V-Moda Vibe Duo [vs.] NuForce NE-7M
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 18
I'm just barely past you in IEM experience. My limited usage and IEM sampling says that there's a big difference between those that are bassy and spread that thoughout the spectrum ("muddy"), versus those that have good bass that doesn't muddy up the rest of the spectrum.

My impression from reading is that the V-Modas do the former, while 5 months with the NE-7M's, supplemented by quality time spent with Hippo VB, M11P and M9P all show the latter type of bass to varying degrees. The VBs (gaining a reputation for clear, deep bass) showed me how good deep bass can sound, but they were a little too far in that direction for my tastes (like the bass player was the featured performer), while the others, none "bass-light", tend toward a more evenly balanced sound spectrum.

I'm listening to new M9Ps on my Blackberry (less bass than my iPod Classic; my new replacement NE-7Ms are burning in at home) as I type this and they sound detailed and clear with John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin's bass player) nicely balanced with Plant, Page and Jon Bonham. Now k.d. lang is up on "Shuffle All" with her wonderful voice and the high xylophone notes in the background well-represented, while the string bass is certainly apparent but not dominant. I'm amazed that my old ears are hearing details that the MEElecs reveal compared to the NuForce's lush, slightly more engaging warmth. Subtle differences on similar SQs.

My advice: return the V-Modas after you buy NE-7M's or M9P's (my two faves at the moment) and get a chance to compare. If you're listening more on the iPod Classic, the M9P's might be slightly better for that bassier source; on your Blackberry, the NE-7M's would be fantastic, and still fine with the iPod. Or get both and use one with each (my plan).

Whatever you chose, be sure to look for tip recommendations, too. Different ones can make a substantial change in the SQ. I'm using Shure E2c silicones on all the IEMs cited above.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #17 of 18
From personal experience, stay the hell away from V-Moda.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #18 of 18
This may be a dumb questions, but... Do earphones adjust the music once it's playing. What I mean is, I was listening to my iPod on Shuffle all songs, and when a new song came on, it didn't sound very good, but seemed to change a few seconds after it began. The sound seemed to adjust. Is this possible, or is it just my ears getting used to each song?

And for all the peaople who think negatively about V-Moda, that's fine, but can you be specific please. Comments like "stay the hell away", aren't very helpful without further explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back