V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 23, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #766 of 1,668
So overall, would you say your friend enjoyed the AT most, M-100's, then the CF2W? I always think its a great idea of getting peoples opinions who dont know one headphone brand to the other. Its a  complete honest and non biased opinion 

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #767 of 1,668

I don't blame you man. That's the one thing I absolutely f*ing HATE about the M100s. I LOVE my XS because I can hang them around my neck much easier. I also have issues hanging the ATH-m40x around my neck unless I lay the cups flat against my chest.

edit: I realize I could extend the headband up/down to give my neck extra clearance, but then that's an extra annoying step. Oh well.

Edit: the guy next to me at work just tried out my ATH-m40x vs CF II vs M100. He said the ATH sounded "amazing". He enjoyed the M-100 a LOT, saying he was hearing notes he'd never heard. The CF II were good but he really enjoyed the bass on the M100. He wants a pair of the M100 for his birthday now.

So overall, would you say your friend enjoyed the AT most, M-100's, then the CF2W? I always think its a great idea of getting peoples opinions who dont know one headphone brand to the other. Its a  complete honest and non biased opinion 

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #768 of 1,668

Yeah, no, this kid doesn't know anything about headphones or audio equipment in general. I was actually doing something with the ATH in my hand while listening to the CF II and he said, "those look like the most comfortable headphones ever." So I'm like, "Yeah,you wanna hear them?" Then handed him the ATH, let him listen a while, then handed him the M100, then he eventually listened to the CF II. 

My impression, though he didn't explicitly state this, was that he enjoyed the M100s most, then the ATH, then the CF II last. But I can't really verify that because he didn't really give me a comment on the CF II other than "those are nice" and an open mouthed expression when I told him the $355 price tag. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #769 of 1,668
Yeah, no, this kid doesn't know anything about headphones or audio equipment in general. I was actually doing something with the ATH in my hand while listening to the CF II and he said, "those look like the most comfortable headphones ever." So I'm like, "Yeah,you wanna hear them?" Then handed him the ATH, let him listen a while, then handed him the M100, then he eventually listened to the CF II. 

My impression, though he didn't explicitly state this, was that he enjoyed the M100s most, then the ATH, then the CF II last. But I can't really verify that because he didn't really give me a comment on the CF II other than "those are nice" and an open mouthed expression when I told him the $355 price tag. 

Lol, yup, and I'm sure if u told him the ATH's were about $90-$100, he'd pick those

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #770 of 1,668
Lol, yup, and I'm sure if u told him the ATH's were about $90-$100, he'd pick those

I did tell him they were $80 (he was pretty stunned at that), then I told him the M100s were about $150 used and he still said he was going to ask his parents for the M100s for his birthday. I told him he may want to get the double headphone cable that we've mentioned and he wrote that down too. Didn't mention the XL pads though, I guess I can let him know that too. I mean, he's still looking at almost $200 even buying them used with the XL pads, minus the $18 cable.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #773 of 1,668
  Give me M-100 sound, the newly designed earpads, BT 5.0 ACC/Apt-X, Cliqfold, 20 hrs battery.  Here's my $350

I may be waiting a few years..

There's no point in including Bluetooth 5 now, not when the new audio specs haven't been implemented yet and most devices are Bluetooth 4.x which means that the headphones would step down from 5.0 to 4.x anyways.  It would have been better for V-Moda to use a Class 1 Bluetooth 4.x chip.  It would retain compatibility with older devices without having to step down and you would get the added benefit of having a 100 meter wireless range.

Edit: 100 meter wireless range, not 100 ft.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #774 of 1,668
It took quite some time (10 days in customs alone actually, about 3 weeks in total) for the matte black to arrive, but at last...

I had a short listen trying to compare the matte black to the rose gold using an AK380 (using aptX with the latter obviously) and while switching takes too much time I'd say there is a difference in the treble presentation with aptX providing more details and a more spacious sound, though not night and day. Bass seemed a bit stronger on the matte black.

I wore the rose gold today on my commute and are very satisfied. It might even isolate a bit better with the new pads. I *really* like the sound, its an improvement over the original wireless, cleaner and more detailed. Still I like the design of the older pads a bit better (but I've not had comfort problems with those pads, so I was not that impatiently waiting for a change anyway).

Actually I prefer the cable on the left side, but I guess I'll use it mainly without.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #775 of 1,668
  Give me M-100 sound, the newly designed earpads, BT 5.0 ACC/Apt-X, Cliqfold, 20 hrs battery.  Here's my $350

I may be waiting a few years..

Give me the same M-100 sound...with at least 5 more decibels (dB) of sensitivity, power handling, and maximum excursion capability (i.e., X-max) of the drivers, and I'll be willing to plop down $700 (i.e., $350 X 2 pair for my dual-listening setup).

5 more decibels of sensitivity amounts to 3.2x the power efficiency from the source, and about 1.8x the loudness. Make it at least 80% louder with the same power input from your source, and while maintaining the same sound quality and frequency response curve as the M-100's!

I don't use wireless and could care less about it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #778 of 1,668
Apparently the pair I ordered for my wife arrived today damaged. She described little gouges in the copper and scrapes on the shield. She also said the earpads were squished completely flat in some spots. Did anyone else see anything similar with theirs? I told her to initiate a return with V-moda and I ordered her a new pair from Amazon with next day shipping. I can only imagine it happened during the production phase because don't they arrive in those cases with strong exteriors? Weird, but not the end of the world. Only loss will be the free shields that will have to go back.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #779 of 1,668
It should come in the case and also have plastic protecting the shields that you have to peel off. The cushions may be slightly smashed but they will expand once out the case. If they are scratched on the arms, I would definitely do a return. They may even next day air you a pair if you call them and complain.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #780 of 1,668
  It should come in the case and also have plastic protecting the shields that you have to peel off. The cushions may be slightly smashed but they will expand once out the case. If they are scratched on the arms, I would definitely do a return. They may even next day air you a pair if you call them and complain.

I figured the memory foam would probably bounce back, but the way she described them is that parts of them are crushed down which made the audio bleed out. I have XL pads I could install anyway so that wouldn't have been a big deal. The scratches are the part I can't fix on my own. I didn't want her to wait since they're a gift and Amazon has them in stock with next day shipping. Not a big deal. I did walk her through the pairing process on our Mac and she confirmed that they connected via Aptx. She also confirmed it's more copper than it is Apple's version of rose gold. She loves the color combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back