[V-Moda Crossfade M100] Sound issues when plugging into 6.35 mm jacks? Please help!
Mar 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

playmeoasis

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to this world of headphones and thus my knowledge is shallow. 
So I'm hoping to get some help with a rather strange issue I'm having.

Recently became a new owner of V-Moda Crossfade M100.
They sound great with portable players and I absolutely love the aesthetics. 

The issue I'm having is:
When I use the provided 6.35 mm adapter to connect the cans into a desktop USB amp, the sound is not normal.
I'm using the orange cable that came with the headphones.
It has a built-in mic and a button to activate it for Android etc.
It sounds like I'm listening to a sound in a big hall from behind a wall in distance.
It's really distant and there is pretty much no bass at all.
The weird thing is that if I press the mic button on the cable, I get the normal sound.
But obviously I cannot be holding the button the whole time.

Anybody have an idea as to what's causing this issue?

Couple things I tried:
-The headphones work perfectly fine if I just plug into a 3.5 mm jack, so I don't think the unit is defective.
-I've tried with 3 different amps, and the same thing happened with all 3. So the amp isn't the issue.
-I tried using the other provided cable without the mic (it has shareplay feature instead). But no luck either.
 Only, I cannot get the normal full sound at all with this cable since it doesn't even have the mic button.
-I have another pair of headphones with very similar impedance and sensitivity and they work totally fine.
-The OS is Windows 7 and I have no other sound device connected to the computer. 

I've contacted the manufacture's support and they are just sending me a new cable and an adapter.
But since I've already tried the other cable, I'm not sure if that would solve my problem. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds to me like it could be the 1/4" adapter. 3.5mm works fine. mic cable + adapter is bad. non-mic cable + adapter is bad. The common part for the two that are bad is the adapter.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Perhaps - I was thinking maybe the left and right of the adapter are wired out of phase. I'm thinking that might also explain why the remote button affects it.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 5
The new adapter finally did arrive but the problem isn't resolved =(
Now I am somewhat worried that maybe it is actually the headphone itself (the jack?) is messed up.
Tried both jacks (M100's come with one jack on each side and you can supposedly use either one), but the problem still there.
Any ideas? V-Moda's tech support isn't always so prompt.

EDIT: Turns out the new adapter they sent was ALSO defective ha. Went to a local headphone store and found a working adapter and everything is good now. Sorry for redundunt posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back