V Moda m-100, Beyerdynamic Dt 770, ATH m50x, ATH WS 1100is, Custom One Por Plus or Studio
Nov 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JoshG1217

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I have been on a quest for a few months now to get a great set (or sets) or headphones and am having a hard time. Lots of purchases and returns.

1. Bought the Sony MDRZX770BT.
They were a huge improvement, but I wanted something better
2. I bought the Symphonized Wraith, which looked amazing, but just sounded okay and apparently are rebranded from ebliss. LSTN does the same thing with their Troubadours. Returned those.
3. Bought the ATH m40x. Best sound so far, but they hurt my head. Returned them
4. Bought the Sony MDR xb950bt.
I thought they sounded okay, until...
5. I bought the Sennheiser Urbanite XL. So I returned the 950's, and felt pretty good about the Sennheiser's, but they hurt my ears, and were not great for the gym. I ultimately returned them.

I then ended up selling some stuff and bought
6. V Moda m-100. I also bought the XL pads. Good bass emphasis, but the sound is off to me. The sound is really forward, the bass is not as tight as it could be, and overall, it lack clarity. I compared these to the Urbanite XL's. They made the Xl's sound recessed and subtle in comparison, but I was not satisfied with them

7. So i did more research and ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 770's. I got the 80 ohm version, which works well on my PC and my LG  V10. These are my favorite so far, but the cord is 9 feet long, so portability is out.

So what is my best bet? I just googled and apparently there is a 770i, but it is 16 ohm.

Bottom line, what is my best bet for a headphone that is under $200 is good for the office and the gym, and has great detail?

I am considering Swapping these 770's for the 770i, or maybe keeping them and swapping the M 100 for the COP+, or both for the COP Studio, or the WS1100is.

Any input is appreciated.

If it matters, I listen primarily to hardcore, metal, metalcore, with some acoustic stuff, and occassional electronic crossover stuff, like Breathe Carolina.

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 6
Also been considering the L2, though I'm concerned they may not isolate sound enough

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Take a look at Ultrasone HFI-580, only $119. Great sound stage, good fast bass, highs are a little out of control out of the box but after a short burn in, they settle in nicely. Light weight, pretty sturdy, and foldable, making them a good choice for portability. I recommend putting Brainwavz HM5 replacement pads on them ($24.50), makes them so comfortable its like wearing pillows on your head. I've included the links and a couple pics of my 580's with the HM5 pads on.

The Ultrasone HFI-580: https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8

The Brainwavz Pads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLKV5LI

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the recommendation! I did some quick scans, and I found a couple comparisons to the DT 770's, which I appreciate. I did end up picking up the 770 i. It's 16ohm, and has the 4 ft cable for mobility. It is okay comfort-wise, but he velour pads on the 80ohm, were much more comfortable. They also look a little goofy, and I would have preferred the detachable cord, but overall I am fairly satisfied with them. The sound is just fantastic. I picked them up at guitar center. While I was there, I tested a pair of m50x. Over rated, in my opinion. These sound much better out of the box.

But I am still curious about the Fidelio L2, the MSR7, the Custom One Pro Plus, and now these. Ultimately, I do want to start a but of a collection, but one at a time.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I did order the L2. I picked up a used pair for $98 that includes a hard case. For those interested, Newegg has them on sale new for $99, but I had already bid on these. CUrious to compare them to the 770's, which I really like, though even the shorter cable is not super mobile friendly.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Apparently, my post in uninteresting. I did A/B with the 770 and the L2. The L2 have better clarity, a bit more treble. With a neutral signal, the 770 has more bass and sounds slightly fuller to me, but through my v10 with poweramp EQ'd, the L2 responds well to a bump in the bass. The L2 worked fine in the office, but were really lacking in isolation at the gym. Disappointed in that.

Looks wise, the M-100 is still my favorite, but I thought the sound lacked definition, which surprised me because they are reviewed so highly. Maybe I had a bad pair? Regardless, both of these sound superior. However, I need portability. The Custom one Pro are suppossed to be superior to the V Moda with the bass. I am going to give them a shot, and return the 770's. The L2 will be my office pair, and the Port Pro's my gym pair. Now, I need a home pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back