V Moda Vibes vs. Etymotic ER6i
Dec 12, 2006 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mindspin311

100+ Head-Fier
Which is better? They both cost the same, both have great reviews on the website, both look great. Its a hard decision, which would you go with?

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 22
I'm also very interested in this, as I just gave up on a pair of im616's. I'm hoping the vibes have better bass response and less of the stark high's of the im616's.

Anyone have a comparison of the vibes to the etys/ALs?

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 22
well, i gave my dad a pair of er6is as a present and the only gripe i have about them is the super high level of microphonics (but can be reduced by wearing them over the ear shure style) and the recessed bass. other people are satisfied with the bass of the er6i but not me. the good things about the er6i is the high level of isolation and the extreme clarity. works extremely well with classical music that doesnt need that much soundstage

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 22
One is an IEM and the other is supposed to be fun-sounding canal phone that wouldn't isolate to the same degree as the IEM. Much of your decision would come down to what you placed the most value on: isolation and detail, or bassier fun.

I have the ER6i's, and wouldn't get on a train, bus or airplane without them or a similarly isolating in-ear monitor. Although I haven't heard the Vibes yet (still waiting to hear yours when you get them, P.C.G.), but I've had several canal phones (lately I like the Creative EP 630's) that I've used in "everyday" situations such as at the office, and from what some Head-Fi members claim, the new Vibes canal phones should be a lot of fun.

"Fun" is not what one thinks of with the Etymotics -- they're high-quality, good-sounding, highly detailed monitors that enable music listening in loud surroundings, but they're not bassy in the way some consumers prefer and so may be an acquired taste. On the other hand, the Vibes and other bass-rich canal phones might be lower-maintenance "fun" earphones that have to rely on trying to "drown out" surrounding sound rather than blocking it out the way isolators do.

So, it depends what your expectations and preferences are ... the "safe" answer would be to get both, for different circumstances (money being no object, of course!).

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 22
I hate my ER6i, so get the Vibes!
icon10.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 22
So the vibes would have the solid bass of the Sony/Creative/Cx300? That's good, but do they carry more detail than those listed?

The etys are extremely accurate, but more for critical listening. It is really hard to get into the music and really enjoy it with the etys/IM (for me anyways), though the clarity and detail blew me away and uncovered nuances I had never noticed before. But alas...they were not for me.

So...is it safe to say the Vibes have the nice bass of current canalphones, but with a higher level of detail in the mid/high range? Thats what I'm looking for...or for the money should I just stick with my Marshmallows?

Dec 24, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

why? I was planning on getting them... what makes them so bad? Other than the microphonics...

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

The Er6i's are straight terrible for my needs. They have a great seal and detailed highs. TO me, the Super Fi 3's are much better. I have yet to hear the Vibes. I may just go buy some in the next half hour.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 22
Extreme bump

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 22
I bought the vibes a while back, but they broke in about two weeks. After that I bought the ety's and have been extremely happy. Yeah they have terrible cables, but once you get past that they sound great, much better than the vibes to me( the bass is substatial). Plus they're more comfortable.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Fun" is not what one thinks of with the Etymotics...

This is a horrible, horrible lie! A lie, I tell you! LIIIIIIE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ok computer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah they have terrible cables...

I have developed a very easy and cheap mod to deal with the problem of cable microphonics present in both the Etymotic earphones.

Simply wrap a small strip of electrical tape around both individual driver wires, lashing them together, near your neck, leaving a bit of room for comfort's sake between the join and your neck, so that you can open your mouth and such with the IEMs in. This stabilizes the "pigtails," preventing them from bouncing around and smacking against your face, clothing, hair, earrings and each other.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 22
The Etymotic Er6i is an excellent earphone. Based on many many reviews from people prior and during my purchase, I have found their complaints to be understandable. It is "weak" on the bass and its thumpiness, if it was a category, could not be spoken in the same breath as say the Sennheiser CX300s, which were the earphones I used prior to trying these out; however, it is extremely accurate and is meant to be for someone who wishes to hear what the producer had in mind in the production of the song. The bass, is by no means, weak - it is when people are used to hearing "loud thumpy bass" and equate that with "sound quality". Thumpy bass does not necessarily equal good earphones. It takes some time for your ears to adjust this new adjustment FOR SURE.

Strongs:
- Very clear and enhancement of song listening experience
- Strong yet natural sounding trebles, equaled with an acceptable amount of bass
- Superior Noise Isolation/Insulation - you'll not be able to hear nearby people talking and the noise from the bus will be dramatically reduced, especially if you're sitting in the middle of the bus

- Comes with a pouch for your earphones so they don't get damaged

- A shirt clip so that the wires will not jump up and down while you're doing a physically exhaustive task such as running.

- From what I've read, Etymotic provides EXCELLENT service - they will send items to you to help you out (i.e. different sized earbuds if you can't find the proper fit) or if your Etymotics for some reason do not work, you can ask them to take a look for you (and they'll be very happy to do so AND replace it)

Weaknesses:
- "Lack of bass" - if you came off the CX300s and listened to these afterward, you'll be really disappointed in this department
- Superior Isolation - very dangerous on the road - this is NOT my complaint; I purposely chose this as a specific feature at the cost of safety. But for some people, they'll find this feature far too effective for their own good. Use common sense.

- Earbuds, depending on your earcanals, may not fit. However, Etymotic Research will do a good job of providing sample eartips for you to try. It will take time (not that long) for you to master the insertion of these buds

Final Decision: An EXCELLENT earphone at an EXCELLENT PRICE. I paid near the exact retail of these phones but it's still worth it even though the overpayment might have been 50-60 dollars more. Etymotic earphones ARE worth it.

Song Genres most appropriate for this: Songs that don't require too much bass. Classical songs could arguably be the most ideal choice listening, although R&B and some Rock songs sound more than acceptable. The instrumentals in all these songs could be thoroughly heard - ESPECIALLY the classical songs. BEAUTIFUL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back