V-Moda LP2 Review
Jan 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #91 of 142
I'd like to say I'm in no way a audiophile or have any idea about sound apart from the fact i can tell the difference between good headphones and bad ones. This is the first set of decent headphones I've had. I listen to bass heavy music but i do have wider tastes.

I've been used to cheap IEM's for a while (Sennheisers Cx300) and so decided too take the plunge. I couldn't decide between the m80 or LP2 and chose the LP2.

I've used them since Christmas of and on and after some minor wear in. They are amazing. The comfort, styling and durability is second to none. This is something i was drawn into to all my IEM's breaking within 12 months of constant use. I haven't had any issue in the build department. Fo me the sound of the LP2's is great. There is a clear distinction between the lows and mids. I heard that the bass on the LP's was over the top which i didn't want but for me the LP2's have it just right, it's punchy and heavy but not overpowering. As i said I'm not really in the right position to evaluate the headphones sonically but if you want a good quality set of headphones which have an all round great sound then the LP2's are great.

Also they have become better with more listening.

One problem i have noticed is a significant amount of sound bleed when the volume is high.

I hope i have been of some help. Better than Beats and less cliched

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #92 of 142
This thread is quite confusing.
I have read through each post.

I've had people say that these have loads of bass, and others that said they don't. (specifically for a hip-hop/r&b/occasional dubstep/house head-fier)
Do they have sufficient bass or not? Overblown bass? Loads of bass, but not quite the hard-core basshead standard?

Then all of a sudden we have people returning the Lp2 for $35 dollar headphones that supposedly sound almost as good. One have said that there are mediocre mids or highs, and that they remind them of a boombox.
Are these of good value, or are they not? Do they redeem the mediocre lp1?

There seems to be alot of mixed thoughts about these. The only thing I can be absolutely sure of is that they are that they are big and comfy...

Just trying to clear things up...
confused_face.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #93 of 142

Quote:

I've had people say that these have loads of bass, and others that said they don't. (specifically for a hip-hop/r&b/occasional dubstep/house head-fier)
Do they have sufficient bass or not? Overblown bass? Loads of bass, but not quite the hard-core basshead standard?

Then all of a sudden we have people returning the Lp2 for $35 dollar headphones that supposedly sound almost as good. One have said that there are mediocre mids or highs, and that they remind them of a boombox.

There seems to be alot of mixed thoughts about these. The only thing I can be absolutely sure of is that they are that they are big and comfy...

confused_face.gif

I'm not an audiophile but I do know what quality sound is.

They have a decent amount of bass but it's in no way overpowering. They don't remind me of a boombox at all. And they're not anywhere near the hardcore basshead standard.

The LP2s are certainly warmer than the M-80s. The highs and the mids aren't as sharp as on a flat-response headphone. But for a headphone using a bass boost EQ, the quality and clarity is great. They are great quality headphones in all fields, from build quality to accessories to sound quality. If you listen to mainly electronic music, hip hop or other bassy genres, the LP2s are the headphones for you. If you're more of a classic, rock or jazz listener, go for the M-80s. If you listen to a bit of everything, you might as well go for the LP2s. Listening to dubstep, for example, with the M-80s will leave you craving for that little extra bass 'punch'.

The LP2s are also a lot more comfortable than the M-80s. Then again, I have a big head and dislike on-ear headphones overall.

And the LP2s make the XB700s by Sony sound like absolute crap. They put Beats By Dre and Bose to shame.

There are a lot of better quality headphones than the LP2s on the market for its price range or for less, but the LP2s are great on-the-go headphones. You won't look like a freak wearing them and you won't need an amp to get decent sound quality.

Overall, they are great headphones for the price you pay. If you're a budding audiophile or someone who wants some stylish headphones with great sound quality for the price, V-Modas are the perfect choice. Prefer some bass or listen to several different types of music, and prefer over ear design and comfort? LP2s are for you.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #94 of 142
The V-Moda LP2:

Initial Impression-
Comfort: 8.5/10
Design: 9.5/10
Sound: 6.5/10
Low- 6/10
Mid - 8/10
High- 7/10
Bass:6/10

Second Impression-(after 100+ hr burn in and about 70-80 hours listening)
Comfort: 9/10
Sound: 8.5/10
Low- 7.5/10
Mid - 8.5/10
High- 8.5/10
Bass:8.5/10

