V-Moda Vibes Build Quality?
Jul 2, 2008 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

trancenweather

New Head-Fier
I have read a LOT of negative posts about the build quality (left earbud shorting out, cable fraying) of the Vibes. I really want these as they are made for trance/drum n bass, I'm told.

I'm confused as heck about the various generations of Vibe...is the current one better than previous ones as far as build quality?? I'm ready to buy but not if these won't hold up. I'd use them lifting weights listening to trance.

Thanks for your help. And did this test (Headphoneinfo.com) not burn in the Vibes? What a horrible review: V-MODA Vibe Duo Headphones Review - In-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

P.S. Just found Facebook's V-Moda Vibe fan page: V-MODA Headset Owners Club | Facebook

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 5
I actually write for that site. It sucks to hear you didn't like the review, but I'm honestly just happy to see people actually read our stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancenweather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And did this test (Headphoneinfo.com) not burn in the Vibes?

We do burn in the headphones before we test them, typically from 10-20 hours. We generally just wear them around for a while on our daily commute for a few days, and then again for another seven hours for the two comfort tests. Some headphones might need a longer burn-in time, but in the interest of publishing timely reviews, it's not really feasible to let headphones burn in for much longer.

Quote:

I have read a LOT of negative posts about the build quality (left earbud shorting out, cable fraying) of the Vibes.

In regards to the Vibes and their durability issues, someone in our office had the cable shear at the plug after a month or two of use. Having fiddled around with the review unit for a while, I can see how that could happen. The cord guards are all hard plastic, so the cable can bend at a very sharp angle if you just shove them in your pocket. If the cord keeps bending at an extreme angle like that, it could lead to the wires fraying internally, which is why some people report one channel cutting out. A good cord guard is stiff, but bends, so the cord never has a point where it can fold in on itself.

Quote:

What a horrible review: V-MODA Vibe Duo Headphones Review - In-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

Please, send me an email. The site is still being developed, so I'm ridiculously eager to read criticisms and suggestions in the interest of making the site better.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 5
I have the vibes and mine came away at the ear!
Glad they did otherwise I would never of started the hunt for new phones which lead me to headfi!
Which lead me to grados which lead to AKG which lead to amps which lead me to better amps which lead to new iem's which lead to empty wallet!!
Actually now I think I hate those vibes! LOL

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the vibes and mine came away at the ear!
Glad they did otherwise I would never of started the hunt for new phones which lead me to headfi!
Which lead me to grados which lead to AKG which lead to amps which lead me to better amps which lead to new iem's which lead to empty wallet!!
Actually now I think I hate those vibes! LOL

LOL...that's what happened to me with home audio equipment and Steriophile. I ended up with some moderately decent equipment but no money.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 5
my vibes have been great since I got them (Feb 07). Did a warranty exchange about 8 months after I got them due to the cable getting stiff. The new pair I got was the newer version with a better jack cover.

For SQ, differently skewed toward muddy bass. Mids sorta there, highs there but not really.

It's funny how there was a super long thread about the vibes when they came out. Just about everyone said they kicked ass. Then now just about everyone says they suck ass.

Kinda wished I would have waited and got something else. Heh at least whenever I can get the money together, I'm going to get livewires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back