V-Moda LP2 vs M-100??
Sep 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

SMman

Head-Fier
Sorry to start a new thread but I still can't decide if the V-Moda M-100s are worth the extra $100 over the LP2s.  I've read lots of information on here and have gathered that the LP2s are definitely better than the original LPs.  I understand that portability is much better on the M-100s but this will not be an issue 99% of the time.  The headphones are for my 14 year old son who will be using them with his home computer most of the time. 

I tried to get him and my daughter to consider the Audio Technica 50x and 40x for computer use but so far, only the V-Moda design has won over my son compared to the ever popular Beats.  My kids just don't dig the styling of the Audio Technicas so I might just have to grab a pair of the 40x to try myself. 

Sorry to ramble.  I would appreciate any advice regarding the V-Moda LP2 vs M-100 decision.  Thank you.   

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 23
maybe the V-moda XS? The XS's tonal balance is much better

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 23
Over ear? Try the new sennheiser urbanite XL as well. I am planning to try and get a review unit when they arrive in Singapore (and maybe buy one if they are good) but you can refer to cnet's review (http://www.cnet.com/products/sennheiser-urbanite-xl/) for now.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 23
Those Urbanite XLs might be an option but I think he's set on V-moda right now.

Looks like Sennheiser is going for some Beats market share with the design.  I guess if you can't "beat" them, you might as well join them.
L3000.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 23
Well sennheiser has already beat them in terms of sound quality. The new beats solo 2, which was released just before the sennheiser urbanite, cannot match up to the sennheisers, and the beats was already considered good sounding. having demoed the beats solo 2, I can say it is quite good sounding but not the best.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 23
Agreed.  I really like the Momentums but my kids aren't a fan of the design. 

My son has decided to definitely stick with V-Moda so just have to decide between the M-100 and LP2. 

I'll show the Urbanites to my daughter.  She wants to replace her original Beats Solos with either the Solo2s or new Studios.  I'm trying my best to show her other options.  Audio Technica wasn't her style at all unfortunately. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 23
how old are your children? Age is quite a factor. Like my friends who come to my house and see my studio set up, then ask is it my parents, and when they realise its mine they get a shock. It just looks too professional for a 14 year old kid (me) to have set it up.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 23
He might like the design of the donscorpio dolphin (and you might like the price)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2865
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2657356

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donscorpio-Dolphin-Over-ear-Headset-Professional-HiFi-Music-Headphones-/291090098586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item896d5de162

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 23
Well, good that you are not considering the LP. Been there and would not go back. Some of the issues were solved in the LP2. But its a more v shaped consumer sound, vs vmodas take on an audiophile sound (m100). M100 if you can spend the money or get a deal. Good choice for that younger generation

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 23
  Agreed.  I really like the Momentums but my kids aren't a fan of the design. 

My son has decided to definitely stick with V-Moda so just have to decide between the M-100 and LP2. 

I'll show the Urbanites to my daughter.  She wants to replace her original Beats Solos with either the Solo2s or new Studios.  I'm trying my best to show her other options.  Audio Technica wasn't her style at all unfortunately. 

Based on Sennheiser's website the internals look the same. I'm debating between Momentums, Urbanite XLs, and M-100s. Tempted to go Urbanite XLs due to them folding up but I like the look of the Momentum's the most out of the 3.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 23
i really would encourage checking out the PSB M4U1. Those are more neutral than the momentums. The momentums are too laid back, have less detail and has a worse soundstage to me

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 23
PSBs look nice but unfortunately my son is not interested in researching any further.  He doesn't enjoy looking at all the brands like I do, nor does he have my patience to decide before buying.  I'm happy to have the money going toward V-Modas vs Beats.  Any recommendations on places to look for deals?  V-Moda aren't sold in Canada and the only place I've found them in Amazon.ca and eBay.  Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 23
I bought 2 pairs of LP2s online tonight; one for my son and one for my daughter.  I didn't think she'd ever switch from Beats but the custom shield options V-Moda offer pulled her to the dark side
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back