Overall:7.5/10
[size=15pt][size=15pt]These headphones overall do a couple of things well and a couple of things really well. The sound on the headphones is good and solid with the bass not being overwhelming to that is all you hear, and the treble is good enough, but not tinny at all levels. The bass is present but not the only thing in the cups you hear. If you get a dac/amp (something like a fiio device) these headphones might pump out the desired bass for some; I myself might have prefer a touch more bass (I listen to rap, pop, golden oldies, pop rock, and occasionally very occasionally jazz). The headphones do press against your head, but do not cause any exceptional or very noticeable wear and fatigue (just to get a size comparison I'm 6' ft 183 size 7 1/4 hat size ever slightly larger ears). The weight is average on your head and after some wear you cannot really notice the headphones being present too much. The sound will not blow you back, but the design is amazing and the case is by far the best I have seen for storage coming with a 1/8" to 1/4" jack, and two cables; the cables include one long cable and one shorter with a 3 button feature that doesn't really work, even though the website said it should (I have yet to contact v-moda to find out why). The cables come with a threaded type cover and are both a good length. The size of the cups are good, not being too bulky to wear outside or like you are phoning home. The adjustments on the side are good with the top of the headphones coming with enough cushions. These headphones are definites for durability- just look at the video....you will definitely be impressed- , but bass heads might need an fiio, and audiophiles will be pleased that the design accompanies great sound. Overall the things it does really well is the design, comfort, and having a good blend of sound, and the things it does well is the having a good mix of sound(lows,mids, and highs), and decent bass. The only gripe is the headphones do not have a lock and use a regular type headphone jack for connection. The added accessory of the case for the headphones is amazing, possibly one of the best included cases ever.[/size][/size]

[size=15pt][size=15pt]PS FYI these headphones block out a significant portion of outside noise but you can hear them if you are sitting near by and the headphones are above about 70% max volume, but its not extreme, just some buzzing; it does sound good though to those listeneres....[/size][/size]

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #95 of 142
Future impressions to follow....

PS I have only had these phones for about 2 days, but even though my review doesnt show it I am very impressed and havent had enough time with them-in total about 12-14 hours listening time... so i will adjust the review after a few days....

PPS I will be having AKG q701 271mk ii and 240 mkii delivered in about 12 hours so i will have a better comparison of different headphones to do a just comparison... i have listened the the "great" beats studio and solo headphones and was not impressed except for the over hype that surrrounds them and the bass that is inside....and nothing else.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #96 of 142

Quote:
I'm not an audiophile but I do know what quality sound is.

They have a decent amount of bass but it's in no way overpowering. They don't remind me of a boombox at all. And they're not anywhere near the hardcore basshead standard.

The LP2s are certainly warmer than the M-80s. The highs and the mids aren't as sharp as on a flat-response headphone. But for a headphone using a bass boost EQ, the quality and clarity is great. They are great quality headphones in all fields, from build quality to accessories to sound quality. If you listen to mainly electronic music, hip hop or other bassy genres, the LP2s are the headphones for you. If you're more of a classic, rock or jazz listener, go for the M-80s. If you listen to a bit of everything, you might as well go for the LP2s. Listening to dubstep, for example, with the M-80s will leave you craving for that little extra bass 'punch'.

The LP2s are also a lot more comfortable than the M-80s. Then again, I have a big head and dislike on-ear headphones overall.

And the LP2s make the XB700s by Sony sound like absolute crap. They put Beats By Dre and Bose to shame.

There are a lot of better quality headphones than the LP2s on the market for its price range or for less, but the LP2s are great on-the-go headphones. You won't look like a freak wearing them and you won't need an amp to get decent sound quality.

Overall, they are great headphones for the price you pay. If you're a budding audiophile or someone who wants some stylish headphones with great sound quality for the price, V-Modas are the perfect choice. Prefer some bass or listen to several different types of music, and prefer over ear design and comfort? LP2s are for you.

Quote:
The V-Moda LP2:

Comfort: 8.5/10
Sound: 6.5/10
Low- 6/10
Mid - 8/10
High- 7/10
Bass:6/10

Overall:7.5/10
[size=15pt][size=15pt]These headphones overall do a couple of things well and a couple of things really well. The sound on the headphones is good and solid with the bass not being overwhelming to that is all you hear, and the treble is good enough, but not tinny at all levels. The bass is present but not the only thing in the cups you hear. If you get a dac/amp (something like a fiio device) these headphones might pump out the desired bass for some; I myself might have prefer a touch more bass (I listen to rap, pop, golden oldies, pop rock, and occasionally very occasionally jazz). The headphones do press against your head, but do not cause any exceptional or very noticeable wear and fatigue (just to get a size comparison I'm 6' ft 183 size 7 1/4 hat size ever slightly larger ears). The weight is average on your head and after some wear you cannot really notice the headphones being present too much. The sound will not blow you back, but the design is amazing and the case is by far the best I have seen for storage coming with a 1/8" to 1/4" jack, and two cables; the cables include one long cable and one shorter with a 3 button feature that doesn't really work, even though the website said it should (I have yet to contact v-moda to find out why). The cables come with a threaded type cover and are both a good length. The size of the cups are good, not being too bulky to wear outside or like you are phoning home. The adjustments on the side are good with the top of the headphones coming with enough cushions. These headphones are definites for durability- just look at the video....you will definitely be impressed- , but bass heads might need an fiio, and audiophiles will be pleased that the design accompanies great sound. Overall the things it does really well is the design, comfort, and having a good blend of sound, and the things it does well is the having a good mix of sound(lows,mids, and highs), and decent bass. The only gripe is the headphones do not have a lock and use a regular type headphone jack for connection. The added accessory of the case for the headphones is amazing, possibly one of the best included cases ever.[/size][/size]

