V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
Jan 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dasoundman

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, first post so hope you don't mind if I make any errors and mods feel free to fix them. My question is, I have a budget of around $100. I have narrowed the selection I am looking at to AKG and V-Moda. I listen to mainly Metal, rock and rap. I do like an enriched bass sound but still love the sound of crisp mids and highs. I will be driving these with a Mitsubishi M-VR 600 amp. Will either of these headphones be able to handle this type of power? Also, what advantages do you guys think each have over each other? I am coming from a pair of Sennheiser hd429's. Need something with a little more power and clarity. Thanks for the help! 

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 9
I dont know virtually anything about the AKGs, I have considered picking myself up a pair though, but I do own a pair of the V-Moda LP2s. All I can tell you is that the normal V-Moda LPs may not suit your musical interest very well. The LP2 is said to be a vast improvement over the normal LP, sound quality wise. And even though I LOVE my LP2s I must say they dont have the strongest treble ability and do not do particularly well with metal and rock. 

The LP2s and LPs are both bass emphasized cans, which does take away from the treble ability. I listen to plenty of rock and metal on my LP2s but I cant say that it is amazing. So since the LP2s are said to have better sound quality over the LPs, I wouldnt be too confident in their ability to perform well on metal and rock, the rap should do well though with the bass emphasizing. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply! I have heard in some reviews of the treble in the moda's to be dampened by the bass. Also that they don't have a stable sound throughout the genres. If I could get the same amount of bass out of the AKG's with better mids and highs it sounds like that would be the better option. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 9
If you are going to look further into the AKGs, Ive come across a few other models of theirs within your price range on Amazon, if one does not fit your need then the others might.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K142HD-Definition-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B0028N78HA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1359514861&sr=8-9&keywords=AKG

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-271-MK-II/dp/B0016MOC28/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1359514861&sr=8-15&keywords=AKG

Personally I would begin my search with the K142 HD, as it is a semi open-backed design. As Ive read open back models such as Grado or Sennheiser HD600/HD650 are quite good with Metal/Rock/Acoustic based listening. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, I was looking at the k127mk2 too. The problem with the semi open design is that I may possibly use these in a car and would not like a lot of sound leakage. I also like the option of interchangeable ear pads and cables. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 9
The AKG K271 MKII has interchangeable cables and ear pads, also closed back design for a good seal. But I do not know how it performs on treble needy music, I am only giving you some suggestions. You might search up some reviews on the K271 MKII for further insight.

EDIT: The K240 MKII also has interchangeable cables and ear pads, forgot to mention. As I said only giving suggestions, in the end its up to you.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Sure thing. I will search more on the benefits of the open backed design. Thanks for all of the help! I can't wait to hear my music through some high quality phones though
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 9
As Ive actually just discovered, somehow managed to miss this, the K240 MKII is also a semi-open back design, so you will not get the noise isolation from them that you would from the K271 MKII.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, after further research the ath m50 seemed to meet all of my needs. Just pulled the gun about two hours ago and am gonna get them friday. Hoping these will be quite a bit better than my old 429's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back