V-Moda Vibe hype: am I missing something?
Feb 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Drover

New Head-Fier
Let's start with the usual qualifications:
  1. This is the first pair of in-ear headphones I've owned so I'm new to this.
  2. I have not listened to other high-quality in-ear phones for a basis of comparison.
  3. Yes, I have "burned them in" for nearly 100 hours even as I remain skeptical of the whole concpet.
  4. Yes, they are "sealed" as I listen to them.
I bought the V-Moda Vibes because I wanted something portable that would fit in my school backpack with my 38 books and computer and would not break. In addition to the portability factor, I bought them based on a combination of price and positive feedback from both tech-type magazines and "regular Joe" users. I have found them to be a mixed bag. Maybe my expectations were a bit high, because I have to say I'm not all that impressed overall.

First, I find the high bass/low midrange to be overdriven and muddled. (Maybe this is part of the "curve" that is built into these things?) Fortunately they do respond well to equalization, and that portion of the frequency response range can be cleaned up with the right EQ settings. Still, I'd rather not have to devote processing power to EQ just to correct what I consider a headphone deficiency, or at a minimum, a headphone peculiarity.

Second, I'm a little disappointed with the bass overall. My basis of comparison is a pair of Koss-built Radio Shack Pro 35A over-ear headphones that I bought for $30. The bass on the 35As seems more responsive and much cleaner throughout the low frequency ranges and delivers a better overall "punch" without being excessively "bass-y." Surely some of this can be attributed to driver size, but was I out of line to expect a pair of $100 in-ear headphones to at least come close to approximating the bass response of a pair of $30 over-ear headphones?

I will say the midrange and treble on the Vibes are remarkable. In fact it's disconcerting how truly bad some of my mp3s sound as the Vibes reveal imperfections that the 35A's don't. Even some of my 192kbps files that sound perfectly fine through the 35A's sound choppy through the Vibes. On this point, it seems the compression software used to create the files makes a huge difference.

Anyway, was I expecting too much from these headphones? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 29
Not to get off subject but how do you haul around 38 books and a laptop in a backpack?

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to get off subject but how do you haul around 38 books and a laptop in a backpack?

Uh, well, the "38" figure is a slight exaggeration. Point being, my backpack gets quite full and my over-the-head open-ears don't fold sufficiently to fit well in my backpack and they risk being broken whenever I do put them in there.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 29
Ok, it is just that I have seen some backpacks too full because of no storage area for books for students and it is even causing back problems.

I find the Vibes need some break-in. How long have you been using them?

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 29
Sounds like you're another person for whom the original tips are not working as well as they might. It seems that we're a minority but not statistically insignificant.

Get these and convert them to biflanges. the bass should tighten right up.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 29
Wow. Does that much of the Vibe's sound hinge on good tips? Because at times, my V-Modas disappoint me, but is this only because I can't get the perfect seal?

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Does that much of the Vibe's sound hinge on good tips? Because at times, my V-Modas disappoint me, but is this only because I can't get the perfect seal?

That's been my experience but I can only speak for me. Insertion technique matters too - angle them up during insertion to direct the sound properly into yours ear canals.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 29
I have to say I haven't been overly amazed by them, but they are a nice headphone. I guess with all the hype, I expected them to transcend music itself
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 29
Ya bass should not be muddy so there is definitely a seal issue, try a different type of fittings. (it might seem sealed to you with current fittings, but it still could be not, there are ALOT of factors at play inside your ear canal). And your bitrate needs to go up =]

The hype is based on the fact that they are fun,versatile, musical, and yet have good detail, and are comfortable, for $100. If you wanted something to transcend music, UE-10pro is for you :wink:.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 29
Yes they seem slightly overwhelming, but most earphones in this price range is lacking in aspects the Vibes excel in. That's what's so cool aboot it
wink.gif

Plus, it's probably the most comfortable in it's range.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 29
And there really is a problem with this overhyped business. I read so many "oh my GOD it's amazing!" reviews of Capote that by the time I saw the movie, I was disappointed. It was just a movie. The Vibes are just $100 IEMs with a rather good soundstage and a nice involving warm sound. I think that they're wondeful for a commute but don't expect a back-to-god experience.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 29
I've fiddled with the tips and messed with different ways of putting them in. Fit seems to be pretty important with these things. Once I get it though, they sound pretty good to me. This is my first set of IEM's (coming from Grado's), so I can't offer any comparative evaluation.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 29
You will find that with any FOTM item, they are usually overhyped. When you point out: Hey these aren't as good as everyone says" the masses of fanboys will come out and say, "You MUST burn these in for 5000 hours playing nothing but whitenoise and Elvis Presley. You MUST have them amped, and if you still thik they suck, you arent wearing them right"

I have not heard the Vibes, but I can say, different strokes for different folks. If you do nto like them, well then maybe look at a different IEM. Might I suggest the etymotic ER6i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back