V-Moda M100 or Hifiman HE-400 for HD650 (and more) owner?
Apr 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stefu

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a problem most would like to have: I was offered a gift of headphones of my choice. Budget is not strict but in area of M100 and HE-400. I don't have an option to listen to any of them.

Which one would you get if you already own headphones listed below?
Which one would contribute to this set the most sonically (and for which music genre) or functionally?
Any other suggestions in this price range? Any form factor.

Headphones I own (at least those worth mentioning):
Sennheiser HD650 
JH Audio Roxanne (ordered)
Grado SR80
Sennheiser IE8
Etymothic hf5
TDK IE800
Sennheiser pxc300
Sennheiser HD280Pro

I consider M100 as they seems to be an interesting alternative to IEMs for portable use and I like the design, mic is a plus. HE-400 on the other hand could give me an interesting alternative for home use as I usually use my HD650 at work. I also consider Shure SE535, but I'm not convinced they will contribute that much with Roxanne on the way.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 3
It's honestly up to what you feel that you need in your collection. I consider the HE-400 and HD 650 to be equal in sound quality, and they really aren't that different in sound signature. If you want convenience and portability the M100 would be better, but for sound quality the HE-400 wins... especially if you regrill them. I've never heard the M100, but apparently it's fairly bass heavy whereas the HE-400's bass is close to flat and slightly emphasised over the rest of the spectrum. It's all up to you, maybe you should get the HE-400 to experience a planar because the Roxanne's will likely take over your portable slot.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 3
Guess I'd tend to say HE-400 if you like EDM and feel content with your portable rig.

You could also do something you've likely not thought of.. Getting into vintage Stax territory for example. That is a journey :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back