V-Moda M-100, Audio Technica M50X, or should I just calm down?
Jul 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

riffrafi

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been looking to get another pair of headphones, and have been tossing up between the super well reviewed AT M50x's and V-Moda M-100s.

I own AKG 553s, Philips SHP9500, and Audio Technica ATH-ES7.

Currently nothing I own really delivers much bass, so I learnt towards V-Moda.

My ATH-ES7s are very old and don't sound as amazing as they did when I first bought them as my first proper set of headphones. They're also my portable headphones so I thought I'd replace them with the M50xs because neither the Philips nor the AKG are particularly portable.

But the other option is: do I really need either? Am I being a bit of an addict on a high of getting more headphones and hearing different sounds through them that I want more now? Is it obsessive to try and get more headphones for the sake of it?

Thanks for your help!

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 12
I voted M100, but there are other options that I prefer more. Sony's portable headphones are awesome(perhaps the most comfy).

And you're on head-fi...everyone is obsessed. I had 10+ headphones at one point. Though now, I just settled on few summit-fi gears. I say save up and upgrade, at least to the $300-500 range. That's what I would do.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 12
I spent a long time playing around in the $200 realm. It's fun, and there's a huge amount of variety, but you will always lust for more.

*If* you start climbing
- portable: Oppo PM-3
- bassy portable: one of those new Sonys... I can't keep track of their names anymore
- home: Philips Fidelio X1
- home and invest in an amp: Sennheiser HD600/650, or Beyerdynamic DT880 if you want more bass and treble

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 12
Sony MDR 1A any day of the week over M-100..........M50x not even in the conversation

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 12
Wow, I always thought the M50X was a really popular one...had no idea it wasn't really that up for discussion haha.

I definitely want to upgrade to high end some day. Right now though I don't want something too expensive for portable in case I break it. (I know the V-Moda is quite expensive for a portable headphone but its not $500 beast!)

Thanks for all the help so far everyone

EDIT: I could always go for the Sony Pulse Elite gaming headset :p

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 12
Sony MDR 1A should be cheaper than M-100

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 12
Wow, I always thought the M50X was a really popular one...had no idea it wasn't really that up for discussion haha.

Well, if your budget allows $250 to $300, there are certainly better choices to consider.

That being said, M50X is $127 shipped on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/audio-technica-ath-m50x-headphones (you must register to see the deal). That's an excellent price/performance value.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 12

I definitely want to upgrade to high end some day. Right now though I don't want something too expensive for portable in case I break it. (I know the V-Moda is quite expensive for a portable headphone but its not $500 beast!)

Thanks for all the help so far everyone

EDIT: I could always go for the Sony Pulse Elite gaming headset :p

They are popular. For $150, they're pretty damn good. I don't recommend gaming headsets for audiophile use really.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 12
          I was in the same boat about a year ago. I spent about a month owning both, but only kept one...Audio Tech's for me! There is just such a difference between the two, and each have a lot of awesome things about them and it really comes down to what you're looking for more specifically. I have a friend that went through the same experience as well and came out on the other side as me too! Haha. Let me tell you first though, I am far from an Audiophile. So please do with this what you will. I feel like I have an appreciation for good sound now though. For me, keeping the M50X's was all about one thing, the clarity that was still fun. I can't quite refer to things like mid-centric, or the trebles rolling off, or to what frequency the bass hits, but I can tell you in laymen terms that they were incredibly clear, yet fun for the price. I also have the Sennheiser 598's for this reason. Anyhow the M50X's are in my opinion, a very good value. I got the new special edition blue and brown ones, which I feel to be really really good looking headphone, and I have gotten many compliments on them. Not that that is a big deal to me, but they do look that good! lol They feel very solid. I feel like you could drop these things and really not be overly concerned about it. The plastic feels really solid and the pads and headband are nice and soft. The ear pads are really quite comfortable for me as I have worn them for several hours without any discomfort whatsoever. When you first grab them and move them around you will be assured that these have been built well. I really enjoy the 3 foot coiled cable that comes with them the most and it comes as well with a 3ft straight and the 9ft straight. Now like I said, the sound of these are really true. I feel like there is never a time where I feel like the highs are sharp or the lows muddying up the middle. They just sound super clear with just the right amount of what is needed to truly enjoy what you are listening to. The soundstage is probably the one area that I feel like they might lack a little, but I feel like I am just looking for something to pick at. They are good but not great for gaming as well. 

Now for those V-Moda's....Everything in me wanted to keep these headphones!!! But when I would put the Audio Tech's on to compare, I just couldn't justify it. ( I was on a budget as well) Once you get hour hands on the M100's you'll really be impressed by just how amazing their build quality really is! I mean I was absolutely stunned at how cool yet insanely sturdy these headphones were. The one downside is that the ear pads were not really comfortable. That's not to say they hurt, but the clamp was a little tight for my taste and the pads themselves were just a little narrow and not very plush. I bought the XL pads as I kept reading that that was a needed upgrade. If I didn't have those, I don't think I really could have worn them at all. Just an FYI, but that is all relevant to you and your anatomy. lol . Now don't get me wrong. The V-Moda's are no slouch by any means, and you may very well prefer them, but to me they just didn't sound as good as the M50's. The M100's bass is a lot of fun!!! But just like most fun, it comes at a price. I felt like the bass was just taking away from so much else in the music. I couldn't hear the mids very well and female voices were hard to hear as well. They sound more "fun" than the M50's I would say, and you can use them without an amp and they still sound fun! The M100's actually sounded pretty good for gaming I thought, and the fact that you can just get the boom mic with them is super cool! And that thing works really well by the way! Like I said, everything in me wanted the Audio Tech's sound to be coming out of those M100's just because they were so awesomely built. I mean just check out the stress test claims on those bad boys and the fact that they give you a lifetime warranty on those things! They are that good! But unfortunately like I have said, the M50's just sounded so much cleaner to me, and the fact that they were almost $150 cheaper as well really pushed me to get the M50's. Now like I said, my friend went through the same thing and decided on the V-Moda's. So to each their own! I think he really just liked the heavier bass and the amazing build quality! It was nice too, because it gave me a second chance to try the V-Moda's about months after I had mad my choice, and again, I desperately wanted to like the V-moda's, but again, I was assured that I made the right choice for me!

Sorry if this is a little chaotic, as this is my first ever reply to a topic as I feel like I am starting to be able to have an opinion on some things. lol. I hope this helps you a little bit! 

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 12
Hey LOTF, that was a super useful reply! Thanks so much. I definitely get your point and it sounds like the M50Xs are a great pair of headphones. I HAVE decided to go with the M100s only because I found a great deal and my AKG 553s already have that clear sound I'd need for video editing and stuff like that. None of my headphones so far give me that nice bass feel so I decided to go with that to feel it :) But you definitely sound like you know what you're talking about so thanks for your advice!!

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 12
You should add in consideration the ATH-WS77 or WS99 if it's still on sale near you. Try listen to them if you want a solid bass and good meds and highs. You may be surprised how well they sound. many people avoid them because of ''Solid Bass'' stamp on them, but they are not beats they are ATH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back