Utopia + Mjolly2 + Gungy: Do I want/need balanced headphone cable?
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Siigari

New Head-Fier
Alright so I am fairly new into head-fi theories and thought processes. I've got my equipment arriving this week. I'm going to be running balanced connections through my Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir, so I'm wondering if I should purchase an XLR headphone cable or not. Looking at prices of cables and that LEMO connector I really just don't know if it's worth the hassle for arbitrarily better sounding audio... (please do not hurt me)

On a sidenote, if I do decide to go that route what would my options be for portable amps when I am out and about (like, going to a LAN? Not sure I want to take my headphones for starters, but if I do then it would be kind of fun to have a portable amp/dac.) I found the CEntrance HiFi-M8 which has pretty stellar reviews but again, I'm not certain that I need to go that route?

Also for my own information, a final question. The Utopias are driven at an impedance of 80 Ohms. It would seem like just about anything could drive them at respectable listening volumes then, correct?

Thanks everyone!

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't think a balanced cable is really needed. I only have one amp that is balanced and the sound is quite similar to me it just doubles the output which can make you think it sounds better it helps but not to a great extent for me.
As for portable amps not sure as I've only heard the Utopia's on desktop setups but they are fairly sensitive and 80 ohms is not to high so any quality amp should do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back