using video cables for audio?
Oct 7, 2006 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TempleOfEar

Banned
sorry guys, i realize that this might not be the best forum to ask this question but of all the electronic forums you guys are always the most responsive and friendliest. So the question is, as the title says, is it reasonable to use component cables for analog connection? reasonable as in still being able to get a good quality connection out of video cable even though it's not a big deal to shell out equal amount of cash for their analog cables on same website. The website and the video cable in question is here.http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...nent%20Kables#
so? what do you think, guys?

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 9
It's definitely possible to use almost any form of RCA-type cable for audio, as long as the characteristics of it are suitable for audio transmission. Some cable companies market the same cable for both component video and audio use. Since you'll only be using them for audio, why not go with a pair of audio cables?

While these cables look nice, their specifications aren't listed. I'm sure they're of decent quality, but in my (admittedly biased) opinion, it's better to go with a company that tells you up-front exactly what parts went into making the cable and lists detailed specifications about every cable they sell. That way you can be assured that it's not just snake-oil and pretty techflex.

Blue Jeans Cable sells their LC-1 cable, which looks to be a modified version of the 1505F cable from Belden they previously sold as their best interconnect, for less than the cost of any of KnuKonceptz's cables. You can also specify the desired length; the cables are all custom made using expensive cabling machinery. Best of all, they clearly list the specifications of the cables.

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony
While these cables look nice, their specifications aren't listed. I'm sure they're of decent quality, but in my (admittedly biased) opinion, it's better to go with a company that tells you up-front exactly what parts went into making the cable and lists detailed specifications about every cable they sell. That way you can be assured that it's not just snake-oil and pretty techflex.

aren't these specification? this info is found when you click 'learn more about them'

Description: eKs Kable - Finally an affordable high end home theater kable. Solid core 22awg 75 Ohm Silver Plated copper cable featuring LDPE dielectric and direction indicators. This 1 Meter Kable (39") is over 14mm OD! Also included is our new, 24 Kt gold plated, Kompression LoK RCA ends with every eKs series Kable. KnuKonceptz newest flagship kable features a three year warranty and a stunning exterior finish. The cable is pearl white with black nylon tubing with eKs accents. Looking for the best, look no further......
All eKs Line Products include a 30 Day In Home Trial Offer, if you are not satisfied that our eKs Kable is not the best cable and best overall value, you may return the item for a full refund*

besides spelling cable with 'k', they sound like a heck of a good stuff... