V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
May 11, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #857 of 1,668
Have a look at my CF2 review guys:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/review/18567/

20170511_081112.jpg

May 17, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #860 of 1,668
For those of you who have owned both the original Crossfade Wireless, and this current new model, how does the sound compare between the two? Is it worth upgrading? I currently have the original CW, was wondering if it's worth upgrading.

May 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #861 of 1,668
For those of you who have owned both the original Crossfade Wireless, and this current new model, how does the sound compare between the two? Is it worth upgrading? I currently have the original CW, was wondering if it's worth upgrading.
Not sure if this will help or not...But I purchased the CFW1 and returned them after ~2 weeks of use...I was not impressed. The CFW2s were released shortly after i returned the CFW1s. I purchased the CFW2s and have been enjoying them ever sense. So...CFW1 returned, disappointed in sound. CFW2, love them.

I'd also recommend reviewing all the comments in this forum, as I believe there are a number of comparisons/reviews/thoughts provided.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #862 of 1,668
Not sure if this will help or not...But I purchased the CFW1 and returned them after ~2 weeks of use...I was not impressed. The CFW2s were released shortly after i returned the CFW1s. I purchased the CFW2s and have been enjoying them ever sense. So...CFW1 returned, disappointed in sound. CFW2, love them.

I'd also recommend reviewing all the comments in this forum, as I believe there are a number of comparisons/reviews/thoughts provided.

Great thanks! currently looking back through the thread for other members' thoughts. I am tempted to take advantage of the Immortal life program and trade in the CFW1's for the 50% discount, but I wish I could listen to the CFW2's before deciding whether to trade them in or not.

May 17, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #863 of 1,668
I listen to my CF2W's mostly in wired mode out of my Sony PHA-1A amp...and I literally LOVE the sound of these compared to the V1s. The bass is slightly less boomy and the overall sound profile is quite a bit more refined. A bit more sparkle on the highs and the mids are a little more forward (the originals were a touch recessed IMO). I attribute some of the sound differences going from the XL pads on the M100s/CF1s to the new memory foam pads which are absolutely fantastic. Not quite as spacious, but way better than the original pads on the old models.

All in all, I really can't complain about anything w/ the CF2Ws...outside of the inexplicable removal of APTx in all models, this headphone should be a highly rated legend by the time more people give them a shot. Hopefully being a wireless model doesn't dissuade people from trying them if they need a wired option. They are fantastic.

May 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #865 of 1,668
I like the CF2W, but they're far too fatiguing at higher volumes to ever win out over the first CW for me. They're just not very "fun". Keep in mind I use my headsets for movies and gaming as much as I do music. I loved the CW1 sound signature right from the start. I still don't love the CF2W sound signature. I like it a lot for music at medium-to-low volumes, but I can't stand them for movies/gaming.

May 18, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #866 of 1,668
Great thanks! currently looking back through the thread for other members' thoughts. I am tempted to take advantage of the Immortal life program and trade in the CFW1's for the 50% discount, but I wish I could listen to the CFW2's before deciding whether to trade them in or not.

You might find them on display if a Best Buy Store near you has a Magnolia section with the headphones in-stock. I know others have chimed in but I figured I would do so as well since I went from the Crossfade M-100 to the CFW1 to the CF2W. I upgraded to the CFW1's as I knew I would be getting an iPhone 7 so I wanted something wireless (I absolutely hate dongles). I used them exclusively in wireless mode and they were good but not great. I felt that the bass, although punchy, was sloppy. The sub-bass bled into the mid-bass and it didn't feel as tight as the M-100's. I also thought that the highs could be fatiguing at times. They were still better than other wireless over-the-ear headphones I had listened to (at the time) but I didn't like them more than my M-100's.

I traded the CFW1's in for the CF2W's and have been really happy. Again, I'm using them exclusively in wireless mode but I think they're much better. The bass has been dialed down but it's no longer sloppy. The sub and mid-bass are clearly defined and still exciting, the highs are present without being harsh, and I think the sound stage is even more spread out than in the CFW1's and is on par with the M-100's. I have the rose gold versions and have used them with aptX and non-aptX devices. Whatever V-Moda has done, they were able to have the sound quality carry over from aptX to standard SBC (unless there is some AAC "magic" going on I don't know about. Granted, this was a sighted, non-volume matched test but I couldn't hear a difference in sound quality when music (320kbps Lame/Google mp3 files) was coming from my Moto Z Force (aptX), iPad Air 2 (AAC & SBC), and Surface Pro 4 (SBC & I don't know what else).

