V-Moda, Shure, Denon, Sennheiser
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RyAnBoMb14

New Head-Fier
I have been looking at all of these brands for the past 4 days trying to find my first real pair of over ear headphones. I have UE Triple.Fi10 earbuds right now and gets uncomfortable after awhile. I need some good headphones for music and movies. I mainly listen to Trance. (Buuren) Portability is not really a concern for me since I dont travel alot.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 15
For V-Moda, Go with the M-100's or the M-80's. For Sennheisser, Try the Mommentums, or the Amperiors. For Shure, try the SRH240A. And for Denon, it's your choice. they have alot of great products.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Yea that was the problem deciding on what to get out of them i heard mixed reviews on them. If you were to pick one. Which would you get if you had my budget.  I was heard some phones you needed a amp also.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Yea that was the problem deciding on what to get out of them i heard mixed reviews on them. If you were to pick one. Which would you get if you had my budget.  I was heard some phones you needed a amp also.

Actually, i own the M-100's. A friend of mine owns the Momentums and the Shures. In my own opinion, the Momentums are the champs.

Here's my best comparison (ill also add a couple more headphones):

7 - Audio-Technica ATH-M50
6 - Shure SRH240A
5 - Bowers & Wilkins P5
4 - V-Moda Crossfade
3 - Sennheisser Amperiors
2 - Sony MDR-1R
1 - Sennheisser Momentums.

But all of these are Closed back, these are portable headphones that i recommendd. Feel free to ask anymore detail about them.

Also you dont need an amp, it's your own choice if you want to achieve better sound quality.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Actually, i own the M-100's. A friend of mine owns the Momentums and the Shures. In my own opinion, the Momentums are the champs.

6 - Shure SRH240A
5 - Bowers & Wilkins P5
4 - V-Moda Crossfade
2 - Sony MDR-1R

But all of these are Closed back, these are portable headphones that i recommendd. Feel free to ask anymore detail about them.

Also you dont need an amp, it's your own choice if you want to achieve better sound quality.

There's only one problem with the above users suggestions, the Momentum's will only fit if you have smurf ears.  I honestly don't think the B&Ws sound that great and I don't like teh build quality.  I personally enjoy my Denon D600s the most for any kind of EDM, they're super comfortable and they will fit you regardless of your ear size (i have big ears).  I have better-sounding headphones (if neutrality is what you're after) but my Denon D600s are too much fun and they're not too far off of neutral (judging from the frequency range graph).  I personally think with Trance music that having a headphone with good bass reproduction goes along way.  The Sony MDR-1R get great reviews along with the Momentums.  My list differs a little bit:

5 - Sennheiser HD280 PRO ($99)
4 - V-Moda M100 ($300)
3 - Sony MDR-1R ($200)
2 - Denon D600 ($300 on ebay brand new)
1 - Sennheisser Momentums ($350)

I couldn't fit my ears into the Momentums and I really find it absolutely mind-boggling why they would make a pair of headphones with the tiniest ear cups that I've ever seen.  Anyway good luck with your choice and remember that in the end, it's all about your personal preference.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 15
Are all the headphones listed closed back or are some of them open back? Don't closed back tend to get warm around the ears. I know they say its all about personal opinion but since I havent heard many headphones I was told open back provides better sound.  Portability isnt a concern of mine eitheer.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Are all the headphones listed closed back or are some of them open back? Don't closed back tend to get warm around the ears. I know they say its all about personal opinion but since I havent heard many headphones I was told open back provides better sound.  Portability isnt a concern of mine eitheer.

All of the Headphones that i suggested are closed back.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 15

Mine are all closed too. Closed doesn't mean warm.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

6 - Shure SRH240A
5 - Bowers & Wilkins P5
4 - V-Moda Crossfade
2 - Sony MDR-1R

Sorry to hijack thread but im also in the market for some new cans....
Anyways "If" you were to buy again would you choose the momentums over the m100 you got or it would be the mdr 1r..

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 15
If you want open back, the Philips Fidelio X1 is awesome. You can get them from Amazon at less than $300. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Sorry to hijack thread but im also in the market for some new cans....
Anyways "If" you were to buy again would you choose the momentums over the m100 you got or it would be the mdr 1r..

I'd definitlely buy the Momentums again. Though the Momentums are expensive, so id just go for another pair of the Sony's.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
If you want open back, the Philips Fidelio X1 is awesome. You can get them from Amazon at less than $300. 

This is a great idea if you don't 100% need closed back headphones.  I hear wonderful things about them and I almost bought a pair a month ago.  The only negative thing I've read about them is that the earpads aren't replaceable and the cable has a high impedance (you can buy a vmoda cable as a replacement).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back