Utterly Bizzare Sennheiser HD 800S problem
Mar 6, 2016 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

alanbeeb

100+ Head-Fier
Hello - I have been hugely enjoying a new pair of HD800S for a couple of weeks. I think I might have found my final headphone but for one small but annoying issue - they are singing to me!

If I use them with the 4-pin XLR cable from my Oppo HA-1, I am getting a very faint singing/whistling noise in the right-hand earphone. Its sometime noticeable in very quiet music - but once I notice it, I can't shut it out! If I jiggle the cable, the noise changes in frequency. If I squeeze or bend the cable along its length I can alter the pitch of the noise - its almost like I've got a musical instrument - a re-invention of the Theremin or Ondes-Martenot!

If I switch the cable connectors round, the noise happens in the left-hand 'phone.  So I don't think the problem is in the headphones themselves but could it be in the cable?  its almost like its letting in RF interference.   

If I use the single-ended 1/4 inch jack from the Oppo, or from my other headphone amp (a tubed Trafomatic Elegance) there is no problem - but I really prefer the sound from the balanced connection on the Oppos to either of these - apart from this odd noise!   

I have also run Oppo PM-1s using the balanced output from the HA-1 and not had any problem at all - so really thinking this must be down to something about the cable itself. Anyone got any idea what the cause of the problem could be?  

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Why not use the XLR cable from the HD 800 S?

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 6
  Eh, that's what I am doing. 

Oh, misread it. Then send it back to Sennheiser since it doesn't seem to be the amplifier that is at fault as the PM-1 balanced works fine.

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 6
I will probably get round to that, but just wondering if anyone has a theory on what could be the cause?

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, clearly not then.

But I made a bit of a discovery.  My vortexbox has a 12V 5A power adaptor. If I move it to a seperate AC wall socket, rather than the power distribution block which all the hifi usually shares.... the problem seems to go away.   Hmmm.   Still think I might try a different balanced haeadphone cable at some point to see if I can recreate the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back