V-Moda vs Ultrasone HFI 780 vs M-Audio Q40 ?
Oct 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JohnLD

100+ Head-Fier
FIRST QUESTION: I own Sennheiser HD 439's, I am a bass junky, and listen mostly to dubstep and remixes of songs, should I buy the FIIO e11 amp with L9 LOD? or are the headphones listed in the title better?

SECOND QUESTION: Which of the headphones in my title are best for listening to heavy bass music?

OVER THE EAR CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES ONLY

Budget 100>300

comfortable, durable and attractive? ( nothing too bulky...ill be using these in public)

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Go ahead and get the Fiio now. Practically everyone here forays into that territory sooner or later lol. If that doesn't provide the bass you're looking for then the Hfi-780 should be good, won't break bank either. Make sure you find the 4ft cable version, not the 9ft. The V-modas ought to be warmer than the hfi780 and most likely better for dubstep since they're not so bright. Good luck with your decision :D

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 13
The 780 have more quality bass than quantity. 
If you're looking for a balance of quantity and quality try the HFI-580. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 13
Regarding the hfi580, I agree about the sq but I just can't recommend them for on the go. That 9ft long cable is ridiculous

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Ultrasone DJ1 (HFI-580 counterpart) or Ultrasone HFI-780.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 13
I second that on the DJ1s. I have them and they are just awesome. They work great with all the music I throw at them; awesome sound quality. As for your bass head needs, they are bassy but not boomy or bloated at all or anything like that. It will definitely play all your dubstep and bass heavy music just fine. And they have a coiled cable, so they work ok as a portable. Plus they look schweeeet :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 13
I bought the HFI780 recenty, its my first pair of real headphones, and i cant speak for the others, but IMO the 780 is amazing!! Its brilliant for EDM, and folds up for portability. Theyre very easy to drive, so you dont really need an amp.
I will say this, it took about 100hours of playtime/burn in for them to really start shining.
Hope you find a pair that suits you :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 13
I also have the Ultrasone HFI-780, and it is quite nice.  My only problem with them is that my head is apparently too small. So, I can't take full advantage of the sound because the cups don't cuddle my ears haha xD But, they are VERY clear.  You won't go wrong with these!

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 13
That Sennheiser ain't got no bass dude, you can EQ all the bass you have into it and it won't make a difference.

The Ultrasone is quality over quantity, you will be disappointed with the amount of bass it has. If you want a very bassy Ultrasone you need to step up to the more expensive models.

Go with V-Moda or M-audio plus FiiO E11 if you want an insane amount of bass. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
That Sennheiser ain't got no bass dude, you can EQ all the bass you have into it and it won't make a difference.

The Ultrasone is quality over quantity, you will be disappointed with the amount of bass it has. If you want a very bassy Ultrasone you need to step up to the more expensive models.

Go with V-Moda or M-audio plus FiiO E11 if you want an insane amount of bass. 

I find the bass on the HFI780 to be pretty much spot on, without any EQ settings. Im no basshead though. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 13
I have recently had the v-moda m80s, currently have the q40's and 780s.  I listen to primarily electronic music, but when testing headphones I try a wide variety of genres.  I run all my stuff out of my pc into my Fiio E11.  My very noobish take on it all follows.

V-moda's: Comfy and dead sexy, very quality build.  Very portable as well with nice accessories.  The sound was extremely good on the mids and highs, this is def the forte of this pair.  The bass was detailed, and not overemphasized.  For me, I like a bit more of a punchier, impactful sound.  (My sennheiser hd-25's are my ideal bass signature).

Q40's:  First pair i bought, portability is not really an option here.  These give a ridiculous amount of bass quantity, if that is what you desire, get an E11 and buy these.  I added the beyer velour pads aftermarket, and I would suggest you do the same if you get these.  All the other frequencies are there, yet I found the bass to be boomy and overwhelming.

HFI-780s:  Very comfy (for me).  Nice looking also.  The bass is extremely detailed in this set, and are excellent for the genres you listed.  The bass slams when amped.  The treble is  emphasized, it is a notch below grating.  I find the S-logic to be effective, and the soundstage is good for epic drops and trancey buildups.  

If you want portability as a main concern, and do not need super bombastic bass, the vmoda's would be my pick.  If you want the most bass and dont mind the large size, q40s would be the way i'd go.  The 780s are excellent sounding if you dont mind the treble spike, and they look really nice.  Hopefully you find this useful......

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
I have recently had the v-moda m80s, currently have the q40's and 780s.  I listen to primarily electronic music, but when testing headphones I try a wide variety of genres.  I run all my stuff out of my pc into my Fiio E11.  My very noobish take on it all follows.

V-moda's: Comfy and dead sexy, very quality build.  Very portable as well with nice accessories.  The sound was extremely good on the mids and highs, this is def the forte of this pair.  The bass was detailed, and not overemphasized.  For me, I like a bit more of a punchier, impactful sound.  (My sennheiser hd-25's are my ideal bass signature).

Q40's:  First pair i bought, portability is not really an option here.  These give a ridiculous amount of bass quantity, if that is what you desire, get an E11 and buy these.  I added the beyer velour pads aftermarket, and I would suggest you do the same if you get these.  All the other frequencies are there, yet I found the bass to be boomy and overwhelming.

HFI-780s:  Very comfy (for me).  Nice looking also.  The bass is extremely detailed in this set, and are excellent for the genres you listed.  The bass slams when amped.  The treble is  emphasized, it is a notch below grating.  I find the S-logic to be effective, and the soundstage is good for epic drops and trancey buildups.  

If you want portability as a main concern, and do not need super bombastic bass, the vmoda's would be my pick.  If you want the most bass and dont mind the large size, q40s would be the way i'd go.  The 780s are excellent sounding if you dont mind the treble spike, and they look really nice.  Hopefully you find this useful......

After a nice long burn in, i found the treble to settle down on the 780s. In terms of the size, they are quite large!! But they do fold up.. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Thankyou for actually answering my whole question! but with the V-modas, would you say they have better or equal bass signature to Beats? or less..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back