V-Moda Crossfade Wireless 3
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stuck limo

Formerly with Light Harmonic/LH Labs
There is a new Crossfade Wireless 3 model out with no (written) reviews and only marketing materials. It is only sold through V-Moda and Adorama. It's supposedly "retuned" and offers a longer batter life (30 hours), USB-C, a mobile EQ app and the following codecs:

Qualcomm apt-X HD
AAC
SBC

V-Moda/Roland hasn't announced it on Head-Fi and only one review guy has really talked about it on YouTube:

I'm not really sure what V-Moda's marketing strategy is with this, since it's not widely available in normal retailers and they lack outreach to the headphone community. (correct me if wrong) I also see no responses from V-Moda to questions on this model from consumers on the official product video. (I don't even think they're part of this forum anymore)

I'm also not sure why V-Moda has a problem with adding a full range of codecs. First they only gave us SBC, then you had buy another model with AAC and AptX. I would have liked to have seen a normal selection (including aptX) on this headphone.

If anyone has experience with this headphone, or how it compares to the others in the range, or if V-Moda can chime in, that'd be awesome. I just purchased the V-Moda CF 2 Wireless Codex edition for my gf because I was so impressed with the sound (and she has Apple). I'd love to know how CF 3 comes out.

Edit: One person on Reddit has compared both CF2 and CF3. He says the CF3 is clearer with better instrument separation.

From V-Moda:

"V-MODA original dual diaphragm driver + new material adopted housing
Crossfade 3 Wireless uses a new material inside the housing to further evolved the popular V-MODA sound of the conventional model Crossfade 2 Wireless, and is equipped with a uniquely developed 50 mm dual diaphragm driver, making it more powerful and high. Achieves low- pitched sound with high resolution and mid-high range with a strong presence. Enjoy the most immersive club experience ever."

1660520373362.png

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 13
+1
I own a pair of beaten up CF2 (band is fraying, and some of the plastic frame is cracked from a few falls). I never expect wired quality out of bluetooth headphones, since they mostly seem bass heavy, but the v-moda tuning was pleasant enough to my hearing. I was interested in upgrading to the CF3 since I saw it came up but I hit the same wall of not much information or details and I was slightly worried when I saw they 're-tuned' the headphones. I don't want 'more bass', I just want more of the same.

Anyway, hopefully someone with some hands on experience can comment, thanks for starting this thread.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I have received the Crossfade 3 and the Wireless 2 Codex. I will compare them and see which one I'd like to keep or give as a gift. @derreve Very initial impressions (based on about 4 songs) are that these are not as bass heavy as the CF 2 and are more laid back.

Included are pictures from the unboxing. The USB cable is a short flat cable and the documentation is your typical V-Moda book. The cups and sizing all appear identical to the Wireless 2. This model appears to have multi-point connectivity as well. I'll be experimenting with the XL pads on the Crossfade 3 as well. Unboxing pics are here: https://imgur.com/a/pPS2vRO

Attachments

• 1661383327744.png
    1661383327744.png
    9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 13
I have received the Crossfade 3 and the Wireless 2 Codex. I will compare them and see which one I'd like to keep or give as a gift. @derreve Very initial impressions (based on about 4 songs) are that these are not as bass heavy as the CF 2 and are more laid back.

Included are pictures from the unboxing. The USB cable is a short flat cable and the documentation is your typical V-Moda book. The cups and sizing all appear identical to the Wireless 2. This model appears to have multi-point connectivity as well. I'll be experimenting with the XL pads on the Crossfade 3 as well. Unboxing pics are here: https://imgur.com/a/pPS2vRO
Hey could you please provide some updates on what you think about the sound signature? I'm confused between this and the beyerdynamic dt 900 pro x

Aug 26, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Hey could you please provide some updates on what you think about the sound signature? I'm confused between this and the beyerdynamic dt 900 pro x

So far the sound signature is very good. I'm still burning them in. Everything sounds laid back, clean, clear and the bass is well defined and not boomy. It is not in your face and it doesn't sound particularly "exciting" but it can bring the energy when called for. It does seem to soften the edges and make everything a bit colored. I was listening to a song I was very familiar with ("Sink to the Bottom" by Fountains of Wayne) and I noticed some of the grit and edge to the singer's voice was gone. It makes most things sound very pleasant. I would not describe this as an analytical headphone, but it's certainly no club thumper either. I would say it leans more towards the studio side (maybe the M200?) but in a very consumer friendly way.

I'll report back when I listen more, I haven't had a lot of time with these due to work and burn in.

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 13
OK, more thoughts:

The CF 3 is more up front, in your face BUT it's airier, MUCH smoother sounding (listen to them side by and side you'll notice this very obviously, especially on cymbals and drum hits), and brighter sounding with less bass than the CF2. The detail is better on this and everything sounds very smooth and tight and clean. Instrument separation seems better too and more defined. The bass is less on the CF 3 but sounds much more natural and clean and controlled.

HOWEVER

The CF 2 has a better, deeper more controlled soundstage (everything sounds more cohesive), much more bass, and WAY better tonality. I didn't notice any problems on the CF 3 with tonality UNTIL I listened to the CF 2 and found out the CF 3 has way too much upper midrange and does not sound anywhere as natural as the CF 2. I had to EQ the CF 3 because after hearing the CF 2 beside it, the CF 3 became overbearing and gave me a headache. There seemed to be a slight loss of detail and resolution when I did this but it's listenable now and the smoothness destroys the CF 2's.

