V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #691 of 1,668
Has anyone mentioned the headband material vs the M100? The M100 has more of a leather feel to the material, whereas the CF II has more of a plastic feel. That may help the disintegration factor that the M100s experience.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #692 of 1,668
How to access the wire to cut?

Also stupid question: to use balanced cable on these, does the wire need to be cut?

If no one answered the 2nd question, yes. The interconnect that runs through the headband will foil any balanced connection, it would
require being cut.

Edit: I just noticed I typo'd foil where the word is soil :).. It just wont work at all, no sound.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #693 of 1,668

If no one answered the 2nd question, yes. The interconnect that runs through the headband will foil any balanced connection, it would require being cut.

OK Cool. I wish I had a spare set so I could snip it. I'd just make a new set of cables because I have a balanced DAC/Amp.

A (minor) gripe I have with these is that the cable jack is on the right hand side, whereas I'm used to having it on the left hand side with the M100. Not a huge deal, but it's there for nitpicking.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #694 of 1,668
My buddy just got a rose gold pair, but he said the MF button is stuck and the speakers "pop" when there is a bit of suction from the seal.  He also said the right speaker has a much more sensitive/louder "pop" or "crackle" and is not as loud as the left speaker.  Needless to say, he is returning them (Amazon).  Anyone else experiencing this or other build quality issues?

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #695 of 1,668
My buddy just got a rose gold pair, but he said the MF button is stuck and the speakers "pop" when there is a bit of suction from the seal.  He also said the right speaker has a much more sensitive/louder "pop" or "crackle" and is not as loud as the left speaker.  Needless to say, he is returning them (Amazon).  Anyone else experiencing this or other build quality issues?

On the M-100, if I push the cups against my head I get this metallic crinkle sound (not quite crinkling foil, but its metallic/plastic crinkle noise) which is just air pressure flexing the driver..
It does not sound this is what he is experiencing though. I would have also returned that set. Odd that it only happens with a good seal though, or maybe he only was able to hear it clearly with a seal?

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #696 of 1,668

I just put them on, pushed in on the ear cups and yes, they popped. I think that is do to them having an air tight seal. I would imagine most headphones would do that in that situation though. No issue with the MF button though.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #697 of 1,668
OK, this is my overall impression from Day 1 (premature, but whatever):

Updated: Tonality: The M100s are darker, but not by a ton. Maybe the new ones are 2-3 (maybe 4, max, tops) shades brighter. They allow some more details to shine. Vocals sound really nice, more natural. The difference is 100% noticeable but honestly it won't stun you. But definitely brighter, but not drastically. It *can* get a little (too?) bright on on brighter recorded music, so that may be an issue for some of you. I noticed it on some jazz and electronic stuff today.It seeems to sound better generally on rock. 

Overall: this is a really really good sounding headphone. If you're in the market for a V-Moda build with audiophile sound, this is it.It also has the added flexibility of wireless if you're OK with not having aptX or AAC. For *my* purposes though, I don't feel they're worth the $355 (including tax) asking price. I feel like the M100 is a more fun headphone (when I want that) for cheaper, and it sounds better with electronic and jazz. Honestly, I can get the equivalent performance the CF II has out of my ATH-m40x that cost me $80. The CF II vs ATH-m40x aren't *that* different and I honestly think the m40x have a slightly, more versatile tonality to them, with cleaner sound.

I think the M100s may be slightly easier to listen to as well, just because of the darker tonality. It's not that the M100s are better or worse, just different. I'd describe the new CF II as a diagonal upgrade.

Keep in mind: this is just Day 1 impressions, so my impressions may change as I listen to them more.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #698 of 1,668
I wish we could get some stock (or even third party really) Velour type pads. I just got my first taste of switching velour on to a set that doesn't offer it, and im only upset I didn't do it sooner.

I know it will change the sound, so maybe that's why V-moda will never currently dont do it, but with past reviews about comfort (they are obviously trying to fix here and I commend that - thick stock pad and wider headband to spread the weight out more..) I feel its a viable option to research (or maybe they have already)..

Edit: I guess never say never

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #699 of 1,668
Ok so I hooked the aptx ones to my work phone to see how it would sound with an iPhone 4 and guess what? They sound.................. pretty darn good without aptx also. So I am assuming this is what the white and black ones would sound like with an iPhone and Android phone also? If so I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #700 of 1,668
Ok so I hooked the aptx ones to my work phone to see how it would sound with an iPhone 4 and guess what? They sound.................. pretty darn good out of aptx also. So I am assuming this is what the white and black ones would sound like with an iPhone and Android phone also? If so I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

I think they sound amazing out of my iPhone 7 whether it's using aac or just sbc as we don't know there is any aac bluetooth codec support. I can say however may be the case, it still sounds lovely and I have been doing all my serious listening wireless via iPhone 7 and it just sounds fantastic.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #703 of 1,668
I think they sound amazing out of my iPhone 7 whether it's using aac or just sbc as we don't know there is any aac bluetooth codec support. I can say however may be the case, it still sounds lovely and I have been doing all my serious listening wireless via iPhone 7 and it just sounds fantastic.
These things so far are ticking a lot of boxes for me right now. Fellas if you are having doubts about these in bt mode, you have to check them out, I can understand now why they were not stressing over codecs. Very easy to listen to either way. If I would of known this for sure, I would of been happy with the matte black ones. But since I already have the gold ones in my hand, I will probibly just keep them. I have not even hard wired them yet! Best treble Vmoda has done so far. Most controlled bass also. The mids have some good detail. Sounds a lot like they tried to mimic the Harmon Kardon curve with a pretty balanced headphone and a slight bump in the bass. The bass is not as deep so bass heads need to look elsewhere unless they care to dabble in something more neutral. This is definitely geared toward the audiophile community for portability without being boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back