V-Moda M-80's or M-100's? Which would be better for my tastes?
Dec 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AdamskaPrice

New Head-Fier
Regardless of the hype of the M-80's a few years ago, I never bought it or ever actually tested them. A few years later, the M-100's come out of nowhere. Potentially interested, I researched about it and read Tyll's review and a bunch of others about the set. Most of the reviewers gave it high praise, saying it was one of the best headphone releases this year for general consumers, and some said that it was unbalanced and definitely not audiophile-grade, but still fun to listen to. I am not in the market to look for critical and accurate headphones but rather a set that you can bring anywhere hassle-free so it seems that the M-100 seems like the set for me. That means no amps.

(Well the Fiio E17 is an exception, but I'll only buy another one if it really is required to get the best out of my headphones. My first one broke on me by the way, so I'm kind of hesitant to buy a new one). 

All seemed well for the M-100's, and I was almost inclined to buy it, but after seeing the price, I hesitated. $300 seems a bit too much considering that it's younger brother is actually more balanced than it's older brother; but my UM3X can handle the music genres that the M-100 doesn't excel in; like Jazz and Classical. I listen to a lot of Jazz. So I thought that while my UM3X handles the instrumental music, the M-100's would take care of more upbeat music like Electronica, J-Indie, and Rock. The price however is still too high for me right now. The M-80's are half the price of the M-100's which still makes me indecisive. I wouldn't buy the M-100's if all it does is make the "Boom Boom" stronger. Doubling the price just for that doesn't justify the buy IMO. However, there are other factors that may justify the $300 price tag.

For instance, the M-100's are a lot more comfortable than the M-80's, and since I'll be hopping from place to place frequently, comfort is a very important factor. I wouldn't want my ears to fatigue while I'm walking through crowds of people in the train station. I believe they isolate better because it's covers your ears unlike the M-80. Also, the M-100's are fold-able and the case is substantially smaller than the case of the M-80's, which surprised me a bit. I actually prefer the look of the Matte Black look of the M-100's over the black-red color scheme of the M-80's. 

One last thing I would like to clarify; does the M-100 require amping? Also, does the M-80 benefit from amping too? (Considering that I'll be using a Fiio E17)

So, do you think the M-100's are better than the M-80's for me? 

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 4
The M100s are better in almost every way.  You summed it all up in the third to last paragraph, comfort, isolation, small size folded, looks (subjective)...along with an overal more full sound all make the M100 superior.  Now, is it 150 dollars superior, I don't know...that's all on you and your budget and available disposable income.  No one can make that decision for you.  

I also think the M100s sound better.  It's probably more of a "fit" thing as I prefer over the ear instead of on ear, but everything seems bigger and more robust to me.  The bass is slightly more pronounced, but it's also more controlled and accurate, all while going deeper as well.  The only area to me where the M80s shine is the mids...they aren't quite as recessed, which of course is the reason they are a bit better for jazz and rock music.

Clearly, you want the M100s but you're balking at the price.  My suggestion is to wait until you have the funds and just buy them.  Any time I went "cheaper" I have always been disappointed I didn't just go with the one I really wanted.  You don't want to be three months down the road and wondering why you didn't just take the plunge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back