v-moda crossfade lp
Jul 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

doggrell3000

New Head-Fier
i just bought 2 pair of v-moda crossfade lp headphones ( gun metal grey ) - one for myself and one for my daughter's 24th birthday ( bastille day ) . i realize few of the high end super headphone owners on this forum will be less than overwhelmed by the purchase of a three year old design which is already upgraded by the v-moda lp2 and probably is not even manufactured any longer . yet i could not be more impressed with this product . i listen mostly to classical solo piano and piano / orchestral and piano / trio recordings . i will occasionally put on an old 60's or 70's dylan bb king jerry garcia or hendrix but 90% of my listening is bach mozart beethoven scarlatti chopin rachmaninof and debussy ( and many obscure composers whose records are hard to come by ) . i do not have much money and could not afford to buy expensive headphones . i have been listening to music for years with a pair of serviceable behringer b3030a monitors . last week the v-moda crossfade lp 1s appeared on amazon at a very low special one day price -- about 25% of the original mslp 3 years ago . so i picked up 2 pair at a price amazon normally charges for just one . my hearing is not as great as it once was . still i was not prepared for the revelation of how far the new technology of headphones has progressed . i have not owned any phones for ten years or more and have been keeping up with the new developments and incredible price rises by lurking on head-fi . you rich audiophiles are forking over two or three grand for headphones plus another two or three grand for headphone amps . i envy your bank accounts . my very modest computer has a musiland monitor 01 us sound card attached to the usb port . i can plug my new v-moda lps into the musiland sound card and hear startling new details on every recording in my diverse collection . the acoustic grand piano is notoriously difficult to reproduce on digital cd . these days most people rarely get to hear a scarlatti sonata played in a parlor on a modern steinway . the experience is nothing like a recorded sound . but i have brought myself a little bit closer to the natural timbre of the grand piano by using the inexpensive full range v-moda lp 1s ( which have excellent bass - great for grand piano music ) and could not be more pleased with a low priced pair of headphones that are comfortable attractive and sound wonderful . plus they were very cheap . i am also using a radio shack stereo extension cord but it does not seem to effect the sound quality at all . so that's my story ..... mid-fi on the cheap and amazed at how good it sounds . i would not have been aware of this product if it were not for this forum . thanks guys .

doggrell3000

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 13
I also took advantage of the $75 Amazon Gold Box deal.  I've been wondering what else I could have gotten that might be better for around that price (e.g. Sony V6, Noontec Zoro, JVC HA-S500, CAL!, etc.).  Buyers remorse I guess.  Anyway, with a little EQ'ing to tone down the LP's bass, I don't think any of the aforementioned phones would blow them out of the water.  Throw in the warranty, cables and exoskeleton case and I see a really good deal.  Think I'm going to keep them.  

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 13
good choice slowpickr

i like my v-moda crossfade lp1s . i have to brag a little bit . i even paid less than the gold box price after some additional cajoling for a discount to the friendly amazon lady who was in capetown south africa . i do not need any phones that are better than the v-moda crossfade lp1s . at the price i paid they were a steal . i will keep them for many years to come . the v-moda lps are built well and sound great and look cool . sure there are better phones for more money ( from what i have read on head-fi ) but the difference would be lost on my old ears anyway . i might be merely optimistic but i think all headphones - even the inexpensive v-moda lp1s - will improve slightly with use because the speakers loosen up a little bit . we shall see ( hear ) .

doggrell3000

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Shoot I started a thread on the full size forum and it has like 6 pages of people arguing with me about purchasing them! They were disappointed. I'll get them either tomorrow or in the coming week so I'll have to wait.

You might check out my thread. I just wanted some decent looking headphones.

FYI don't go to headfi when looking for stylish headphones lmao.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
But I want to know if any of their talk is relevant. If they just plugged em in to an iPod and blasted em away without burn in or an amp...

The LP1s are very good headphones for their current price.  The LP2s are slightly more refined and the M100s even moreso...but they go up exponentially in price.  If you paid 100 or less for the LP1s, you are getting good value, especially when compared to some other higher profile headphones out there that cost significantly more. :wink:

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 13
The LP1s are very good headphones for their current price.  The LP2s are slightly more refined and the M100s even moreso...but they go up exponentially in price.  If you paid 100 or less for the LP1s, you are getting good value, especially when compared to some other higher profile headphones out there that cost significantly more. :wink:

Thanks. I'm into bass heavy dubstep when I'm out and about so boomy, sexy headphones are what I need. Pfft I have other headphones for all the other genres. Although this review goes highly against a lot of others. The reviews I've seen are either "-1 star review" or "99999 stars these are the best those one stars don't know their headphones".

