V Moda M100 - is it true they lack musicality and excitment?
Feb 1, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 8
They are quite a fun listen!
I think people call it dull/boring due to the subdued treble (it's not the most forward treble)
It's a nice listen for sure though

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 8
How do they stand in terms of home listening? I've been reading they're best for mobile use- I listened to them at a Brookstone in a mall, and they did a remarkable job at cancelling out all the instore music and of course the people around. The noise I'm concerned about at home pales compared to that, but that does seem to be a consistent complaint.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Reading Reviews on the internet and unbiased impressions and people are saying they are bass heavy but dull sounding lacking energy and not musical etc.

I've got no clue what they are listening to then XD  They are definitely not dull sounding as they have plenty of energy.  They are bass heavy though. 
  They are quite a fun listen!
I think people call it dull/boring due to the subdued treble (it's not the most forward treble)
It's a nice listen for sure though

I didn't find the treble sub-dued, found them to be slightly v-shaped in signature actually.

How do they do with vocal tracks and rock music?

The M-100 does vocals pretty well actually due to the dynamics it gives the voice. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 8
So does anybody know how they stand up for home listening, or is that really a consideration for most people? Looking through that incredible "Battle of the Flagships" article, I didn't seen any discussion whatsoever of home vs. mobile listening dynamics.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Portable headphones usually have some bass emphasis since that is the first sound frequency that gets lost to outside noise. Since all of V-MODA's over-ear/on-ear headphones were built for portable use, i.e. closed-back, built-in mic and playback controls, the sound is much more bass-centric compared to what audiophiles prefer for at home use. For home listening, isolation isn't as important as soundstage and accurate presentation so audiophile-grade headphones are usually more balanced, although that's not always the case.

I've been using my M-100 at home and outside for the past year and see no problems using it as a home unit other than heat build-up and mild discomfort over longtime wear(I wear glasses).

And to answer the OP's question, "Are the M-100's dull?" Not In the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back