I think the increase in battery life, the cliq fold hinges, memory foam earpads (which will be available at a later time), and audio quality makes the CF2W's a solid upgrade over the CFW1's and even the M-100's (at least when audio is sourced from a consumer smartphone and when being used in wireless mode, where applicable).

May 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #867 of 1,668
You might find them on display if a Best Buy Store near you has a Magnolia section with the headphones in-stock. I know others have chimed in but I figured I would do so as well since I went from the Crossfade M-100 to the CFW1 to the CF2W. I upgraded to the CFW1's as I knew I would be getting an iPhone 7 so I wanted something wireless (I absolutely hate dongles). I used them exclusively in wireless mode and they were good but not great. I felt that the bass, although punchy, was sloppy.

I should have been clearer in my impressions of the CFW1 vs the CF2W. It was all referring to wired mode. In wireless mode, there's absolutely no contest between the two. The CF2W blow the first ones away. In wired mode I prefer the CFW1, but definitely not in wireless. Wireless on the CFW1 just sounds sloppy. On the 2s I find it to be great on AptX or SBC (or whatever it is Apple TV 4 is using). Also agree that cliq-fold and the softer cushions are a great addition. With all that being said, I'd still rather use my M100s. hah

May 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #868 of 1,668
You might find them on display if a Best Buy Store near you has a Magnolia section with the headphones in-stock. I know others have chimed in but I figured I would do so as well since I went from the Crossfade M-100 to the CFW1 to the CF2W. I upgraded to the CFW1's as I knew I would be getting an iPhone 7 so I wanted something wireless (I absolutely hate dongles). I used them exclusively in wireless mode and they were good but not great. I felt that the bass, although punchy, was sloppy. The sub-bass bled into the mid-bass and it didn't feel as tight as the M-100's. I also thought that the highs could be fatiguing at times. They were still better than other wireless over-the-ear headphones I had listened to (at the time) but I didn't like them more than my M-100's.

I traded the CFW1's in for the CF2W's and have been really happy. Again, I'm using them exclusively in wireless mode but I think they're much better. The bass has been dialed down but it's no longer sloppy. The sub and mid-bass are clearly defined and still exciting, the highs are present without being harsh, and I think the sound stage is even more spread out than in the CFW1's and is on par with the M-100's. I have the rose gold versions and have used them with aptX and non-aptX devices. Whatever V-Moda has done, they were able to have the sound quality carry over from aptX to standard SBC (unless there is some AAC "magic" going on I don't know about. Granted, this was a sighted, non-volume matched test but I couldn't hear a difference in sound quality when music (320kbps Lame/Google mp3 files) was coming from my Moto Z Force (aptX), iPad Air 2 (AAC & SBC), and Surface Pro 4 (SBC & I don't know what else).

I think the increase in battery life, the cliq fold hinges, memory foam earpads (which will be available at a later time), and audio quality makes the CF2W's a solid upgrade over the CFW1's and even the M-100's (at least when audio is sourced from a consumer smartphone and when being used in wireless mode, where applicable).

I should have been clearer in my impressions of the CFW1 vs the CF2W. It was all referring to wired mode. In wireless mode, there's absolutely no contest between the two. The CF2W blow the first ones away. In wired mode I prefer the CFW1, but definitely not in wireless. Wireless on the CFW1 just sounds sloppy. On the 2s I find it to be great on AptX or SBC (or whatever it is Apple TV 4 is using). Also agree that cliq-fold and the softer cushions are a great addition. With all that being said, I'd still rather use my M100s. hah

Thank you for the feedback! To update, I actually contacted V-moda support, and asked them if I could buy the CF2W at full price, and try them out once I received them, and if I decided to keep them, if I could then send in my CFW1 and receive a credit to my credit card for the 50% (that way I could try them out without having to give up my CFW1 beforehand). To my surprise, they actually agreed, so I ended up placing an order for the Rose Gold version yesterday! Excited to try them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back