Utter newb: please help with amp decision
Jul 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

quikgp

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I admit, I'm a HUGE newb when it comes to headphone amps (and headphones for that matter).

I just bought a denon AH-d1001 and Grado SR80i. I love both phones, and I know they are "lower" end, but I'm sure they would benifit from a proper amp and down the road, I'll need one anyways. Currently I'm powering them with the built in headphone amp from my denon 998 Reciever, but I'm sure this isn't the best thing to use. I notice a bit of difference, but not much.

Anyway, I know nothing about headphone amps, but I understand the basic principles (ie difference between tube and solid state etc.). I don't particularly have a preference in sound (between tube and amp), but clarity/detail, neutrality and soundstage are important to me.

That being said, because I"m new to the whole headphone amp thing, I know there is always a bang for your buck category, where you can get the most for your money and anything above that has "diminishing returns". I'm looking to shoot for that category if I can. Used gear is prefered as it allows me to get a bit better product for cheaper.

I'm hoping to land something in the $100-200 range. That gives me a starting point to see if I like the amp or if I need to upgrade. If you guys could help me out and give me some recommendations that would be fantastic! thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I dont want a balanced amp (if thats what you call it). all my headphones have the single plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back