V-MODA Crossfade LP 2 or Audio Technica ATH M50X
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SidTheKid

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I have been doing extensive research on over ear headphones under 200 dollars and have found the ATH M50X and CROSSFADE LP2 to be my top picks. But the problem is I cant decide between the two. 

First of all, I want these headphones mainly to listen to songs and watch movies at home.. and travel occasionally. I want good bass, and clear,quality sound.   Both of them are portable enough for me. The accessories included with both headphones are fine for me.

I value bass a bit more than vocals. But if the mids/vocals on the V-MODA are considerably worse than the ATH M50X, I would get the M50X.

So I mainly want to know whether the ATH M50X has good enough bass for a bass lover to get a kick out of or whether it is just OK bass. I also want to know whether the LP 2's mids are muddy because then they wouldnt be of much use to watch movies or listen to some vocal heavy songs. I have read from reviews that the LP 2's had a much more refined bass and better mids than the original LP's. So if someone could tell me about the specific things mentioned above, that would be great.

Also, which of the two is more comfortable. I have heard that the LP 2's have a bit more of a stiff earpad compared to the M50X. Also how much of a difference does the XL earpad make on the LP2? I want to know whether it is worth investing in... And does the ATH M50X feel a bit heavy after a few hours of listening? 

So based on my needs and preferences which one do you think I should buy?

Thank you for your time and glad you could answer!! :D

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 7
LP2 has strong bass emphasis that is very detailed and fun but I always had to turn up the volume to hear anything else(which gets fatiguing). They are very very good for electronic music but it's unbalanced so not so good for everything else. 

M50x is significantly more balanced with a tilt towards bass. It has a very accurate bass response and it is it's strong suit. It works for many different genre's so I would definitely recommend them. I don't think it has a problem with reproducing mids so it should work well for your music, but it all depends on what type of headphone you're coming from. 

M50X earpads are much more comfortable -fits like a glove. The LP2's are awkward and uncomfortable after an hour or so. Definitely recommend the M50X out of the two.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 7
These are my first pair of headphones.

The thing is I prefer the comfort and sound of the M50X, but I love the look,durability and customizability of the LP2.

So again which one??

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 7
These are my first pair of headphones.

The thing is I prefer the comfort and sound of the M50X, but I love the look,durability and customizability of the LP2.

So again which one??

Well then you won't know until you try. I'd buy one you think you'll like from amazon, they have a great return policy if it's not the one for you. Without a point of reference there's not much more advice I can give you. You actually might prefer the LP2 sound better just know that the bass is more turned up in the LP2's. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Going with the V-MODAs because of better bass, mic, lightness, warranty, case and the extra shields. Only disadvantage is having to buy the XL pads. Otherwise, is great for me.

Thanks guys!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back