V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #196 of 394
One last note, the V-Corks for the XS are different than the ones for the M-100.  They are actually shaped like a headphone jack of a cable... 

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #197 of 394
So I got a nice small package in the mail today...  Cut the story short, the new case is about half of the size of the M-80's case which makes it quite portable.  The pads have changed, the padding on the M-80 is more rounded off while the padding on the XS is flatter (this may be because of how they are packaged in their collapsed position).  Either way, the XS pads have more surface area that will touch the ears, but also feel a lot more comfortable on the ears.  The headband has also been changed slightly allowing more headband to actually rest on your head improving distribution of pressure (not that the M-80s had that much pressure to begin with) which should improve comfort.   If anyone had any headband issues with the M-80, the XS should fix it up. 

As found sound differences.  Midrange differences can't really be heard through my initial impressions, however, there are some minute changes in the bass and treble.  The bass is more linear overall but also more controlled and has better perceived depth.   The mid-bass hump that the M-80 had isn't as audible any longer, however, the M-80 has better bass presence overall.  The treble follows suite with more linearity as well as a little more detailing and slightly more extension.  The differences are minute though, but Val did listen to our main critiques about the M-80 and did successfully improve it. 

Also another note, not that it'll matter for most people, the XS does lay a little better around your collar compared to the M-80. 

Just to confirm! The earpads on the xs are the exact same as the m80s. Got it straight from vmoda! Cant say who exactly, dont want them to get in trouble for this little nugget.

Its probably the better fit, and i noticed the xs slightly angle foward, which could contribute to that

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #198 of 394
They don't. AC Gears on 8th and Broadway has the XS.

Thanks again, I had never heard of AC Gears but I managed to stop in today and tried a bunch of headphones with my J3 and BH2. The XS has good sound and I love how small they are, but they did not fit me properly. They never felt secure on my ears and kept sliding off of them or my head. The good news is I actually can fit the M100's and will be ordering another pair directly from V-Moda. I guess the slight afro I had at the time caused the sizing issue originally.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #199 of 394
Just to confirm! The earpads on the xs are the exact same as the m80s. Got it straight from vmoda! Cant say who exactly, dont want them to get in trouble for this little nugget.

Its probably the better fit, and i noticed the xs slightly angle foward, which could contribute to that

Then it's exactly as I suspected, the way they are packaged has them compressed from the start and makes them less round.  The original M-80s were also angled as well. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #200 of 394

Then it's exactly as I suspected, the way they are packaged has them compressed from the start and makes them less round.  The original M-80s were also angled as well. 

i think so too, i found with the xs unlike the m100s i had to collapse it all the way (i mean the headband extension part) and squeeze the headphones a bit to fit it into the case

with the m100s (i had it at 4 clicks) and stored it away easily in the case (didn't have to adjust it)

vmoda really wanted to make this as compact as possible (squeezing down the smallest milimetre)

they got rid of the extra vstrap to hold the cables that came with the m100s as well (giving the case a flatter profile as well)

i noticed with the m100s the two vstraps plus cable made the case a bit thicker in profile

not really a problem for me, vmoda packages the headphone cables in a velcro thingy and i could put one cable in the vstrap and roll up the other one in the velcro squeezing it in between the headband

always need 2 cables just in case! you never know what might happen!

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #201 of 394
  i think so too, i found with the xs unlike the m100s i had to collapse it all the way (i mean the headband extension part) and squeeze the headphones a bit to fit it into the case

with the m100s (i had it at 4 clicks) and stored it away easily in the case (didn't have to adjust it)

vmoda really wanted to make this as compact as possible (squeezing down the smallest milimetre)

they got rid of the extra vstrap to hold the cables that came with the m100s as well (giving the case a flatter profile as well)

i noticed with the m100s the two vstraps plus cable made the case a bit thicker in profile

not really a problem for me, vmoda packages the headphone cables in a velcro thingy and i could put one cable in the vstrap and roll up the other one in the velcro squeezing it in between the headband

always need 2 cables just in case! you never know what might happen!

I forgot how my M-100's came packaged XD  When collapsed, it doesn't put as much pressure on the pads though in comparison to the XS IMO  There is one V-strap in the XS case, but it's a bit of a tight fit for the cable, so I don't use it :p  I place the cable in the area they are packaged actually, seems to be the perfect fit for them.

The M-100's case has two V-straps because it comes with two cables, I'm assuming this one only comes with 1 strap because it only comes with one cable.  I could be wrong though.

I've actually seen more and more companies use the Velcro cable wraps for their cables.  I know Moshi does it with their Mythro headphones, the Velcro is actually attached to the cable itself (kind of like how Dunu uses the rubber strap to do cable management). 

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #202 of 394
Two new videos on XS by Digital Trends and CNET

http://www.digitaltrends.com/hands-on-videos/vmoda-xs/#!CT0Yg

http://www.cnet.com/videos/v-moda-xs-next-gen-on-ear-headphone-is-markedly/

Great feedback so far, I can't wait to hear more!

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #204 of 394
I wore the XS for about 20 seconds with no clicks (no head adjustment) and it stretched the headband a bit. I flexed it back into original shape and it stops the little discomfort from using the XS with new pads for 2 hours, it now has no clamping and no worries. Excellent headphone.

You need to fight a bit to get perfect comfort like on the M100, but once you get it, you get an amazing seal with that V-MODA bass kicking in.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #206 of 394
I was thinking about the C&C Bh2 I think i'll go with it and the XS haha thanks everybody for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

Have an LP, and not a fan of V Moda audio quality although the build is great.  However, The BH2 is a wonderful little amp that is a $ bargain.
Enjoy!

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #207 of 394

Have an LP, and not a fan of V Moda audio quality although the build is great.  However, The BH2 is a wonderful little amp that is a $ bargain.
Enjoy!

The LP is not only an extremely old model, it's also the least audio-friendly model as well.  So saying you're not a fan of V-Moda audio quality because of the LP isn't really saying much, it's kind of a low blow XD  Have you tried the XS, M-80, or M-100?  The XS is probably the most audio-friendly of the bunch (signature-wise), then the M-80, then the M-100. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #209 of 394

Enjoy!

The LP is not only an extremely old model, it's also the least audio-friendly model as well.  So saying you're not a fan of V-Moda audio quality because of the LP isn't really saying much, it's kind of a low blow XD  Have you tried the XS, M-80, or M-100?  The XS is probably the most audio-friendly of the bunch (signature-wise), then the M-80, then the M-100. 

XS is the best out them all for clean sound. I love the sound of the M100, but since the M100 was made to address the problems of the LP2, V-Moda could appeal to an audiophile audience by releasing a full-sized XS. My budget is out, though. :p
I love the over ear and on ear combo. I don't think I'll be moving from V-M as a brand any time soon, customer service has set a standard for me for all customer services, I contact support and they shame themselves compared to V-M. The build quality and sound benefits what I do and listen to.
But it's up to you - but then again, people have been introduced to bose, ultrasone... even the dreaded Beats. You go with what you know and like.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #210 of 394
Just got my XS and listening to them straight from my iPhone. What a clean sound ! Everything is so balanced with lows extending the right amount and very nice mids and smooth treble. The bass hits hard when called for and is tight and controlled. My first V-Moda ever and I am very happy I bought the XS. Can hear the squeak of the guitar strings on Boston's Hitch a Ride ! I am trying to get the perfect fit so a little bit of juggling is called for initially. I just wish head phone makers would consider people that wore glasses with a little more empathy 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back