There is no hint of fatigue in the highs or sibilance on either model.

So right now, it's kind of a toss up. If you like:

More Bass
Good soundstage
Tonality
Cohesiveness

go CF 2.

If you like:

Detail
Smoothness
Airiness
Controlled bass (but less)

go CF 3.

Here are my EQ settings which I generally very much enjoy on the CF 3 via the CF 3 App.

Attachments

• EQ - Imgur.jpg
    EQ - Imgur.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 13
After owning the CF3 for some time now I have to say I appreciate this new model: it does have a bit less bass than the CF2, in my opinion going back in direction of the original M-100 -- my all-time favorite. Treble also seems a bit less, making for a less V-shaped sound than the CF2. I don't use them very often since I still prefer the M-100, but its nice to have a wireless option as well. And battery life is really good now -- though I never had problems with the CF2, 12h being generally enough for me to comfortable find a charging outlet.
I immediately changed the pads to the XL pads. I can tolerate the old M-100/CF1 pads, but the newer version used with CF2/CF3 just doesn't work for me: the opening is just too small, so they sit partly on my ears, with one seam always in a position that starts to hurt rather soon. The XL pads are of course very comfortable, but they could have used those as a default by now...
I'd also prefer to have the audio in on the left side... but that's a minor point, I'll most probably never use it wired anyway. Glad they kept the Crossfade shield dimensions -- I really have to get a pair of custom shields at last. I also like that the black version (which looks best to me) still comes with the orange cable, just like the M-100. A pity they did not keep the original box design. The hardship case looks like it always did (and feels sturdier than the one that comes with the M-200).
Having the headband covered in pleather without the mesh (like the Pre-M-100-Master models did) is a welcome change. The cups feel a bit more like rubber on the outside, offering a bit more grip than the older models. They also look a bit more like very dark grey than black. I'm not exactly a fan of having the (new) logo on the shields, I preferred the more subtle branding of the older matte black versions (rose gold and white CF2, and shadow and white M-100 always had a more readable printing on the headband).

Overall I'm still not sure the buyout by Roland did well to V-Moda overall, loosing some (M-100 Master) or all (M-200) of their signature sound, and seemingly struggling to come up with new models that are worthy successors. The S-80 was an interesting twist, but on-ear... is simply not for me. So I never heard it. The TWS models were underwhelming at best, the over-ear models so so -- except for the CF3, which I quite like.

IMG_8474.jpegIMG_8475.jpegIMG_8476.jpegIMG_8478.jpegIMG_8479.jpeg

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Hey! I got name checked on V-Moda's site! :beyersmile::beerchug:

Anyone else still enjoying these? They're on sale on Amazon now + other retailers. I was about to buy a pair of Senn Momentum 4 but I'm hearing issues with their software/ANC exist so I'm kind of on the fence and sticking with these for now as my main wireless (full sizes).

A buddy of mine tried these wired off a Schiiit Magni Heresy and he said they reminded him of his big studio monitors (RA Labs Reference 2a Black Gold) and enjoyed them very much.

Review.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey! I got name checked on V-Moda's site! :beyersmile::beerchug:

Anyone else still enjoying these? They're on sale on Amazon now + other retailers. I was about to buy a pair of Senn Momentum 4 but I'm hearing issues with their software/ANC exist so I'm kind of on the fence and sticking with these for now as my main wireless (full sizes).

A buddy of mine tried these wired off a Schiiit Magni Heresy and he said they reminded him of his big studio monitors (RA Labs Reference 2a Black Gold) and enjoyed them very much.

Review.jpg
Im still using them at times — don’t use Bluetooth much, mostly wired, with the old M-100 being my on-the-go model of choice — and enjoy them. I think they are a bit more balanced than the CFW2, but I use both with the XL pads. Stock pads are… not comfortable for me.

May 11, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Im still using them at times — don’t use Bluetooth much, mostly wired, with the old M-100 being my on-the-go model of choice — and enjoy them. I think they are a bit more balanced than the CFW2, but I use both with the XL pads. Stock pads are… not comfortable for me.
Do these have to be powered on to be used in wired mode? I've used them exactly once a very long time ago in wired mode and I can't remember the process and I don't have them anywhere near me to check.

May 11, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 13
Do these have to be powered on to be used in wired mode? I've used them exactly once a very long time ago in wired mode and I can't remember the process and I don't have them anywhere near me to check.
No, they work as a passive headphone in wired headphone, i.e. they are not tuned via DSP but as a normal headphone. Obviously the EQ won't work in that mode.
Turning them on doesn't even work when the cable is inserted: I can move the switch into the "on" position, but the light doesn't illuminate.

I have to add I much prefer headphones that are tuned acoustically and don't make a cheap driver listenable with some DSP tricks that fall flat when the battery is empty.

May 11, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 13
No, they work as a passive headphone in wired headphone, i.e. they are not tuned via DSP but as a normal headphone. Obviously the EQ won't work in that mode.
Turning them on doesn't even work when the cable is inserted: I can move the switch into the "on" position, but the light doesn't illuminate.

I have to add I much prefer headphones that are tuned acoustically and don't make a cheap driver listenable with some DSP tricks that fall flat when the battery is empty.
Thanks! Probably gonna get a pair for a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back