V-moda LP2 vs ATH M50
Apr 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wisher75

New Head-Fier
I've had my m-50s for a year now and absolutely love them, I use them easily 6-7 hours a day. My only complaint is that they are kind of lacking bass to me. I use my pioneer receiver as an amp and have it cranked almost always so simply turning them up isn't a solution. Then I saw V-moda came out with a revised version of their crossfade LPs. I didn't much care for the overall sound quality of the first ones. So, are the new crossfade LPs any better with overall sound quality? Also, do they have more bass than the m-50s? 

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
I've had my m-50s for a year now and absolutely love them, I use them easily 6-7 hours a day. My only complaint is that they are kind of lacking bass to me. I use my pioneer receiver as an amp and have it cranked almost always so simply turning them up isn't a solution. Then I saw V-moda came out with a revised version of their crossfade LPs. I didn't much care for the overall sound quality of the first ones. So, are the new crossfade LPs any better with overall sound quality? Also, do they have more bass than the m-50s? 

Yea LP2 are significantly bassier than M50 but I don't think they are good sounding headphones for the price though, probably only a little better than the original LPs (haven't heard those though). Any particular reason why it has to be V-Moda as an alternative, there's plenty of bassier than M50 options out there that could fit the bill better probably.

I'm selling my LP2 but if you're from US it's not worth it (expensive shipping costs => can get a new one for similar price). :p

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 22
I'm looking for a semi-budget friendly replacement for my m-50s. I've always heard that for low to mid end headphones v moda was the way to go for bass. I just don't want to sacrifice sound quality for bass. What are some other options that you think would be better?

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 22
More bass than M50 and better option than V-Modas IMO would be (no particular order):

M-Audio Q40 (excellent option for strong bass without sacrificing sound quality)
ATH-PRO700MK2
Ultrasone HFI-580 or DJ1 (non-pro version!)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Shure SRH750 DJ
ATH-WS55

^ they all cost less than the LP2s and perform at least as good or better, in some cases a lot better, comparing Q40 costing $120 I find at least twice as good sounding as the LP2s.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 22
Are the M80's inferior as well???

Quote:
More bass than M50 and better option than V-Modas IMO would be (no particular order):

M-Audio Q40 (excellent option for strong bass without sacrificing sound quality)
ATH-PRO700MK2
Ultrasone HFI-580 or DJ1 (non-pro version!)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Shure SRH750 DJ
ATH-WS55

^ they all cost less than the LP2s and perform at least as good or better, in some cases a lot better, comparing Q40 costing $120 I find at least twice as good sounding as the LP2s.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 22
The DT 770 is a great pair of headphones would blow m50s out of water only reason I havent bought them is I use my headphones for on the go most of the time and the dt770 may be a little big for that but for at home they are great here they are at guitar center for 154 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-80-Closed-Studio-Headphones-272025-i1485296.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB&= and b&h for 179 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=92801&Q=&O=productlist&A=details

To big for public in my opinion I have a fade so I would look like an alien

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 22
Let me ask you this then, what is the advantage of the 80ohm version versus the 250ohm version? I know one can be more easily driven than the other, however, I only use my headphones at my desk and have a home stereo receiver to power them. So would it make any difference? 

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 22

For the headphone to perform it's range of dynamics, it has to have enough power to get there. The resistance (impedance) tells you how much power you need to get to a point where the headphone will be properly driven to dynamics. Those are not low impedance headphones, they require amplifiers. They may make sound and you can listen without an amplifier, but not all frequencies will be present properly. They need amplifiers. The 80ohm one being the lesser impedance, so requiring less amplification making it easier to get something inexpensive and longer lasting for travel/portability. Those headphones listed need amplification at all times to be fully dynamic. 
 the Fiio E7 or Fiio E17 can be used both as a portable and as a desktop DAC/AMP.

From MalVeauX

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:

For the headphone to perform it's range of dynamics, it has to have enough power to get there. The resistance (impedance) tells you how much power you need to get to a point where the headphone will be properly driven to dynamics. Those are not low impedance headphones, they require amplifiers. They may make sound and you can listen without an amplifier, but not all frequencies will be present properly. They need amplifiers. The 80ohm one being the lesser impedance, so requiring less amplification making it easier to get something inexpensive and longer lasting for travel/portability. Those headphones listed need amplification at all times to be fully dynamic. 
 the Fiio E7 or Fiio E17 can be used both as a portable and as a desktop DAC/AMP.

From MalVeauX

Right, but wouldn't a receiver be more than enough to power the 250ohm version? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back