USPS for shipping
Oct 27, 2002 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have an opinion on using the US Postal Service for shipping packages? Have you had any bad experiences which would make UPS, FedEx, etc...a better option? If you have opinions on these other carriers as well, feel free to share.

thanks

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 26
No real problems when shipping USPS Priority...just make sure to use delivery confirmation and insurance.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 26
I've shipped and received well over 50 packages with USPS...haven't had a single problem to date. The important thing is to make sure you have addresses dead correct (making a printed copy and taping it on is a good idea, it eliminates handwriting error), and use Delivery Confirmation.

Oct 27, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 26
No problems at all.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 26
I have probably shipped over 120 packages over the last couple of years, and only one failed to make it's destination. That was mailed from California to Washington on 09-10-01.

I understand why the package did not make it.
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 26
I prefer FedEx Ground service. They are cheap, pretty fast, and where I am from there is MUCH less of a wait (for counter service). For small stuff, I usually just use USPS Priority, buying those 3.95 stamps out of a vending machine. I have had no problems sending or receiving items through USPS. But being in a semi-urban environment, the Post Office is usually insanely busy and I hate waiting there. I can understand why workers there "go postal".

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 26
same here... I just go to mail boxes.etc and use whatever is cheapest. Believe it or not, it's usually UPS.
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 26
I've had problems with all three -- USPS, UPS, and FedEx. I've had problems retrieving costs when something goes wrong (admittedly, it is their job to make it as difficult as possible). That's why one should always ship insured, and keep as much documentation as possible.

Nov 3, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 26
I've had about 200 audio related USPS transactions. Not a single problem: not even with cheapo "media rate" for music.

Nov 4, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 26
These services are a little different everywhere. Here's an idea of what they're like in the Dallas, Texas region.

UPS - Sometimes delivers to wrong address. Often refuses to leave packages with landlord. Sometimes damages packages--actually ran over one of them.

FedEx Gound - Loses packages within their system. Refuses to deliver packages that are sitting at a depot. Depot hours are limited. Using FedEx Ground is the most expensive in terms of how many hours I have to be on the phone in order to get a simple package.

USPS - Usually on time, occasionally a day or so late. Has trouble deciding whether to leave a package in a mailbox lockbox, with my landlord or at the post office. So, although the packages are on time, it's sometimes a mystery which location it was left at and this costs me a little time. Usually a note is left on my door or in my mailbox but not always. Seriously damaged packages are rare but occasionally boxes are a little beat-up looking. Prices are reasonable but FedEx and Overnight are preferred on faster rates. USPS is much, much preferred to FedEx Ground and UPS in all cases.

FedEx - Almost always on time. Never damaged, never lost. Sometimes inconvenient to ship with, always expensive.

Overnight - Same level of service as FedEx, a little more expensive. Sometimes leaves packages on my doorstep without getting a signature--a little worisome with regard to theft.

Nov 4, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 26
USPS priority and parcel post have both been great for me so far. They damaged one package (a motherboard with chip on it -- home packaged) which was already quite fragile, but when I showed them the repair receipt they sent me the check quite fast without having to see the item and even considering that I was the shipper and it's the receiver who's supposed to file the claim. Amazing how far you can get just by being nice to them...

Airborne Express is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with -- delivery was relatively slow, but package was also damaged (an integrated amp -- not very fragile). I communicated with them for four months, each time getting a new story on procedure, until finally they just said that it was the shipper's fault for not using good-enough packaging. The shipper finally took the item back and gave me a refund (thankfully), but I've learned my lesson -- don't use Airborne Express!!!

I've only dealt with FedEx Express when buying from Headroom, but they always seem fast. Their prices are prohibitively high for me to use them when I ship, though.

Nov 4, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 26
Hmmm, well I am bitter right now with USPS. My melos was shipped to me at the end of September...and I never got it. Then after running two traces one in Canada and one in the US, neither country was able to find it in their systems...although fortunately, it did return to the shipped and is now on its way back to me via some other company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back