[size=15pt][size=15pt]PS FYI these headphones block out a significant portion of outside noise but you can hear them if you are sitting near by and the headphones are above about 70% max volume, but its not extreme, just some buzzing; it does sound good though to those listeneres....[/size][/size]

So then what are cans in the same price range that have more bass than the LP2 because I was going to go with the LP2.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #98 of 142
[size=10pt]The AKGs (AKG q701 and 240 mkii) I received disappointed greatly except for the AKG 271mk ii which were comparable, but not functional. I did burn in the AKG 271mk ii for about 45-55 hours and I was impressed with the sound and bass overall, but the headphones had a major flaw where they muted upon removal due to the little mechanism where the strap meets the headphone on the left side, which caused many annoyances when removing them thinking my source was off or broken. The other two headphones I mentioned initially and after some burn in were not even close to the LP2 and 271mk ii headphones. The LP2s sound even better after wearing them in and hearing different headphones, but if you are an audiophile on the go, a bass head, or just want good sound get the LP2s you will not be disappointed. Also for the people complaining of flaws should probably contacted V-moda to get another pair or have returned it to the seller. The only gripe I have is the 3 button cable not fully working, but that will be remedied I am sure after I call them.[/size]

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #99 of 142
Has anyone had extensive time with the LP1 vs. the LP2? I would like to know if the LP2 is worth the extra $80.
What concerns me is that many people are saying the LP2's sound quality isn't worth $200.

My only other option is the less attractive Pro700MK2. I haven't read a review yet that says that the Pro700 aren't worth their price. I would like to know if the Pro700's sound quality is overall better than the LP/LP2.

Quote:
After testing them out I am changing my bass and other scores after using them for about 70-80 hours now and having them been run over 110 hours.

Interesting! Your rating went up 2 points lol.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #100 of 142

Quote:

confused_face.gif

this is an instance were its audiophile vs consumer opinion, the lp2's are very bass heavy, however their not excessively warm and the mids are distinct due to the soundstage. The bass will hit, shake, and wow you. It has a lot of bass when coming from an audiophile stand point, from  a consumer standpoint its more average in bass quantity but it still hit really hard. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #101 of 142
I'm going to order new cans tonight/tomorrow. Essentially, which cans are better for the audiophile in terms of brighter, clearer treble, highs, mids, more open sound stage? The LP2 or the Pro700MK2?

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #102 of 142

Quote:
Has anyone had extensive time with the LP1 vs. the LP2? I would like to know if the LP2 is worth the extra $80.
What concerns me is that many people are saying the LP2's sound quality isn't worth $200.

My only other option is the less attractive Pro700MK2. I haven't read a review yet that says that the Pro700 aren't worth their price. I would like to know if the Pro700's sound quality is overall better than the LP/LP2.

Interesting! Your rating went up 2 points lol.

[size=10pt]The reason it went up two points is because after testing and listening to the other headsets I based it on overall appeal and experience with all the headphones. So the 2 points are warranted are because of the sound quality they give for the value. The other 3 headsets are good, but not great and the sound on the LP2 are overall good as they do pack a good amount of bass to satisfy most users.[/size]

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #103 of 142

Quote:
Future impressions to follow....

PS I have only had these phones for about 2 days, but even though my review doesnt show it I am very impressed and havent had enough time with them-in total about 12-14 hours listening time... so i will adjust the review after a few days....

PPS I will be having AKG q701 271mk ii and 240 mkii delivered in about 12 hours so i will have a better comparison of different headphones to do a just comparison... i have listened the the "great" beats studio and solo headphones and was not impressed except for the over hype that surrrounds them and the bass that is inside....and nothing else.

I thought the bass on the lp2 is a lot better than on the studios..

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #104 of 142
The beats headphones i think are best for extreme bass heads because it is overpowering and unbalanced, but if you have a best buy or any other seller with studios on display listen to them and you will see what i am talking about the best buy by me has studios out on display and the vzw store has the regular beats, but i used my cousins solos to test.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #105 of 142

Quote:
The beats headphones i think are best for extreme bass heads because it is overpowering and unbalanced, but if you have a best buy or any other seller with studios on display listen to them and you will see what i am talking about the best buy by me has studios out on display and the vzw store has the regular beats, but i used my cousins solos to test.

Well, while the Beats line does have impressive bass, the overall fidelity is mediocre. 
If you are looking for a bass-head phone, I think the Sony XB500 is a cheaper/better alternative. Or maybe the better built, removable cable V-Moda Lp2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back