V-MODA M-80 Review
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

danquoc

Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is going to be a very short review on the M-80. My first headphones were the Beats Solo (embarrassing) and decided to upgrade. My brother owns a pair of M50's and my god they were heaven on the ears. I appreciated its sound quality but the earcups were too much on my ears. I did some scouting for a few weeks, and considering I like bass, people suggested the M80's. I received my M80's a few hours ago (bare with me considering they didn't break in) and I'm quite embarrassed that I spent my hard earned cash on this thing. Right off the bat I took my Solo's and compared it to the M-80's and found a slight difference, with the M80's being superior. The first thing I noticed was that the headphones sounded too "fake", if I could put it that way. The bass (which I like btw) overshadowed everything else. Vocals and drums felt sort of recessed and muffled. Now what was really annoying was the cable itself. If it was to be moved there was cable noise, which was damn frustrating. Its only redeeming quality was its comfort and style. They clamped at first, but after stretching they weren't bad. The earcups themselves weren't that soft, the beats was more comfortable. Kind of a ****ty review, but hey, it's something people can consider (i hope you do) when they look into buying these headphones. Luckily for me I ordered them from Amazon so I'm getting a full refund. Stay away.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 24
Well if you didn't burn them in why did you return them so soon? I have a pair of LP's and I can assure you that overpowering bass subsides after a good lengthy break in. Getting an amp also helped me bring out the mids and highs on these cans.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 24
BREAK THEM IN BEFORE YOU RETURN THEM! Leave them overnight with pink noise for a few days and THEN make a decision. Also an amp will help.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
BREAK THEM IN BEFORE YOU RETURN THEM! Leave them overnight with pink noise for a few days and THEN make a decision. Also an amp will help.

I love my V-Moda M80's but I have not noticed any appreciable change from break in (and I have many 100's of hours on them now).  Also, these were meant to be driven from a portable and most reports are that an amp doesn't really change things much if at all. My own experience is that there is no difference in sound quality when plugged into my Marantz AVR (admittedly not high end) versus my Iphone or Ipad.  Maybe the OP just does not like the M80 sound signature.

(BTW, I disagree strongly about OP's characterization that bass overwhelms everyything and drums, etc. being muffled, but we each listen to different music and hear things differently.)

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
I love my V-Moda M80's but I have not noticed any appreciable change from break in (and I have many 100's of hours on them now).  Also, these were meant to be driven from a portable and most reports are that an amp doesn't really change things much if at all. My own experience is that there is no difference in sound quality when plugged into my Marantz AVR (admittedly not high end) versus my Iphone or Ipad.  Maybe the OP just does not like the M80 sound signature.

(BTW, I disagree strongly about OP's characterization that bass overwhelms everyything and drums, etc. being muffled, but we each listen to different music and hear things differently.)

Thing is. M80's aren't known to have overwhelming bass. The M80's are not bass cans. OP shouldnt have gotten the M80's to be honest. Should've gotten the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's if he is fine with IEM's or the M50's as he said he loved them. And then done a mod to them to put new pads on them. Simple as that.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
Thing is. M80's aren't known to have overwhelming bass. The M80's are not bass cans. OP shouldnt have gotten the M80's to be honest. Should've gotten the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's if he is fine with IEM's or the M50's as he said he loved them. And then done a mod to them to put new pads on them. Simple as that.

I haven't really tried in ears, but from my experience with earphones in general I have never put on a pair that had stuck to my ears.

Quote:

Quote:
Well if you didn't burn them in why did you return them so soon? I have a pair of LP's and I can assure you that overpowering bass subsides after a good lengthy break in. Getting an amp also helped me bring out the mids and highs on these cans.

