V-moda verza vs Fostex HP-P1
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

soundofpraise

New Head-Fier
Has anybody done a comparison between these 2 DAC/amps? I've been looking into getting the verza or the HP-P1. I would also like to know if there are other good DAC/amps out there that is compatible with iPhone 5 that costs less than $600.

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 26
What functions are you looking for?  If you only need to drive low impedance IEMs with iPhone 5 and don't use FLAC, then I strongly suggest the VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon ($523).  The V-MODA VERZA was based on VC's Go-DAP X, and the SDT is the successor to that.  The only draw back to the SDT so far has been the lack of power compare to the VERZA, but this is a non-issue for IEMs and low-impedance cans, as both my Sennheiser Momentum and V-MODA M-100 sounded fine with it.  The Fostex HP-P1 is getting a bit outdated in my option but still a good pick, and it is one of the few, if not the only one, that still function with iDevices while charging.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 26
What functions are you looking for?  If you only need to drive low impedance IEMs with iPhone 5 and don't use FLAC, then I strongly suggest the VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon ($523).  The V-MODA VERZA was based on VC's Go-DAP X, and the SDT is the successor to that.  The only draw back to the SDT so far has been the lack of power compare to the VERZA, but this is a non-issue for IEMs and low-impedance cans, as both my Sennheiser Momentum and V-MODA M-100 sounded fine with it.  The Fostex HP-P1 is getting a bit outdated in my option but still a good pick, and it is one of the few, if not the only one, that still function with iDevices while charging.

Functions im looking for include bass boost, a long battery life, compatible w/ iPhone 5. I have plenty of songs I purchased on iTunes. Is there a way to convert them to a flac format? Btw, does iphone 5 support flac?

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:
Functions im looking for include bass boost, a long battery life, compatible w/ iPhone 5. I have plenty of songs I purchased on iTunes. Is there a way to convert them to a flac format? Btw, does iphone 5 support flac?

It will only be a waste of space to up convert iTunes M4As into FLAC, and the none of the iDevices support FLAC natively.  Bass boost is easy via the EQ10 or SonicMax Pro app, and the VERZA will definitely give you a bass boost given it's power (130mW in iAMP or 150mW in USB mode).

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 26
I really wish someone would design a portable Airplay DAC/AMP soon.  Wouldn't it be great not even needing to physically attach it to your iphone. Supporting USB host mode is an unnecessary burden on a device.  The other advantage of Airplay is then you could seemlessly use it between desktop or phone.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
I really wish someone would design a portable Airplay DAC/AMP soon.  Wouldn't it be great not even needing to physically attach it to your iphone. Supporting USB host mode is an unnecessary burden on a device.  The other advantage of Airplay is then you could seemlessly use it between desktop or phone.

Actually that's very doable now with Apple TV.  Just hook up your favorite amp with it and it's done.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 26
It will only be a waste of space to up convert iTunes M4As into FLAC, and the none of the iDevices support FLAC natively.  Bass boost is easy via the EQ10 or SonicMax Pro app, and the VERZA will definitely give you a bass boost given it's power (130mW in iAMP or 150mW in USB mode).

Really thank for all your help DrSheep. You're one cool dude!
So the verza would be the best option for my taste for bass? I have read on a thread that the sounddroid typhoon has one DAC in it. Does that have a significance over the 2 chips in the verza?

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:
Really thank for all your help DrSheep. You're one cool dude!
So the verza would be the best option for my taste for bass? I have read on a thread that the sounddroid typhoon has one DAC in it. Does that have a significance over the 2 chips in the verza?

Thanks, and not for that reason.  The VERZA has 2 DAC but you can only use 1 at a time.  Officially you can only use iDevices in iAMP mode which has 130mW max output, but unofficially you can use them with USB-DAC mode for 150mW power!  This is why for bass the VERZA is better, because the SDT officially only listed 80mW power and I can hear the difference.  Even without an amp, you can add bass by using EQ10 or SonicMax Pro.  Hardware wise there a lot of much cheaper options that you can use as a bass booster too (e.g., JDS Lab CmoyBB.)

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 26
Thanks, and not for that reason.  The VERZA has 2 DAC but you can only use 1 at a time.  Officially you can only use iDevices in iAMP mode which has 130mW max output, but unofficially you can use them with USB-DAC mode for 150mW power!  This is why for bass the VERZA is better, because the SDT officially only listed 80mW power and I can hear the difference.  Even without an amp, you can add bass by using EQ10 or SonicMax Pro.  Hardware wise there a lot of much cheaper options that you can use as a bass booster too (e.g., JDS Lab CmoyBB.)

Ok I have made up my mind now on getting that verza.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
Ok I have made up my mind now on getting that verza.

Good deal, I think you will be happy with it.  However, you may have to consider 1, get a short Lightning to USB interconnect as the VERZA doesn't come with one; 2, get the Metallo case for the iPhone 5.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
Actually that's very doable now with Apple TV.  Just hook up your favorite amp with it and it's done.

Problem is being portable or battery powered... it should not be a stretch to imagine a dedicated Airplay DAC/Amp all in one package no bigger then an iPod touch for example since that too supports airplay, think replacing the screen with a bigger battery and of course great quality dac and amp chips.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:
Problem is being portable or battery powered... it should not be a stretch to imagine a dedicated Airplay DAC/Amp all in one package no bigger then an iPod touch for example since that too supports airplay, think replacing the screen with a bigger battery and of course great quality dac and amp chips.

True, but in what situation will you use such a device?  Apple won't make it as it will just cut down on iPod sales, and 3rd parties most likely won't do it either as it require licenses from Apple, plus a mobile rig will likely to have it's own source.  The only way I can see that might work is for high end car audio, but that's really a niche market as bluetooth is the norm...

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
True, but in what situation will you use such a device?  Apple won't make it as it will just cut down on iPod sales, and 3rd parties most likely won't do it either as it require licenses from Apple, plus a mobile rig will likely to have it's own source.  The only way I can see that might work is for high end car audio, but that's really a niche market as bluetooth is the norm...

It would sell like hotcakes... that is why. I would use it in the same situation i currently use a wired amp to my iPhone or desktop computer, just without the wire and without the compression of bluetooth.  What would make it really awesome is being say smaller then today's wired portable dac/amps.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
It would sell like hotcakes... that is why. I would use it in the same situation i currently use a wired amp to my iPhone or desktop computer, just without the wire and without the compression of bluetooth.  What would make it really awesome is being say smaller then today's wired portable dac/amps.

You forgot that AirPlay needs WiFi and it is not exactly a one to one connection, so unless you want to setup a mobile router on batteries (which can be done), your are not making the setup any better.  What you show look at is to do it via Kleer Audio RF, which is uncompressed realtime wireless audio.  Both Sennheiser and Sleek Audio has done it before, but it wasn't popular because of bluetooth...

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
You forgot that AirPlay needs WiFi and it is not exactly a one to one connection, so unless you want to setup a mobile router on batteries (which can be done), your are not making the setup any better.  What you show look at is to do it via Kleer Audio RF, which is uncompressed realtime wireless audio.  Both Sennheiser and Sleek Audio has done it before, but it wasn't popular because of bluetooth...

yours would be a great idea if iphones supported Kleer Audio out of the box... i'm not forgetting Airplay uses WiFi, just assuming you would establish a p2p network in the same way as AirDrop.  iPhone WiFi chips do p2p no problem. Optionally the dac/amp establishes itself as a router broadcasting it's own network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back