V-Moda M80 or Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii
Jan 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
So, I've been looking at these two headphones for portable use. Both look great (I'm thinking of the Adidas originals on the HD25s). I've heard both of them, albeit briefly, and liked them both for different reasons. Both seem to be built like tanks.

I'm on the fence on which one to get, or if I need another headphone like I need another hole in my head (of course I do
evil_smiley.gif
).

Just fill out the poll and tell me what YOU personally would get, since I can't make up my mind one way or another.

Vs.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Same dilemna, mainly because they're, as |joker| eloquently put it, yin and yang. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 6
I own both and love them both. but the HD25 is my favorite on ear portable ever.
but it all comes down to what sound you prefer really. my favorite genres are prog rock - metal and the HD25 has a nice punch and is great for instrumental. the M80 is better for vocal based genres. lastly the HD25 isolated a great deal more.

So I say get both and be happy.

ps: glad you didnt include the beyer DT1350.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
ps: glad you didnt include the beyer DT1350.

No, because the DT1350 is way to small and feels kinda flimsy and is really finicky as far as fit due to the small size. I honestly can't remember how it sounded when I heard it, so it must not have wowed me.

<edit> I didn't hear the DT1350 but rather the T50p which is basically the same design. And it was a model for the Manufaktur version, which it must've been a prototype because it sounded horrid, like V150 horrid.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi There,

I own both the M80 and HD25.  I love them both.  However if I really had to pick just one of them, I'd still go with the HD25.  I travel very frequently on trips that last 2 weeks or more and I've been rotating between the M80 and HD25.  This gives me a chance to evaluate both these cans under travel conditions and also forces me to live with just one of the cans over a slightly longer period of time with no temptation to switch.

While the M80's are built to take a beating, the simple and understated ruggedness of the HD 25's win out when you're fumbling with your carry-on going through customs and getting on and off transportation.  I also find the HD25's are little more rewarding to listen to.

However, all of the above also depends if you are planning on running an amp with your portable setup.  My source is an ipod touch or an iphone and I almost, always carry a portable amp with me.  If you are planning on playing your tunes directly out of an idevice, I think the M80 is a better choice.

Best,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back