V-Moda M-100s or ATH-M50s?
Aug 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AllahLover69

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been doing some research and narrowed my next purchase down to either the V-Moda M-100s or the ATH-M50s. I listen to mainly: Alternative, Rock/Alternative Rock, Hip-Hop/Rap, and Various EDM genres. My current budget is $180, so right now I could buy the ATH-M50s, but I'm considering waiting a few months to buy the V-Moda M-100s. Is this a good idea? I've heard that the V-Modas are better, but are they better enough to wait a few months and spend more money? All responses are appreciated.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 6
The M100 will be much more comfortable, especially with XL pads. It does rock very well and doesn't drown all the other sounds out with bass like the M50 will. They feel much more sturdy and premium. If I could have one headband that I had to use on all my headphones, it would be the M100's. It rounds the top of your head perfectly so that all the clamping force is dispersed across the whole headphone and not just on the pads.

M100.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm not sure if the above poster has actually heard the M50, going by his comments on bass. The M50 has less bass than the M-100, and is only a small amount (around 4dB @ 100 Hz) above neutral. The M-100 has uneven treble and bloated bass in comparison, some people call this 'fun' but YMMV. If you are buying these for the purpose of listening to music, I would not pay double for reduced sound quality.

The M-100 feels nicer but the M50 is equally as durable in practice. The styling of the M-100 may not suit you if you are over the age of 18, but this isn't important if you're using it at home.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm not sure if the above poster has actually heard the M50, going by his comments on bass. The M50 has less bass than the M-100, and is only a small amount (around 4dB @ 100 Hz) above neutral. The M-100 has uneven treble and bloated bass in comparison, some people call this 'fun' but YMMV. If you are buying these for the purpose of listening to music, I would not pay double for reduced sound quality.

The M-100 feels nicer but the M50 is equally as durable in practice. The styling of the M-100 may not suit you if you are over the age of 18, but this isn't important if you're using it at home.

I've owned mulitple pairs of M50s but I find the sub bass is way distracting in comparison to the M100. That is what I meant. I didn't feel the M100 had more bass than the M50 at all though. The mid-range in both are recessed but I felt I could hear more mids in the M100. 

Also, I heard the M100 with the XL pads on, and not with the stock set. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back