V-Moda Crossfade M-100 v.s. Sennheiser Momentum
Mar 9, 2015 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

anthonyhong21

New Head-Fier
Hi. I've been thinking about getting a good pair of headphones I just want to know what you guys think.
Please do NOT recommend any other headphones.
Here are some things that I want in my headphones.

Comfort
-Clamping pressure needs to be moderate or less. I hate it when headphones press too hard against my head.
-I don't mind the earcups getting a bit warm. It's okay as long it doesn't make me sweat.
-I've heard that some report discomfort with the V-Moda's because your ear may touch the back of the driver. Anyone with that problem?
-When talking about the V-Moda's, please do not talk about the XL pads. I want to know how they are without any custom mods.

Sound Quality
-How much bass do each of them have? I heard that the V-Moda's are more bass-ier, but I want to know how they compare.
-How are the treble on the two?

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 8
If the M100's comfort is identical to LP then to my experience they are really bad comfortwise. I had to sell mine beacuse they hurt my ears (Remember that we all have different heads and ears).

Here's a graph that might help you get a grasp of their difference:

graphCompare.php

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 8
I could be mistaken, but I am not aware of any ear pad replacements for the Momentums. I only tried them for a couple minutes, but I could tell that they would be uncomfortable for me with big ears and a big head.

I have not tried the M-100, but at least you would have the option of chaning out the pads. Also, it isn't exactly a custom mod considering that V-Moda sells the XL pads...

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 8
I own the V-MODA Crossfade LP, which is identical to the M-100 fit-wise. Clamping pressure has never bothered me with any headphone. The main problem is that the ear pads are shallow, so your ears do press up against them. It gets painful after awhile. The V-MODA XL Memory Cushions provide a 30% increase in diameter, have 55% larger volume space, and are two times deeper, so it's an easy fix. Mentioning the pads is crucial, because they are unbearable without them! I heard the V-MODA Crossfade M-100, Sennheiser MOMENTUM, and Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear side by side once...however, it was only briefly in a store, so I wouldn't be able to give you much first-hand insight. Both the LP and M-100 have emphasized bass and upper treble -- the M-100 less so. The LP has too much bass in the sense that it drowns out many of the other frequencies, making everything sound a little muddy, but the upper treble is totally clear in comparison. For what it's worth, I like V-MODA's closed headphones more than Sennheiser's, which I was apathetic about. (Open headphones are another story!)

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 8
I am also interested in these two headphones. I can't decide which to buy and have been weighing the qualities of both headphones for a while. I listen to mainly alternative rock, indie, classic rock, rap, and some edm. I would use them mostly on the go, at the gym, on a plane trip, etc. I like the portability of the V-Moda, but I think I would appreciate the warmer and clearer sound of the Sennheisers. I am not an audiophile, but I appreciate good sounding headphones. Which headphone do you think would be best for me? Or is there any other headphone you could recommend that fits this description and is in this price range? Right now the Momentums are available for $160 on Amazon, compared to $250 for the M100s. The huge price difference is also making my decision very difficult.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 8
  I am also interested in these two headphones. I can't decide which to buy and have been weighing the qualities of both headphones for a while. I listen to mainly alternative rock, indie, classic rock, rap, and some edm. I would use them mostly on the go, at the gym, on a plane trip, etc. I like the portability of the V-Moda, but I think I would appreciate the warmer and clearer sound of the Sennheisers. I am not an audiophile, but I appreciate good sounding headphones. Which headphone do you think would be best for me? Or is there any other headphone you could recommend that fits this description and is in this price range? Right now the Momentums are available for $160 on Amazon, compared to $250 for the M100s. The huge price difference is also making my decision very difficult.

Did you end up buying one of them? The MOMENTUM is acceptable, but ultimately too boring for me. (Used to own it. Still only briefly auditioned the M-100.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back