V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #706 of 1,668

I think they sound amazing out of my iPhone 7 whether it's using aac or just sbc as we don't know there is any aac bluetooth codec support. I can say however may be the case, it still sounds lovely and I have been doing all my serious listening wireless via iPhone 7 and it just sounds fantastic.

This weekend if I can pry myself away from Bosch season 3 or Fargo Season 2, I'll start experimenting with the wireless function. These do sound really good wired.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #708 of 1,668
I know people are thinking the Rose Gold looks dopey..but as others have said in person they look sexy. It is more of a copper. The build quality is classic V-MODA. I think it is always fun to open a V-MODA box and cut the ribbon. As far as the sound, they are the most balanced V-MODA I have heard. I enjoyed the XS but it didn't isolate well and wouldn't stay on my head with a quick movement. They are not bass light but unlike the M100 they really don't violate the mids with bleed over. It is also the most detailed V-MODA I have heard.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #711 of 1,668
They're not identical to my XS. My XS is similar to my M100.

Edit: these are burning in nicely. I like them more now since I posted my review.
If they are different than the XS, it is hard for me to tell. I wonder if it may of changed down the road? I purchased my XS right when they came out if I remember right. My M100's are the shadow version so I can't compare it to mine.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #712 of 1,668
I noticed that with the XL pads I used before. So clarify this for me, please - install the pads, and then put ethernet cable in a circle around the underside of them against the driver? What's the net result of that? Firmer fit or less pain from the clamping mechanism? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what the point of that mod is.
The purpose of this mod is added ear clearance. Unlike the XL pads, these pads don't compress further over time. They hold their shape very well, like a good tempurpedic or other quality memory foam. The cable gives that extra depth to give more relief to the ears from being ever so lightly pressed against the drivers. I've done this with both versions and though XL is deeper, I prefer the feel of the CF2W cushions just a bit more with the mod.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #713 of 1,668
OK, this is my overall impression from Day 1 (premature, but whatever):

Updated: Tonality: The M100s are darker, but not by a ton. Maybe the new ones are 2-3 (maybe 4, max, tops) shades brighter. They allow some more details to shine. Vocals sound really nice, more natural. The difference is 100% noticeable but honestly it won't stun you. But definitely brighter, but not drastically. It *can* get a little (too?) bright on on brighter recorded music, so that may be an issue for some of you. I noticed it on some jazz and electronic stuff today.It seeems to sound better generally on rock. 

Overall: this is a really really good sounding headphone. If you're in the market for a V-Moda build with audiophile sound, this is it.It also has the added flexibility of wireless if you're OK with not having aptX or AAC. For *my* purposes though, I don't feel they're worth the $355 (including tax) asking price. I feel like the M100 is a more fun headphone (when I want that) for cheaper, and it sounds better with electronic and jazz. Honestly, I can get the equivalent performance the CF II has out of my ATH-m40x that cost me $80. The CF II vs ATH-m40x aren't *that* different and I honestly think the m40x have a slightly, more versatile tonality to them, with cleaner sound.

I think the M100s may be slightly easier to listen to as well, just because of the darker tonality. It's not that the M100s are better or worse, just different. I'd describe the new CF II as a diagonal upgrade.

Keep in mind: this is just Day 1 impressions, so my impressions may change as I listen to them more.
We each hear differently. For me on very first listen, I thought these were really bright coming from the M100. At the same time, I absolutely could not use the M100 for jazz or another other instrument based music. The sound signature was just too different from accurate sounding. The instruments we're very colored. For that reason I actually carried a second pair of headphones with me everywhere for the times I wanted to listen to instruments. On a second day listen, the treble of the CF2W was no longer harsh to me, but sparkly and accurate. I was comparing be to the Meze 99 and those, while nice, were just too harsh for me in the highs. These were more relaxing, and I found the over tonality less fatiguing while still great and non genre specific. For the record I'm a hip hop and r&b guy first and foremost, so I like my bass. However, I also listen to pop, classical, country, indie, movie soundtracks, etc. The CF2W, checks all these boxes. For a bit I turned on the bass boost on my Fiio e11. A day later I turned it back off and am still satisfied. The stock bass is so clean and tight. The M100 is more "fun" if bass is the only thing that matters, but compared, the bass is boomy and less tight. CF2W for the win. I had no problem saying goodbye to my M100 to save $125. I don't miss them one bit, as much as I loved them when I had them. These get much more use, as I choose whatever I want from my album list and hit play, without worrying be which genre I put in the queue

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #714 of 1,668
We each hear differently. For me on very first listen, I thought these were really bright coming from the M100. At the same time, I absolutely could not use the M100 for jazz or another other instrument based music. The sound signature was just too different from accurate sounding. The instruments we're very colored. For that reason I actually carried a second pair of headphones with me everywhere for the times I wanted to listen to instruments. On a second day listen, the treble of the CF2W was no longer harsh to me, but sparkly and accurate. I was comparing be to the Meze 99 and those, while nice, were just too harsh for me in the highs. These were more relaxing, and I found the over tonality less fatiguing while still great and non genre specific. For the record I'm a hip hop and r&b guy first and foremost, so I like my bass. However, I also listen to pop, classical, country, indie, movie soundtracks, etc. The CF2W, checks all these boxes. For a bit I turned on the bass boost on my Fiio e11. A day later I turned it back off and am still satisfied. The stock bass is so clean and tight. The M100 is more "fun" if bass is the only thing that matters, but compared, the bass is boomy and less tight. CF2W for the win. I had no problem saying goodbye to my M100 to save $125. I don't miss them one bit, as much as I loved them when I had them. These get much more use, as I choose whatever I want from my album list and hit play, without worrying be which genre I put in the queue

I would say that is fair comparison. I have had the M100 a couple of different times but it has been a while.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #718 of 1,668
Found another review. This one a bit more thorough than the others so far. He advises against buying them, but a lot of that comes down to comfort and styling.
Did you purchase a pair yet? I can answer just about any questions you may have outside as I've owned every model other than LP versions.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #719 of 1,668
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #720 of 1,668
Did you purchase a pair yet? I can answer just about any questions you may have outside as I've owned every model other than LP versions.

Yep, I ordered the rose gold model directly from V-Moda. Should be here early next week.

He likes QC35's. A tale of two different headphones.

Very different from my experience. I dislike the sound signature of the QC35s very much. They're so bland. Everything about the headphones from styling to sound is just bland, but I guess that's what they're going for. The noise cancellation is great, but that's not something I want in a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back