V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #243 of 1,668
I had the same shipping experience with my CFW that you guys are having with these. I don't believe they came anywhere near the estimated delivery date. A bit frustrating. Still waiting to hear about all the technical specs before I plop money down. Obviously that's important, but keeping that info under wraps is an even bigger deterrent for me.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #244 of 1,668

Totally! But it's not an uncommon one - which is why I hope V-Moda gives us other apt-x options! :)

I just like giving people a hard time about it because most posts seem to really go out there trying to insult the rose gold accents.  Plus, if I could order any color regardless of feature, it would actually be the rose gold one.  Luckily for me, it's the one that has aptX.

I had the same shipping experience with my CFW that you guys are having with these.

Things went smoothly when I ordered my CFW.  V-Moda's website said they would initially ship out in 4-5 business days due to the laser engraving I wanted.  I ordered them on a Monday morning and they were picked up by UPS that Wednesday.  I was finally able to order my CF2W rose gold headphones yesterday morning (I opted for black, 3D printed carbon fiber shields, the ones that look worn out near the top).  They went from "Awaiting Fulfillment" to "Awaiting Shipment" overnight so I'm hoping mine get here by mid-next week.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #245 of 1,668

The good the bad and the ugly

I suppose because of my first sentence I should simply start off with the good.

In wired mode these are actually pretty ridiculously good for the money. They remind me of a smaller ZMF Eikon with a little more bottom end warmth. They passed all my review music tests somehow. Granted they don't have the room to breath that the eikons do and aren't quite as detailed. But for such a small can I wasn't expecting this sound. It's more bearable and rhythmic than my previous b&w p7s. I really need to try the bigger pads on these because my ears and jaws are sensitive to clamping pressure and with the smaller pads the pressure isn't distributed as good as something larger would be.

The bad, these aren't comfortable enough for me to use for long gaming sessions. Maybe this is something the XL pads could fix. The directional accuracy circumference wise and depth wise isn't quite as accurate as my Astros but they are more detailed and I was able to hear footsteps easier.

The ugly. How much apt-x or aac coding really helps, I don't know. I have no issue enjoying my RBH Bluetooth though and I believe they're just normal Bluetooth. The non apt-x version of the cross fade 2 is unbearable to my ears. Sounds more peaky, digital and hollow compared to them in wired mode. They simply irriatate me too bad to be able to listen at all.

There is still one ugly thing I wanted to separate from the Bluetooth section. The supplied cord is a 4 pole cable and does not work when plugged into my amplifier. If I hold down the play button it works fine so I'm forced to do that as I don't have a regular 3.5 to 3.5 cable to use. I'm also not sure if the headphones input would work with a normal 3 pole.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #246 of 1,668
Personally, I'm really digging the headphone in wired mode. Maybe a tad forceful because the small housing keeps the drivers right up against your ears but It does convey emotion of instruments very well and there's a cohesiveness to the sound that makes me REALLY get into the music. I'd say the headphone sound quality without bluetooth is worthy of close to the price. I'd really like to hear this driver in a bigger enclosure with similar tonality.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #247 of 1,668

In wired mode these are actually pretty ridiculously good for the money. They remind me of a smaller ZMF Eikon with a little more bottom end warmth. They passed all my review music tests somehow. Granted they don't have the room to breath that the eikons do and aren't quite as detailed. But for such a small can I wasn't expecting this sound. It's more bearable and rhythmic than my previous b&w p7s. I really need to try the bigger pads on these because my ears and jaws are sensitive to clamping pressure and with the smaller pads the pressure isn't distributed as good as something larger would be.

The bad, these aren't comfortable enough for me to use for long gaming sessions. Maybe this is something the XL pads could fix. The directional accuracy circumference wise and depth wise isn't quite as accurate as my Astros but they are more detailed and I was able to hear footsteps easier.

The ugly. How much apt-x or aac coding really helps, I don't know. I have no issue enjoying my RBH Bluetooth though and I believe they're just normal Bluetooth. The non apt-x version of the cross fade 2 is unbearable to my ears. Sounds more peaky, digital and hollow compared to them in wired mode. They simply irriatate me too bad to be able to listen at all.

There is still one ugly thing I wanted to separate from the Bluetooth section. The supplied cord is a 4 pole cable and does not work when plugged into my amplifier. If I hold down the play button it works fine so I'm forced to do that as I don't have a regular 3.5 to 3.5 cable to use. I'm also not sure if the headphones input would work with a normal 3 pole.

XL pads are an improvement but they're painful over long periods for some ears like mine. I actually switched back to stock pads because the bass is punchier, and the soundstage is still plenty large enough (they're genuinely a bit painful though). I was expecting the new pads on CF2W to be the best of both worlds and more comfortable overall.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #248 of 1,668
Well technically they're not uncomfortable. It's just that it's a small headphone the BARELLY covers my ears. also, I'm sure I could stretch out the headband to relieve some clamping pressure but didn't want to alter the headphone in case I was sending it back. Aside from comfort I was hoping the bigger pad moved the driver away from the ears a bit too. As the headphone sits stock, it looks good enough to actually wear in public. That's kind of a big deal to me because I look absolutely ridiculous wearing headphones and I think these actually look good. Having thicker pads might alter the image however and possibly put them back in the realm of "too much headphone for public eyes"

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #249 of 1,668

Great review! You can fix the 4-pole thing by flipping the cable around and plugging the 45 degree end into your CF2W and the straight plug into your amp. Also, from everything I've read it seems like the XL pads might not help so much. One Head-Fier on the M-100 thread says these knock offs are more comfortable than the V-MODA ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-XL-V-MODA-Crossfade-Headphones/dp/B01N1ORYIW/

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #250 of 1,668
Have you used the CFW and can compare the sound? I use these 99 percent at the gym, so size and BT connection do matter. Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade, as the Cliqfold in itself is not.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #252 of 1,668
Let me put it this way, if you're only using Bluetooth for this headphone, there's no way I'd pay anywhere near the amount of asking price. If you're fine with the old one, keep it.

Also, flipping the cable didn't work

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #253 of 1,668
Curious if you've heard other big wireless over-ears for comparison. Not sure if I want these or to get a pair of Momentums again. Possibly the Sony.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #254 of 1,668
Let me put it this way, if you're only using Bluetooth for this headphone, there's no way I'd pay anywhere near the amount of asking price. If you're fine with the old one, keep it.

Also, flipping the cable didn't work

Have you heard the bluetooth on the original CFWs? If so, how do these compare? I actually liked the BT on the originals. As for the clamping, I noticed that the M100s clamp a lot harder than the CFWs, both with large earpads installed. I think it has something to do with Cliq-fold. 

As for the cable, I bought a couple V-moda branded extended audio cables. They're my favorite cables I've ever used. Should work fine for you.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #255 of 1,668
Sounds more peaky, digital and hollow compared to them in wired mode.

So, basically, they sound like the Beats Studio Wireless, eh?

I have the CFW1, which to me, is warm with rolled off highs, a bit of bass bleed/bloat into the mids giving them a slight veil.  All that said, they sound good and work perfectly for the gym, albeit a bit uncomfortable, even with the off-brand ear cushions (https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-XL-V-MODA-Crossfade-Headphones/dp/B01N1ORYIW/).

In comparison to the CFW1, how does the CFW2's sound signature compare?  Based on your brief description, it actually sounds like it's quite a bit different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back