I've read that amps don't really do much for the M80's, plus, I'm not really one to want to carry much things on me so an amp would be something I wouldn't consider. I'm not doubting the fact that it would sound better, but I'm doubting the fact that it would live up to what I want. I've been looking at headphones for about a month now and decided on the M80's (thankfully I was reimbursed fully). I got it because people said the difference between the M80's and the Solo's were night and day. Personally, as **** as the beats are, I didn't totally mind it (mainly because of the bass), and because I read that they are drastically different (and better) than the solo's, I went for it. I'm disappointed that they're not far apart, but again, it's my opinion.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 24
I have to say that I personally was a bit disappointed with the M-80's in that I read several reviews from a lot of the popular reviewers on youtube as well as here at head-fi.  My main point of frustration was that several of the reviewers did not really get into the details on the M-80's sound quality but rather focused more on the cans aesthetics and their "endorse yourself" marketing angle where you can pay extra for custom outer shields.   IMO the M-80 is a bit too heavy on the bass and like the Dre Beats has a pre-manufactured lower end.   Defiantly not a bad pair of headphones, I just felt I was buying something a bit more neutral but the fault is on my end because I did not spend enough time researching the M-80.   On a positive note, the M-80's build quality is fantastic and they appear to be very durable headphones.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
I have to say that I personally was a bit disappointed with the M-80's in that I read several reviews from a lot of the popular reviewers on youtube as well as here at head-fi.  My main point of frustration was that several of the reviewers did not really get into the details on the M-80's sound quality but rather focused more on the cans aesthetics and their "endorse yourself" marketing angle where you can pay extra for custom outer shields.   IMO the M-80 is a bit too heavy on the bass and like the Dre Beats has a pre-manufactured lower end.   Defiantly not a bad pair of headphones, I just felt I was buying something a bit more neutral but the fault is on my end because I did not spend enough time researching the M-80.   On a positive note, the M-80's build quality is fantastic and they appear to be very durable headphones.

Wow, that's the worst critique I've heard about the M80's thus far. 
The Beats by Dre are completely muddy while these are crisp. Yes, they aren't bass light, but it's not Dre heavy.
Haha, take it back. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 24
As people on the M-100 thread might attest (and possibly complain), I'm not an advocate of the M-80s. But I draw the cartoon horizon (with extra skyscrapers) at the intimation they sound like anemic Beats. They sound bloody better than anemic (bleed, dribble), and the Beats Pros I once had the misfortune to hear were not even good prose.  I appreciate that that's what you hear, but it seems an unfair comparison.

Yes, they're a tad rolled off in the highs, which I happen to dislike. I'd rather EQ for transit -- and turn off all processing when I reach my destination -- than make do with fewer highs when I'm in the position to enjoy them. But the M-80s are decent-sounding and are clearly the best thing V-Moda has done so far.

And I disagree with the idea they sound as scrod as they're capable of scrodding out of an iPod. Listening via a good DAC/amp out of an android or PC/Mac source is a markedly better experience than straight out of an iPod -- at liced in my experience (bring on the lice!). I'm Citroën the same is true with an iPad and an AlgoRhythm Solo or Vamp.

(You'll have to excuse me -- playing with substitutions makes responding a tad less unex[c]iting.)

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
Wow, that's the worst critique I've heard about the M80's thus far. 
The Beats by Dre are completely muddy while these are crisp. Yes, they aren't bass light, but it's not Dre heavy.
Haha, take it back. 

I agree that they are in no way as bass heavy as the Dre's, the Beats are in a completely different league.  The Beats bass is ridiculous if you ask me...  The bass on the M-80's was just surprisingly heavier than what I had expected. 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
I agree that they are in no way as bass heavy as the Dre's, the Beats are in a completely different league.  The Beats bass is ridiculous if you ask me...  The bass on the M-80's was just surprisingly heavier than what I had expected. 
smile_phones.gif

I don't know if the mass of the bass really is the complaint I was hearing. It's really just that the bass of the M80's is tight and quick where as the Beatses bass is slow, bleedy and horrible. :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 24
So I don't even know where to begin. Beats solos and V-MODA M-80 are night and day. OP I think you should have given the M-80s more time for your ears to adjust to the sound and listen for the details. Also the ear pads over time mold onto your ears which will make a big difference in SQ. My guess is that you're a big fan of treble since you love the M50s. They have a huge emphasis on treble. The M-80s are actually more balanced across the spectrum while having the same amount of bass, but better textured than the M50s. It's possible you're just not a fan of the sound sig. And the claim about bass drowning out mids and highs are just false to my ears. The highs are polite but vocals are balanced with bass and highs.

Comparing these to Solos and leaning towards the Solos is just ludacris. The solos = highway robbery - in that you can get $30 headphones that sound BETTER than the solos with better build quality. The M-80s, SQ and BQ wise, are worlds apart. I think the more experience you get with different cans, the better you'll be able to judge SQ. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 24
I tried a pair of M-80's at a shop before (they were display units so probably broken in by then?) and I have to say that I agree with what some of the other people were saying about the bass. That is, the bass is quite overpowered and muffles the treble and mids. Before I tried them, I was actually quite excited because I had read all those rave reviews here on head-fi about how their very neutral sounding with a slight bass hump. That slight bass hump turned out to be a little (understatement) too much for me and I have to say I was quite disappointed after hearing them. I suppose it's just not the sound signature for me, since a lot of people here love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back