V-Moda M-200
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 42
I'm after some headphones for electronic music.

YFMCANE.jpg

20191129150753_V-Moda-Roland-M-200-PackagingWeb.jpg

c8ScVG3.jpg

I have been told that even though these headphones are meant to be used in the studio, they can be used "for fun", and equalized pretty well to fit your needs in the bass department, for instance.

What's the sound signature of the M-200?
Is the bass tight?
What are some other competitors for electronic music in this price range?

my budget: $350-$600

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 42
I have had these for about a month. The sound signature is what I would a neutral studio headphone, but they do have tight bass that can be EQ,d to your liking. I am currently using them with a little tube amp from Little Bear and getting nice tight bass.

May 30, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 42
I have had these for about a month. The sound signature is what I would a neutral studio headphone, but they do have tight bass that can be EQ,d to your liking. I am currently using them with a little tube amp from Little Bear and getting nice tight bass.
Sorry but what does that even mean? "Neutral Studio Headphone" doesn't mean anything as sound signatures vary dramatically between all headphones so there really isn't a standard of neutral. What headphones have you previously owned?

What can you tell us about the headphone?

Resolution?
micro, macro dynamics? sound signature? is it dark, v shaped, mid centric? bright? how does bass transition into the mids, then the treble? What source gear, amps have you tried it with, that sort of thing.

The M200 looks a weird product from where I'm sitting because what was the point in bringing out the M100 Master headphones? I have a pair of Crossfade 2 Wireless, fun headphone, not really for serious use but it gets the job done as a wireless bass canon. I can't see the M200 being drastically different apart from less mid bass, mids bought in line something you do do the the M100, M100 Master, Crossfade 2 Wireless using EQ.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #20 of 42
By neutral, do you mean they balance out the FR, taking away the bass hump the M-100 is famous for? If so, that's truly going against the traditional V-MODA philosophy. Why call it the M-200, then? They should have just placed it in a different line; say, the Studio-100 (or S-100).

May 30, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #21 of 42
Yes, it does seem the bass hump is gone and this is more of a mastering or studio headphone.
Current headphones I own would be a long list, but I own everything from Skullcandy, Beats, Bose, B&W, Sony, Focals, Sean's, other VMODA, etc. and these don't seem as bass-y as my Crossfades.

May 30, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 42
Yes, it does seem the bass hump is gone and this is more of a mastering or studio headphone.
Current headphones I own would be a long list, but I own everything from Skullcandy, Beats, Bose, B&W, Sony, Focals, Sean's, other VMODA, etc. and these don't seem as bass-y as my Crossfades.
I won't be surprised. Since the introduction of the Crossfade LP, the V-MODA cans have gotten less and less heavy on the bass with each successive model.

May 30, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #23 of 42
I will do some listening tonight and compare against my Crossfades, HD25i-II, AKG K361, and some others. I haven't listened to them in about a week. BTW I listen with either my iPad through a Little Bear amp or my PC through a Mayflower Objective 2. I stream through Tidal.

May 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #24 of 42
I will do some listening tonight and compare against my Crossfades, HD25i-II, AKG K361, and some others. I haven't listened to them in about a week. BTW I listen with either my iPad through a Little Bear amp or my PC through a Mayflower Objective 2. I stream through Tidal.
Thank you, that would be helpful. I was actually looking at the M-200, but if the renowned bass hump is removed, I might move on to other headphones.

Out of curiosity, what other V-MODA headphones do you own?

May 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #25 of 42
The original Crossfade LP, The wireless Crossfades, LP2, M-200, and some in ear wireless that I forget the name of. For whatever reason I skipped the M-100. Probably was on a kick for some other company and gave them all of my money....

May 30, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #27 of 42
The original Crossfade LP, The wireless Crossfades, LP2, M-200, and some in ear wireless that I forget the name of. For whatever reason I skipped the M-100. Probably was on a kick for some other company and gave them all of my money....
I see. That's good - I have the LP, LP2, M-80, and the M-100, and I used to own the Crossfade Wireless II (Rose Gold Edition); I'm very familiar with V-MODA's house sound. Your comparison of the M-200 vis-à-vis the rest of the V-MODA headphones in your stable would be very helpful. Thanks!

May 30, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #28 of 42
I can tell you my first reaction when hearing these was ”these are VM’s?”. They are more what I would expect to see in a recording studio and less of what I would see a DJ using. A good or even a very good sound, but not the bass-y DJ sound I was expecting.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #29 of 42
I can tell you my first reaction when hearing these was ”these are VM’s?”. They are more what I would expect to see in a recording studio and less of what I would see a DJ using. A good or even a very good sound, but not the bass-y DJ sound I was expecting.

This might be actually good for me, provided they can be fine tuned to meet my bass requirements. How do they compare to your original Crossfade LP and LP2?

How are the bass and sub-bass after you EQ them properly?

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 42
This might be actually good for me, provided they can be fine tuned to meet my bass requirements. How do they compare to your original Crossfade LP and LP2?

How are the bass and sub-bass after you EQ them properly?
Yes, that's what I'm hoping @chavan123168 will be able to answer. (Thanks!) From early impressions, it does appear to stray away from the famous V-MODA house sound, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back