V moda m100 and Sennheiser Momentum (over ear model)
Jun 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CrazyHair

New Head-Fier
I recently received some m100's through the mail from amazon (might have to return them because it came with some paint chipped off near the hinges), they are honestly amazing!! But found them to be some what a little too bass heavy at times with some songs. I mostly use my m100's with an iPhone, iPad or computer. With all that said, going to the EQ setting on the iPad or iPhone and setting it to "Bass Reducer" I found that it helped immensely with the issue that I had with the bass, this may sound crazy but using these setting the m100's actually sound more similar to the audio technicas m50x but better!!! Now I have some Sennheiser Momentums (over ear model) on the way and wanted to know how the M100's (with the bass reducer setting applied) compare to the Sennheiser Momentums. I also wanted to know if the M100's become more of an audiophile headphone when you reduce the bass. Keep in mind that these questions might sound dumb and that's mostly because I'm new to the audiophile community lol.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 5
I can't really help with your question as I have neither. I'm actually looking in that price range myself with the V-moda M-100 and Momentums being high on my list, though I've got a list of others I still need to do more research on.

Was curious though, how are the vocals? I bought a pair of V-Moda LP that I'm about to return because the mids are so recessed the bass overcomes everything and just makes it muddy. I like the V-Moda M-100 for the detachable cable, folding up and bass though I'd rather not kill any vocals or background sounds while listening. It hits my DnB, EDM, Dubstep genre but all of the music also has vocals up front that drive the song. Anything particular you can say about the V-Moda M-100 in that regard? Also the V-Moda M-100 vs Sennheiser Momentum as far as research I've done, I've seen it thrown either way multiple times.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Well I haven't had the V-Moda's for very long but I will try my best. The M-100's shine pretty much in any type of music where the bass is in your face like rap, hip hop, dubstep, house etc... Now the M-100's don't do bad with music that is more vocal and more instrumental BUT in some songs the bass can get in the way and make things muddy and not very clear. I haven't tried the M-80's but supposedly they are heavier in the bass then the M-100's, also the new V-Moda xs supposedly have less bass then both the M-80 and the M-100. Like I said before, where the M-100 didn't shine I was able to fix it by going into the iPhone or iPad and setting the EQ to "Bass Reducer" which made everything so much more clear and crisp.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply. I've heard both the same and opposite, the M-80 has less/more bass and such. I'm not big on "on ear" though as my ears are kinda large so it's painful. I suppose like you said with EQ we can fix issues and such, most of what I listen to is bass heavy but always pairs with vocals so I'm trying not to lose either. Plus I need closed back to drown out backgrounds, prefer a detachable cable, will use for gaming and bought a boompro mic as my desk won't accommodate a Yeti or anything of the nature at the moment. Just don't want to blow a ton and go three the returning process spending money on shipping or what not over time. Either way I'll continue to check here and see what people give you on the Momentums as well. Still, I've got that itch to blow my money immediately ugh.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the reply. I've heard both the same and opposite, the M-80 has less/more bass and such. I'm not big on "on ear" though as my ears are kinda large so it's painful. I suppose like you said with EQ we can fix issues and such, most of what I listen to is bass heavy but always pairs with vocals so I'm trying not to lose either. Plus I need closed back to drown out backgrounds, prefer a detachable cable, will use for gaming and bought a boompro mic as my desk won't accommodate a Yeti or anything of the nature at the moment. Just don't want to blow a ton and go three the returning process spending money on shipping or what not over time. Either way I'll continue to check here and see what people give you on the Momentums as well. Still, I've got that itch to blow my money immediately ugh.

The ear cups on the Momentums (over ear version) are supposedly small so I'm not sure if they would fit you good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back