V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #436 of 1,668
At this point I'm just going to assume these don't have AAC support since V-MODA had plenty of chances to confirm.

Sadly, I think you're right.  I watched VK's interview with Head-Fi again, and when talking about aptX, he did say if there was no aptX, it would default to SBC (somewhere around 9:30 to 9:50 into the video).  The lack of AAC reference when discussing aptX when they were using a Mac, is pretty much a statement itself.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #437 of 1,668
  Sadly, I think you're right.  I watched VK's interview with Head-Fi again, and when talking about aptX, he did say if there was no aptX, it would default to SBC (somewhere around 9:30 to 9:50 into the video).  The lack of AAC reference when discussing aptX when they were using a Mac, is pretty much a statement itself.

The more I'm reading about AAC, at least in how it's implemented via Apple devices, the less I understand why this is a big deal. I mean, I can see why it kinda matters, but if you can get a full FLAC file via aptX, why would you prefer the 250kbps AAC that Apple uses?

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #438 of 1,668
At this point I'm just going to assume these don't have AAC support since V-MODA had plenty of chances to confirm.

​Yes, I think is silly the issue to admit it. They could simply say: We dont support AAC but did a very good implementation in SBC to make it sound very similar to wired in Apple products. If you plan to use android based players, and Bluetooth is important to you, get the rose gold with APTX.

Also, I am not sure why not including APTX in all colors, maybe the $30 increase from their marketing analysis would make such a difference, so they offer two price points? Maybe, who knows.

I purchased the CWF2 to play mostly wired, but was pleasantly surprised how good it sounds from the Iphone 7. I wouldn't use it wireless from Android based or AK players, since you notice the loss of quality. Its like listening to a low bitrate MP3.

I am curious to try in the future the rose gold, to make A/B test with my matte black with android to see the difference.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #439 of 1,668
The more I'm reading about AAC, at least in how it's implemented via Apple devices, the less I understand why this is a big deal. I mean, I can see why it kinda matters, but if you can get a full FLAC file via aptX, why would you prefer the 250kbps AAC that Apple uses?

You can't get a full lossless file over aptX. aptX is comparable to 192kbps AAC, and sounds noticeably compressed to my ears.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #440 of 1,668
sorry again, but I felt it would only be right for me to be transparent and give my updated thoughts. I got the matte black as Bluetooth is an afterthought for me. Um a dragonfly red, Flac audio guy, with a Cayin C5 headphone amp. I will use Bluetooth to take calls, and for short breaks at school where I can't take time to pull out full rig. So I can handle non aptX. I use my dac when I go on my runs, so Bluetooth really isn't a priority for me. The shiny rose gold isn't for me. Had it been a matte finish I would have thought about it a little bit. But for my 90% wired use, desired color meant more

So how does the matte black sound in bluetooth mode?

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #442 of 1,668
So how does the matte black sound in bluetooth mode?
Haven't listened in Bluetooth, as that isn't what I purchased them for. I listen to all Flac audio. I may try it out eventually, but my focus was to move from 2 portable cans, to one that I felt handled a wide variety of genres. I may give a quick listen within the next 24 hrs, but I haven't charged them yet

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #443 of 1,668
If he was actually reviewing them, I'd agree. But he isn't. Unless we're to assume his audience is just a bunch of morons that want style over substance. "Mmmmmmm loud bass. Bass iz good. Buy these headphones, yo, they got dat bass!" It's clear that's the audience V-Moda is going after initially, because that's the type of youtubers that got the product early. I'll just wait for the more serious guys to get them and actually review them. V-moda getting views from  Uravgconsumers audience isn't new. He's been pushing their stuff for years. Always with the focus on bass. That's all he cares about. His favorite headphones are those awful boom cannons from Sony. But if anyone is at fault here, it's me for actually clicking on his "review". Ditto for Booredatwork's review. Would love for Z to get a pair of these.

Don't mind me though, I'm just salty because the owner of the CFW1's I was borrowing took them back. I'd love to put my money down on the CFW2s but I think the last few pages made it obvious why I, and many others, are going to wait.

