V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #361 of 394
Can't imagine no one has, but does anyone have experience with this vs the m100? Basically I want to trade for the portability without affecting sound too much.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #362 of 394
Can't imagine no one has, but does anyone have experience with this vs the m100? Basically I want to trade for the portability without affecting sound too much.

Hey, you're back. The XS is a different animal from the M-100. Mids are more pronounced and bass is scaled back a bit and doesn't go as deep. Treble isn't as prominent either. The XS has a flatter signature overall, but a mini M-100 it is not. It's a lot more comfortable, though.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #363 of 394
  Hey, you're back. The XS is a different animal from the M-100. Mids are more pronounced and bass is scaled back a bit and doesn't go as deep. Treble isn't as prominent either. The XS has a flatter signature overall, but a mini M-100 it is not. It's a lot more comfortable, though.

Can't keep me away for too long, LOL.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised that the XS seems to be so different. I would have figured it was like the Momentums in that they were fairly similar just with their own sound. Really want to go check out a pair for myself. Might have to take a trip to AC Gears in NYC this weekend.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #364 of 394

Can't keep me away for too long, LOL.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised that the XS seems to be so different. I would have figured it was like the Momentums in that they were fairly similar just with their own sound. Really want to go check out a pair for myself. Might have to take a trip to AC Gears in NYC this weekend.

It was actually the other way around. Everyone was expecting the M-100 to be a beefier M-80 and instead it ended up being a completely different sound. A lot of Head-Fiers were disappointed by the M-100's sound.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #365 of 394
  It was actually the other way around. Everyone was expecting the M-100 to be a beefier M-80 and instead it ended up being a completely different sound. A lot of Head-Fiers were disappointed by the M-100's sound.

Well I didn't mean the SAME relationship, just that I expected the M100/80 to be in the same boat sonically. I'm definitely looking at the XS right now. My listening habits aren't as lined up with the M100 as they once were (meaning I'm not discounting anything I've ever said about them, just that my tastes have wandered). 

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #366 of 394
Has anyone made the leap from ATH-M50 to the v-moda XS?    I've had the m50 for about 6 months and I have just totally fallen out of love with them.  They sound dull and veiled to me now.   I am wondering if the overall sound of the XS are "better" than the m50 or just on par with them. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #367 of 394
  Has anyone made the leap from ATH-M50 to the v-moda XS?    I've had the m50 for about 6 months and I have just totally fallen out of love with them.  They sound dull and veiled to me now.   I am wondering if the overall sound of the XS are "better" than the m50 or just on par with them. 

haha i'm actually going the other way around!! i want to get the new athm50x with the funds from selling my v-moda xs

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #368 of 394

I've had the M80s and the M50s and I'd say they were two different animals in the same class. It's just a matter of taste. To my ears the M80s had a more aggressive presentation, with more forward vocals and a tad more bass. I preferred them to my M50s, listening to them side-by-side I started to dislike vocals on the M50s even though I had 0 problems before. The only reason I got rid of the M80s is because I wanted funds to put towards the XS for the comfort improvements (comfort is the only thing I really like better about the M50s anymore). If it's true that the XS is basically a slightly improved M80 I would think they're worth a shot.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #369 of 394
@blackcoffee:  thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty sure I am going to roll the dice on the xs.  The small form factor alone will work well for travel and the office.  I had a buyer for my M50's today, but it fell through, so I may be a couple more weeks.

@Tom22:  What is it you are not liking about the XS?

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #370 of 394
  @blackcoffee:  thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty sure I am going to roll the dice on the xs.  The small form factor alone will work well for travel and the office.  I had a buyer for my M50's today, but it fell through, so I may be a couple more weeks.

@Tom22:  What is it you are not liking about the XS?

its not that i dislike the xs. it really checks of basically most of the boxes (comfort, design (i absolutely love that glittery/sparkly white pearl) the guys at v-moda really know what colours to use (never seen a headphone with that colour), portability, durability, customization/uniqueness, even sound for the most part) the sound is very smooth, a bit more bass than i woulda preferred (i was expecting less, and tighter and faster too), its a bit thumpy(although punchy) i felt that it woulda been better if they shifted some of the midbass to the subbass (i think it would still be plenty punchy). again i wanted a tighter bass responses and a bit more nimble.

the mids are very nice, both male and female vocals sound amazing, although i felt they have a slight preference for female vocals (which is great for me really)

the treble is nice and smooth, pretty good extension but still lacked that sparkle. needs a bit of grit i guess. but not fatiguing

the biggest reason is just the fact i wanna try other headphones really to help fund my youtube channel for reviews.

again overall it basically checks all the boxes really. (if i don't end up selling the xs, i think i'll still be happy) but i'll have to find money elsewhere to fund the channel =(

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #371 of 394

I think that came from unrealistic expectations more than anything else.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #373 of 394
Well I was able to sell the M50's tonight and I pulled the trigger on the black XS from the headphonebar.  So I guess I'll see what the difference is in a few days.

When I had money... Oh here we go...
I have the XS and the M100. I use IEMs when I have no time for headphones but I use the XS when I'm out of the house and the M100 for when I'm in the house or traveling.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #374 of 394
  We have a contest today to win a XS and we are not plan on doing many contests in the future. Chances of winning are high right now! 

https://www.facebook.com/VMODA/photos/a.343705018091.191634.106696703091/10152459739913092/?type=1&theater

Val,

Was there a winner chosen for this contest?  I don't see one mentioned in the comments of the Facebook post.  I'd love to get in on this if it is still open.  My M80s are my daily work headphone and I would love to see if the XS can best them in the noisy environment that I work in.

Unfortunately my financial planner (read: Wife) says buying new ones is not in the budget right now.  I told her I would pass my M80s down to my daughter, that suggestion was also vetoed.  Apparently she sees no need for a toddler to have modern audiophile grade headphones.  It was around this time I started to question my marriage... 
atsmile.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #375 of 394

Val,

Was there a winner chosen for this contest?  I don't see one mentioned in the comments of the Facebook post.  I'd love to get in on this if it is still open.  My M80s are my daily work headphone and I would love to see if the XS can best them in the noisy environment that I work in.

Unfortunately my financial planner (read: Wife) says buying new ones is not in the budget right now.  I told her I would pass my M80s down to my daughter, that suggestion was also vetoed.  Apparently she sees no need for a toddler to have modern audiophile grade headphones.  It was around this time I started to question my marriage... 
atsmile.gif

hahaha very nice post! i had a good laugh! but in all seriousness i would like to know who won as well (i posted a while back)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back