UTWS5 + Olina or a TWS (Liberty 3 Pro)
Jul 26, 2022 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

darfk fear

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I’m really stuck here
I love my Olina and it sounds amazing on my FIIO BTR3K balanced output. but I really don’t like cables and love TWS form factor.
I got KZ AZ09Pro it’s very good for my cheap IEMs but Olina doesn’t sound at it’s best on it. it loses it’s 3D magic. So I was considering UTWS5 but not sure about it. many people complain about QC issues. and I’m worried it won’t sound as good as BTR3K anyway …
so don’t you think it’s better to get sth like Liberty 3 Pro? it’s cheaper than UTWS5 and seems a better deal. I’m not a fan of it’s sound sig but I’m fine with EQ.
I care about natural Mids, good soundstage and imaging and enough bass (basically I love Olina!!)

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 8
Just my 2 cents about your dillemma - I think it is the best to choose depending on how would you use your earphones. What I mean is, if you are going to use it in "typical TWS way" like public transport, commuting, office etc. TWS' features like touch controls or anc (if a given model has it) make it better choice than trying regular iem with adapters. However, if it is something like "iems for listening at home" and you happen to dislike wires, go for adapter+olina way.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Just my 2 cents about your dillemma - I think it is the best to choose depending on how would you use your earphones. What I mean is, if you are going to use it in "typical TWS way" like public transport, commuting, office etc. TWS' features like touch controls or anc (if a given model has it) make it better choice than trying regular iem with adapters. However, if it is something like "iems for listening at home" and you happen to dislike wires, go for adapter+olina way.
Yeah I'm also more inclined to get the adapter I don't even care about ANC and touch control .. all I care is sound , comfort, convenience.
Just a bit worried about QC issues regarding UTWS5

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Jul 26, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 8
If you are able to utilize a return policy in case it doesn’t live up to expectations, FiiO has a mid model change on the UTWS5 of the battery contact design. I guess call it v2. Supposedly no other internal changes. I use the v1 design UTWS5 with a 7hz Timeless IEM. Very nice now that I’ve found some tips that isolate, don’t kill the treble and low end (usually it’s one or the other).

While I do occasionally have the issue of the left earpiece not charging immediately, I can always get it started charging by wiggling it. v2 fixes this. The other issue for me is mic quality when using outside when there’s a breeze. I can work around it. Indoors no issue. Supposedly an app update coming in September that will add more sound control, i.e. EQ/etc.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 8
I’ve found some tips that isolate, don’t kill the treble and low end (usually it’s one or the other).
How are they called? :)

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 8
How are they called? :)
This is the problem...I don't know. 5-6 years ago, I bought a Flare Audio Pro. Awesome sound, seemed fragile. Unfortunately discontinued, one of the earpieces developed a short (after warranty).

So....I have the tips left. They're really nice. Nozzle size is close enough for the 7hz Timeless. You can see the Flare Audio setup below. There was more included. They had another small bag of plain silicone, and plain black foam. Tips overkill for sure. The ones shown below are 3 different materials, 3 different sizes. Bottom ones are memory type foam, like Comply, but slightly more durable. The middle row, is a foam/rubber (silicone?) mix, no memory, just shove 'em in. Back row is complete rubber (silicone?). Haven't been able to find who is the maker.

If you find the maker in a search, or recognize these...let us know!

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.28.12 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back