I will say though I was leaning towards the M100 after seeing V-moda willfully ignore the AAC question, but now I'm leaning towards those even more after using the CFW1s in bluetooth mode a lot last week. Something that really annoyed me was the loud hissing sound they make constantly. For the first couple of days, the hissing would stop when there was no audio being piped to them, but after those first few days the hiss was non-stop, and then the only way to get them to stop was to turn them off and back on, but once an audio was sent to them they'd continue to hiss non-stop again. I can't believe that's working as intended. I think if Musiciansfriend does another 15 percent off holiday deal for Easter (they did one for April Fools of all things), I'll grab a pair of M100s and be done with it.

I think that's a tad unfair, he gave a glowing review to the XS phones.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #444 of 1,668
CF2W REVIEW UPDATE!!!! @SomeGuyDude@skyejack@DiscoProJoe Back from my second day at Canjam. So, what a difference a day makes. Today I was looking for a possible all genre "portable" headphone. Also had the pleasure of listening to Focal Utopia and Abyss flagship. Great sounding cans, both a little peaky for my taste. Not overly sibilant, but I got really used to seriously toned down treble. Anyway, found myself listening to Meze 99 classic. Wow. Good sounding semi-portablish shape. Lows to mids very well presented. Highs there, clear, a little bright, but that is my opinion. Pleasant can overall. Went back to V-moda table for second take of CF2W. Lows not as boomy as M100 but present, full, tight, cleaner, still FULL. Mids good presentation. Highs crisp, actually more pleasant and easier on the ears than the Meze 99. I went back and forth to both tables 2 more times. After listening to a number of IMO peaky cans and earphones today, my sense of hearing readjusted. I honestly feel like the CF2W is DEFINITELY an upgrade to the M100 in overall SQ. Bring the bass back a step, but tighten it up. "Humble" by Kendrick Lamar. Vocals not recessed, clear, nice sparkle. "Come Away with me" by Norah Jones. Instrumental music not underrepresented and actually an accurate sound signature. "Realize" by Theo Croker. For me, the sound signature is more pleasant than the Meze 99. And to show it's not just looking service, I purchased a pair, trading in my loved, but genre excluding M100. The CF2W is now my sole portable can. Replacing my M100/HifiMan Edition S combination. I believe I was too hasty in my judgement yesterday. Coming from a veiled and recessed M100 I was used to having to crank the volume to get more from vocals and instruments. When I would switch to CF2W I would have to lower volume a bit as it was uncomfortable. Point is the mids, don't sit in the background, and the highs are readily present. Yes I'm doing a 180 & I apologize after several straight hours I am really happy with this purchase.
Earpads
Yes, the earpads aren't as deep as the XL pads, but they are far more comfortable, as these ARE memory foam. As the XL pads compressed anyway, it's a non-issue. To add depth I used the same fix as I did for XL pads. Ethernet cable underneath the earpads gives extra clearance so as to not push up against my ear. Much better cushions overall CF2W IS THE BEST WIRED V-MODA CAN and can replace both the M100 and the XS.

I have the Meze 99 Classics. Would you consider the sound a clear step up, an upgrade or more of a side-grade?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #445 of 1,668
So I tested AAC with my 2013 MBA and my BeatsX and it seems to work perfectly. see: https://imgur.com/a/uxXJN

Meanwhile the V-Modas always defaulted to SBC. Very disappointed with V-Moda and they may have lost my business over the false advertising.  

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #446 of 1,668
  Can you confirm they can't do AAC?

For instance, disable AptX on the Mac and try to enable AAC (I've posted instructions before)

Pretty please

Downloading Xcode now, will try shortly to see if I can enable AAC.  It's not clear on Bluetooth Explorer 4.3 (most current variant I could find) how to force AAC, everything I tried only showed SBC.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #447 of 1,668
  Downloading Xcode now, will try shortly to see if I can enable AAC.  It's not clear on Bluetooth Explorer 4.3 (most current variant I could find) how to force AAC, everything I tried only showed SBC.

You can download the IO Tools to test for AAC support. Through this I verified that Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 supports AAC! However, it shows SBC as the only A2DP codec it supports. It's free to become a developer, then download it from here:

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

Unfortunately though I haven't been able to force it through Bluetooth Explorer, it still resorts to SBC with AAC enabled and aptX disabled...

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #449 of 1,668

So within the Xcode Hardware Tools device test of the headphones it shows that AAC is supported, but, after everything I tried its SBC codec unless I force aptX. 

It's probably the same as the Momentum where AAC is supported but not usable as a codec...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back