V-moda vibe generation/revision confusion
Aug 25, 2008 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

creso

New Head-Fier
After weighing out all my options for new IEM's I think I'm gonna go with the V-moda vibe's (on sale for $60 @ costco). What I want to know before I buy them is whats the deal with the revisions and generational differences. After searching this forum I've gathered that people prefer the 1st gen. vibe's.

What I want to know is if I can find out which generation the vibe's are just by looking at the packaging (if it helps costco has the gunmetal black and the red roxx colors)

I also want to know, assuming that the vibe's at the store are the latest generation, are they comparable to the gen. 1 vibe's, and are they worth the $60 price tag.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 10
You might be careful about Costco. I bought some Lenntek Sonix from them that are fakes. It isn't too terribly difficult to fake a Lenntek Sonix and that's the same with the Vibes.

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 10
The Vibes would be a poor choice ... whatever generation you get, they are renouned for poor build quality and they don't even sound that good for the price. The only good thing that can be said about them is they look cool ... get some Denon AH-C551 instead, and you'll have the cool looks combined with a far superior sounding canalphone.

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 10
The problem is that I can only get what I can find in a physical retail store because I have a flight tomorrow, so that severely narrows my options and makes everything twice as expensive.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Vibes would be a poor choice ... whatever generation you get, they are renouned for poor build quality and they don't even sound that good for the price. The only good thing that can be said about them is they look cool ... get some Denon AH-C551 instead, and you'll have the cool looks combined with a far superior sounding canalphone.

poor build quality? complete lie

Sound quality is a bit low for around $100, but for $60? I'd go for it.

Plus Costco has a great return policy.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 10
I was there when the Vibes received a 180 degree turn from being adored to being hated. I dont understand what the hatred is all about. They are fantastic earphones and always have been, even in comparison to others in the same category. The only thing i'd say is they're priced a bit high (probably for their metal housing). Also remember that if ure gonna use them on the plane, they might not isolate as well as some other IEMs as they're semi-isolated earphones.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
poor build quality? complete lie.

My Vibes lasted less than 3 months before I completely lost sound from the right bud (the cable had broken where it meets the jack) and when I Googled to see if anyone else had had the same experience I came across dozens of reports of the same issue.

Just looking at reviews on Amazon UK as an example of what I mean ...

Amazon.co.uk: V-Moda Vibe Duo - Nero: Electronics & Photo

... 10 reviews in total, and 9 of them are just 1 star.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus Costco has a great return policy.

Just as well, as if you buy the Vibes you'll want a good returns policy.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was there when the Vibes received a 180 degree turn from being adored to being hated. I dont understand what the hatred is all about.

The 180 degree turn probably came about 2-3 months after they were released and everyone started to notice that they were losing sound in one or both buds.

The Vibes were the first ever pair of "quality" IEMs/canal phones that I bought, and I can remember feeling disapointed with them from day one. I've bought various other headphones since (some good, and some not so good) and never felt that same level of disapointment ... I was actually relieved when they stopped working, as it meant I could justify buying something else.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 10
the vibe duos which i have owned are shockingly terrible in build quality. over the course of the year warranty i had 3 pairs the last giving up the ghost after a little over 2 weeks of moderate use, it looks as though the redesigned the cable but now that i am out of warranty i dont see myself purchasing a pair just to get burned again so i will keep my wallet far far away from v-moda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back