I'm excited to see what all the fuss is.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 13
I have several hours of play time on them, mostly out of a Cowon D2+.  Personally, I don't hear any muddiness or boominess.  Good bass with some detailed treble and mids.   

I definitely wouldn't give $200 for them.  However, at $75 I think they are a bargain.  I can wear them for about 2 hours and then my ears start to hurt.  Have to take them off for a few minutes.  The case and the cables are great.  Please let us know what you think after you've burned them in and have some good listening time on them.  I've read mixed reviews on the affect your source will have on them.  I've had good luck with the D2+ on every headphone I've ever owned.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I have several hours of play time on them, mostly out of a Cowon D2+.  Personally, I don't hear any muddiness or boominess.  Good bass with some detailed treble and mids.   

I definitely wouldn't give $200 for them.  However, at $75 I think they are a bargain.  I can wear them for about 2 hours and then my ears start to hurt.  Have to take them off for a few minutes. 

I have the Crossfade LP2's and have this same problem with some pain after time.

I read on this forum that if you hold the headphones by the headband and press your thumbs into the centre of the headband so that the earcups start to flex in and out, that will help with comfort significantly. Skeptical at first, I tried it and it really works. I just pressed my thumbs into the headband for a few seconds about 20 times before each wear and find I can wear them for a lot longer before experiencing discomfort.

Normally you would flex headbands by pulling the earcups out, like over a PC tower or a set of books overnight, but this wasn't reccomended by the Head-Fi community because that's the weakest part of the headphone, and the top of the headband itself is the strongest part.

Anyway that might help you with comfort quite a bit.

I did pay $220 for my LP2's, but I live in Australia, so for you guys that live in the US, UK etc that have Amazon warehouses, if you cna get the LP2 or LP cheap then you are definitely on to a winner there. They are great headphones and in my opinion have at least twice the bass of Sony, Beats, or even the highly regarded Audio Technica M50s.

The current LP2's are easily the best value basshead headphone under $200. It's worth noting that you lose about 6dB of bass by upgrading to the M100 headphones, so that's reccomended for people who find the LP/LP2's "too bassy/boomy" but for everyone else, the LP models are the best value headphones V-Moda make. :)

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I have the Crossfade LP2's and have this same problem with some pain after time.

I read on this forum that if you hold the headphones by the headband and press your thumbs into the centre of the headband so that the earcups start to flex in and out, that will help with comfort significantly. Skeptical at first, I tried it and it really works. I just pressed my thumbs into the headband for a few seconds about 20 times before each wear and find I can wear them for a lot longer before experiencing discomfort.

Normally you would flex headbands by pulling the earcups out, like over a PC tower or a set of books overnight, but this wasn't reccomended by the Head-Fi community because that's the weakest part of the headphone, and the top of the headband itself is the strongest part.

Anyway that might help you with comfort quite a bit.

Thanks!  I am definitely giving that a try.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 13
dbdynsty25 said :

The LP1s are very good headphones for their current price. The LP2s are slightly more refined and the M100s even more so...but they go up exponentially in price. If you paid 100 or less for the LP1s, you are getting good value, especially when compared to some other higher profile headphones out there that cost significantly more. :wink:

i think this appraisal hits the proverbial nail on the head . there are lots of good sounding headphones priced under 100 bucks and my final price after special discounts for the v-moda crossfade lp 1s was less than $60 delivered . at prices this low the v-moda lp 1s may have a few phones that compare to them in one aspect or another but certainly nothing actually better can be bought for less than 100 dollars . i would love to have the v-moda m100s but i don't have the money . the v-moda lp 1s probably will be completely out of production soon if they aren't already . still they will remain a great value at the price that i paid . i am not really a headphone freak . i am curious about how the top of the line stax or audeze lcd3s etc. sound but one pair of luxury headphones cost the same as six months rent .

doggrell3000

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 13
@jjcoolaus

I tried your flex method on the head band.  Definitely helped the ears.  However, a side effect occurred with pressure on the very top of my head which was very uncomfortable.  Going to try to come up with a happy medium somewhere.  I'm beginning to realize why the wife tells me I have a big head all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back