V-Moda M80, Vsonic GR07, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, Fischer DBA-02, or Hifiman RE262?
Jun 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tuanh714

New Head-Fier
Hello fellows,

I've recently saved up enough for one of the above mentioned IEM or portable headphones. The thing is, I can't decide between portable headphones or IEM's. I know that, from the reviews here, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Vmoda M80s are like polar opposites, only similar in their indestructability. The thing is, I'm not sure how fatiguing the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II is, (not worried about clamp force), it was stated in a couple reviews that their highs may have a bit of a cold edge to them. Therefore, I am slightly leaning towards the Vmoda M80.

Now, on to the IEM's. I've read many reviews about those, and it seems like they are awesome bang for the buck IEM's. I have a portable amp and so I wouldn't mind using that on the Hifiman RE262. It's just, all of them seem to fit my musical tastes quite well. I would absolutely love the liquid mids from the Hifiman RE262 that people have constantly reported, the analytical edge of the Fischer DBA-02, or the all-around neutrality of the Vsonic GR07. I wouldn't mind the V-Moda M80's softer higher end compared to the Senn's, but I wouldn't mind the harshness of the Senn's much (though maybe over a longer period of time, I would get annoyed.)

I listen to classical, jazz, pop, rock, some metal, electronic (techno/dubstep), RNB, rap, nearly everything.

Edgar Meyer, Yo-Yo Ma, Adele, MGMT, The Killers, Yanni, Yoshida Brothers, etc.

I know that a pair of IEM's at the same price as the above mentioned headphones will do light years better with much better isolation, but I really can't choose.

Any people who have had these before, any comments or help?

I am willing to spend anything up to about $220 (well that $20 would be for extra accessories).

I've been buying budget headphones/earphones for a while and so I think it's time for me to move up and see just how good audiophile or mid-fi products are. :D 

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Btw, I've gone through |Joker|'s whole list of headphones, IEM's in both his huge reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

and

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-244-iems-compared-yamaha-eph-100-monster-miles-davis-trumpet-06-19-12

Just thought I'd ask around for more opinions, and not be limited to one person. Though he seems quite the reviewer.

And maybe on quite a long stretch, the AKG k550 have caught my attention for a while now. There are few reviews in regards to those. Any help on those too?

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 7
First, ask yourself this:

Do you need a lot of isolation?
If yes, then you need to scratch headphones off your list.
Even the best isolating headphones struggle if compared to IEM's in a very noisy environment.

How long will you be using it for? Which would be more comfortable?
This is a question you need to answer yourself. Some are more comfortable with IEM's, some with headphones...

Do note that two headphones that you mention above (V-Moda M80 and Senn's HD25) are supra-aural, and therefore less comfortable then circumaural phones.

And last but not least, What sound signature you're looking for?
For example, the DBA-02 and the HD25 sound signature is like night and day.

What type of SS do you like?
Sparkly Treble (usually associated with being more Analytical)? Forward mids? Boomy bass?

In the end, it's what and where will you use your portable rig for...
If you will be using it while walking down the streets, better get some headphones because it's really dangerous to wear an IEM outside in the traffic.

If you will be using it in a noisy environment, better get an IEM so you can enjoy your music more without ambient noise.

I did briefly used a HD25, and I would say both an IEM and a headphone have different purposes in my life.
If you can get one IEM and one Headphones, I think that would be best.
This is just a personal opinion though.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Wow, thanks for your insight. Hm, walking around with IEM's sound quite tempting, to just block myself out from the world, but potentially life threatening. For a college student, jay walking is iminent.... I might get hit with a car lol.

But then again, I do my fair share of studying indoors. So thats why I can't choose right now.

IN regards to what kind of SS (or whatever you said), I don't mind sparkly treble, or somewhat of an analytical edge, as long as it is not TOO harsh or sibilant. My ears are quite sensitive to that. I REALLY do not like boomy bass. I very much prefer very well extended and tight/punchy bass, though I've read that all of the above mentioned should not have any problems.

I'm not an audiophile by far, and I really haven't... I don't know how to put it into words, decided on my sound signature yet. Maybe I haven't listened to enough headphones to discern what I like, or because I haven't bought one pair that I have absolutely fallen in love with. I am constantly switching >.>

So... Yeah, it's all a puzzle for me. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 7
The GR07 will be PERFECT for your needs. I loved the Goat Rodeo Sessions and both of Adele's albums on the GR07. Rock just shines on it too. 

I reviewed it and compared it to several other top tiers like the FX700 and IE8 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection

Good luck!

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Wow, thanks for your insight. Hm, walking around with IEM's sound quite tempting, to just block myself out from the world, but potentially life threatening. For a college student, jay walking is iminent.... I might get hit with a car lol.

But then again, I do my fair share of studying indoors. So thats why I can't choose right now.

IN regards to what kind of SS (or whatever you said), I don't mind sparkly treble, or somewhat of an analytical edge, as long as it is not TOO harsh or sibilant. My ears are quite sensitive to that. I REALLY do not like boomy bass. I very much prefer very well extended and tight/punchy bass, though I've read that all of the above mentioned should not have any problems.

I'm not an audiophile by far, and I really haven't... I don't know how to put it into words, decided on my sound signature yet. Maybe I haven't listened to enough headphones to discern what I like, or because I haven't bought one pair that I have absolutely fallen in love with. I am constantly switching >.>

So... Yeah, it's all a puzzle for me. 

If you like to walk around AND study indoors using a phone, then I think the HD25 will be best for you.
Isolation is good but not so much that you can't hear cars passing by, but good enough so that your music won't disturb those around you.

The HD25 also fits your sound signature requirements, V-Shaped, slightly recessed mids, and bass is tight 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back