V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #346 of 1,668
I just chatted with support at V-Moda and asked if the new ones support AAC and I got the same response as someone earlier. Was hoping they would have looked into it during this week seeing as how it's kind of a big deal. I'm definitely leaning towards getting something else now.

What do they say when you ask? That they just don't know??

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #347 of 1,668
What do they say when you ask? That they just don't know??

"That information is currently unavailable." As someone who worked support years ago, that's just unheard of to me. If I didn't know an answer, I immediately found someone who did. It was never allowable to leave a customer question unanswered. Granted I worked on servers, but the concept of customer support is the same, which leads me to believe they know the answer but don't want to share it for obvious reasons.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #348 of 1,668
The fact that it's 30-50 dollars more than CFW1 signaled to me that it was an improved version of the CFW1. If it's actually an audio downgrade in Bluetooth because they mean for it to be the successor to the M100, I think it's priced way too high for me.

This is where I'm at. I bought the CFW due to styling, toughness and sound quality. Oh and the fact that it was intended to be wireless, at least the name implies so. But if this was made to be a m100 replacement, then I'm out. Still waiting to hear more reviews from non 'established' reviewers.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #349 of 1,668
When I bought my CFW1, the website advertised "ULTIMATE CODECS" as AAC/AAC+, but now, the website does not have any reference to that.  

Here's the post from VK on the forums:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/778150/v-moda-crossfade-wireless-exclusive-preview-videos-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/600#post_12073374

Here is also another user that posted over a year ago that supports my original assertion the website used to have the AAC codecs referenced:

Not sure what's going on now, but there seems to be a lot of "behind the scenes" activity that is less than transparent.  Like someone said earlier, I really am a V-MODA fan, but all these "sneaky" things are turning me off, big time.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #350 of 1,668
What's worse is we may never get an answer. Just like there was never an answer about why there wasn't a clique fold in CFW1
You gotta think that before the interview, Jude HAD to ask Val about the codec, and Val must have said not to bring it up for some reason

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #352 of 1,668
Yep, you can see they state that it's (Original CF) got ACC etc here: http://www.samash.com/crossfade-wireless-over-ear-headphone-vxfbtgmbx-p 

And as the poster above me said, the shadiness is a huge turnoff. 

It makes no sense either. I could see if they chose a new Bluetooth chip that had better range or provided better battery life that didn't have AAC support available but Qualcomm makes plenty of chips that support AAC and aptX. I'm not sure on the price difference between an AAC chip and a non-AAC chip but it's probably just penny pinching by Roland, which ruins wireless mode for iPhone/iPad/Mac (AAC > aptX) users.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #353 of 1,668
Hi everyone. Been following this thread for a while now and have been waiting for my CFW2. Should be here tomorrow. Let me know how I can check for AAC. I've searched how to on Windows 10 with no available solutions. I don't have mac osx but I do have an iPhone 7.

With no way to check which codec is being used, I can only maybe compare my bluetooth on my Windows setup to that of my iPhone. I still wouldn't know if it's using something other than AAC but people do say that sbc codec doesn't sound very good so I should be able to notice that.

And my Windows would have aptx. I'll try and make it use sbc.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #354 of 1,668
I've always thought that the next hardware upgrade to my portable headphone system will be when Cayin, FiiO, or another company comes out with a portable amp that has twice the output power of the Cayin C5, along with a similar size, battery life, and bass-boost switch to match.

Browsing this thread tends to reinforce this outlook. 
wink.gif

Maybe when Taction Technologies comes out with a headphone that's more portable than the first-generation Kannons, and doesn't require you to carry its in-line controller and/or battery in your hand, or maybe,...just maybe,....when V-Moda comes out with an M-100 version of the Kannons without those hassles, I'll be interested in upgrading from my beloved M-100s. 
L3000.gif

What 'chyall think?

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #355 of 1,668
Headline: "We Discuss It With Val Kolton"

Where'd he go? Did he, like,.......die,.......or something? 
confused.gif

Or maybe Val just took some Valium and lost a day.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #356 of 1,668
Weird.  If you look closely, Amazon (not in stock) has the Matte Black version listed with a box showing an aptX sticker.  Not sure if this is an error with the marketing photo or if the other versions really do have aptX.  If you notice, it's still at the lower $330 price.

As an iPhone user, however, the lack of AAC and the lack of transparency in answering the most simplest of questions, has turned me off.

The APTX that was on the box the other day is now gone :thinking:

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #358 of 1,668
Somebody here from the start of the thread mentioned that he got AAC with his Crossfade 1 Wireless (first three pages, I think). I then assumed it's a problem of my Bluetooth module/outdated firmware. I was not able to get any AAC from my MBP(R)2013L when I had CW1.

Yaroslav, this is why I said earlier I was concerned the CFW1 may not support AAC (or not properly). I'm pretty sure all MBP since 2012 supports AAC via Bluetooth (and aptx). It's one thing to try and force AAC and the headphone then not being able to connect, it's another to not even have the option.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #359 of 1,668
Yep, you can see they state that it's (Original CF) got ACC etc here: http://www.samash.com/crossfade-wireless-over-ear-headphone-vxfbtgmbx-p  BHphoto says the same. 

And as the poster above me said, the shadiness is a huge turnoff. 

In VMODA defense, engineering could have made changes that wasn't communicated to marketing. Or the original design criteria did not specify AAC but engineering originally spec'd a chip that did support. Then marketing just went by the initially built HP that had AAC. Sometime later on, operations noted AAC not on required spec and made a running chip change to one that didn't support, but didn't notify engineering nor marketing (since the required spec was unchanged). Such innocent mistakes do happen with many companies large small.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #360 of 1,668
Yaroslav, this is why I said earlier I was concerned the CFW1 may not support AAC (or not properly). I'm pretty sure all MBP since 2012 supports AAC via Bluetooth (and aptx). It's one thing to try and force AAC and the headphone then not being able to connect, it's another to not even have the option.

Oh wow. I knew about AptX (several years ago I was playing around with Bluetooth headsets and Sony supported AptX already), but I was sure the problem is on my side.

With your feedback, it definitely is starting to look like CFW1 may not support AAC at least with desktops. If that's true, we need to spread the info as it is the worst kind of lying.

Need more feedback on this, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back