)

If you would like a more indepth review here is the link 
Be sure to check out the other videos on my channels- i had made a comparison between the V-Moda XS and the well renowed V-Moda M100s here as well 
heres the links
quick comparison-
sound quality comparison-  

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 13
  Nice review! Do you have any comparisons to the M80?

unfortunately no =( i was going to get the m80s way back but didn't have the funds (couldn't convince myself to drop that amount of $ on headphones at the time) and decided to wait for the xs (hoping to have the cliquefold hinges and a dual input jacks) and my wishes came true! =) well worth waiting for 

apparently they did a bit a tweaking on the sound i heard reports saying their tighter in the bass with a bit less midbass emphasis so the subbass is more pronounced as a result, basically left the mids alone and extended the treble more but its still laid back and non fatiguing.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 13
  unfortunately no =( i was going to get the m80s way back but didn't have the funds (couldn't convince myself to drop that amount of $ on headphones at the time) and decided to wait for the xs (hoping to have the cliquefold hinges and a dual input jacks) and my wishes came true! =) well worth waiting for 

apparently they did a bit a tweaking on the sound i heard reports saying their tighter in the bass with a bit less midbass emphasis so the subbass is more pronounced as a result, basically left the mids alone and extended the treble more but its still laid back and non fatiguing.

That's how I hear them. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 13
I am very interested to hear if any glasses wearers have experience with the comfort of the XS. I had the M80s and loved the sound signature but they created a sore spot on my ears on extended wearing. I have the M-100s now and can confirm the extended bass (over the M-80s at least). I would love to have the small form factor and sound signature of the XS if the advertised increased comfort would alleviate the pressure points present with the M-80s.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 13
I am very interested to hear if any glasses wearers have experience with the comfort of the XS. I had the M80s and loved the sound signature but they created a sore spot on my ears on extended wearing. I have the M-100s now and can confirm the extended bass (over the M-80s at least). I would love to have the small form factor and sound signature of the XS if the advertised increased comfort would alleviate the pressure points present with the M-80s.

well i don't know if this counts but i was wearing them with sunglasses the other day (only once though) for about 30-40 minutes i think and it was fine. heres a picture of the sunglasses i wore so you can take a look at the arms and thickness. i think their called the oakleys monster pup in case the picture doesn't help 

but it was fine i didn't really find it any less comfortable > without glasses

i did have to extend it an extra notch. (im usually around 4 notches on both sides) with glasses 5 notches

The xs really is one of the most comfortable on ears i have used. maybe others wearing glasses more often can confirm

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks Tom22. I think I may give them a chance. Probably order direct from V-Moda with their very generous test drive policy. May have to wait a bit, though. After recent M-100 and ATH-M50 acquisitions my wife might not take too kindly to another headphone box showing up at the door!

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 13
I have enough for a XS  now but I was thinking about saving for a Sennheiser HD-650 and a Bottlecrack amp.    So I am looking for a "WOW" factor LOL,   All I have now is my Xears xe200Pros IEMS,  They are amazing but Just want something to Listen too at home.   I like to watch "game of thrones" on my ipad,  thought an HD-650 would be fun to listen on.  I wonder How such a small headphone compares soundwise to the HD-650. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 13
  I have enough for a XS  now but I was thinking about saving for a Sennheiser HD-650 and a Bottlecrack amp.    So I am looking for a "WOW" factor LOL,   All I have now is my Xears xe200Pros IEMS,  They are amazing but Just want something to Listen too at home.   I like to watch "game of thrones" on my ipad,  thought an HD-650 would be fun to listen on.  I wonder How such a small headphone compares soundwise to the HD-650. 

vmoda has a 60 day return policy so try 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back