V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #676 of 1,668
Anyone have input on the matte white regarding dirt? I know these haven't been out long, but was curious as to how the color holds up to normal wear/tear. I'd hate for them to get that nasty black grime that some white earbuds seem to accumulate. Perhaps some of you have other white V-Moda headphones and can comment?

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]On the white M-100 there was slight yellowing over time and I only found that out when I bought a new white XS and had them side-by-side. Any stains I got could be easily wiped off with a damp cloth and no dirt accumulation was noticable outside of the yellowing.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]What's more problematic is the pleather flaking and cracking over time. This has happened with my white M-100, white XS and black XS. The only color that resisted this happening was the shadow V-80 which has a suede headband. I did get a fairly large scuff on those though. It's still not as noticeable as the flaking off on the black and white headbands.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]This is how my M-100 looks now.[/color]

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #677 of 1,668
I had a chance to play a quick song in Bluetooth mode with the Gold version on my Samsung S6 phone and immediately noticed a reduction in bass and treble compared to the M100's from what I remembered. I only heard the CFW1 once for 10 minutes a while back in wired mode and from what I remember, they were closer in sound to the M100's than these are. These are the closest audiophile headphones I have heard from VMODA. The bass and treble are more balanced and matched with the mids. The bass did not have any bloat to it and the treble was smoother without harshness which made them sound more open, but of course not being as good as real open headphones. I like a mild bass boost so if you like a big bass boost, I do not think you would really enjoy these as much as the M100's or the CFW1. I played Luda's " How Low" and the bass was there but not as boosted when it played the really low parts. The higher bass was good and did not take away from the mids. Lets say if the M100's would actually have a 5db bass gain, these sound like they would have about a 2db gain in the bass region. I find the treble was better on these than the CWF1. Remember also, this was in Bluetooth mode (APTX) listening to Pandora in higher quality mode setting. It was not with using FLAC files or highest quality MP3 formats saved on my phone. I will do more listening tonight and over the weekend in Bluetooth and Wired mode and tell ya'll what I think. Also, the gold version does not show as many smears as I thought it would. LOL

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #678 of 1,668
Hey guys.

Did a writeup in the Forza Wireless thread in regards to what's been happening with V-MODA wireless products (codecs, support, lack of communication, possible misinformation).

Here it is: http://www.head-fi.org/t/844917/v-moda-forza-metallo-wireless-discussion-with-val-kolton-impressions-etc#post_13439911

Just trying to maybe get an answer from Val and company. Please correct me in that thread if I'm wrong somewhere or if you've got something to add from your experience

Cheers

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #679 of 1,668
What turned me off about the white version was the first/top picture used at Amazon, which now that I compare it to user photos as well as other photos on the Amazon page I can see that it is clearly a fake/photoshop. It's like they  mashed an M100 and CFW1 together, but in reality the material on the CF2W and how it's applied to the headband is actually more striking. V-moda would do themselves a favor by removing the top photo, imo.

This:

is not the same as this:

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #680 of 1,668
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]What's more problematic is the pleather flaking and cracking over time. This has happened with my white M-100, white XS and black XS. The only color that resisted this happening was the shadow V-80 which has a suede headband. I did get a fairly large scuff on those though. It's still not as noticeable as the flaking off on the black and white headbands.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]

Man, looks like you put a few miles on those! I have the M100's and XS in Matte black when each first came out and neither have done that yet.
eek.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #681 of 1,668
  Man, looks like you put a few miles on those! I have the M100's and XS in Matte black when each first came out and neither have done that yet.
eek.gif

Hmm. Perhaps it's a weather/humidity thing? I live in New York City and wear my headphones year round, all four seasons, and even while it's snowing/raining. Maybe I just abuse my gear. Most of the time I didn't put them in the case, although I do that almost every time now.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #682 of 1,668

If these headphones could talk, they'd say, "I've seen some ****." I actually think all the tape looks cool. I also love the black shields.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #684 of 1,668
OK, first impressions of CF II Wireless vs M100:

Bass: reduced vs the M100. They went for quality over quantity. It's got a punch, but it's greatly reduced and it's almost polite sounding. They are nowhere near as overwhelming or attention grabbing. Whereas the M100 had a "big" bass that was sometimes a little fuzzy or out of control (still great sounding for what I used them for), these are nice and tight.

Mids: Improved on the new ones. Vocals are pushed out compared to M100, less buried, less drowned. More details come through. The M100 is almost muffled compared to these.

Tonality: The M100s are darker, but not by a ton. Maybe the new ones are 2-3 shades brighter. They allow some more details to shine. Vocals sound really nice, more natural. The difference is 100% noticeable but honestly it won't stun you. But definitely brighter, but not drastically.

Treble: very nice, smooth. I'm not hearing the harsh/painful or bright treble that some others have mentioned. The XS honestly sound a little more treble-ish to me.

Smoothness: The M100s have always sounded harsh-ish and gritty-ish to me. They always had a really hard edged, visceral, exciting sound to them. Slightly artificial, as someone else mentioned. These are laid back, muuuuuch smoother. No sign of harshness anywhere. If you're looking for a "fun" headphone, these are NOT the ones you're looking for. These are MUCH more in line with something like the ATH-m40x, which goes for a more "audiophile" or neutral/accurate representation.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #685 of 1,668

Treble: very nice, smooth. I'm not hearing the harsh/painful or bright treble that some others have mentioned. The XS honestly sound a little more treble-ish to me.

Regarding highs, what source are you listening from? Any specific AMP and DAC or just straight out of your phone? 

I wonder if that's a difference in how people are used to hear highs or if you're listening from a warm source.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #686 of 1,668

If these headphones could talk, they'd say, "I've seen some ****." I actually think all the tape looks cool. I also love the black shields.

Thanks. I've also had issues with the earcup cables fraying so I put twist ties around them where they contact the gimbal. My XS does this too so maybe it's just how they sit on my wider-than-average head. 

Also I encourage any M-100 or XS owners who have not tried this yet to experiment with a dual-entry cable. It helps to improve sound quality by a significant margin by widening the soundstage and just sounding a bit cleaner overall.

And finally just a close up of the headband. I added the orange tape to match the orange Speakeasy cable and the blue and red tape to match the L and R sides of the dual-entry cables.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #687 of 1,668
  Regarding highs, what source are you listening from? Any specific AMP and DAC or just straight out of your phone? 

I wonder if that's a difference in how people are used to hear highs or if you're listening from a warm source.

I am using the LH Labs Geek Out 2A Infinity DAC/Amp from my PC. Mix of lossless and lossy AAC/OGG (224vbr/320vbr, approx.)

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #689 of 1,668
  This picture illustrates perfectly what I said a post or two ago about these new white headphones actually being white this time. Very very nice looking indeed. I bet they'd look great with black shields and black pads.

I actually thought about the black shields and black pads, but take note, the new ear cushions will not be for sale until 1-2 months from now.  This according to "Dave" from customer support.

The XL cushions are OK, but they are definitely not memory foam; they're just foam.  The new "BLISS" cushions are really nice and more comfortable IMO.  I have average sized ears, so if you have larger ears, the XL may work better, even if they are a lower grade foam.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #690 of 1,668
Yea, I think you got your money's worth out of a very well built headphone LOL. I listen to my XS almost every night and they still look new although they really don't go outside much. They only from inside one building to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back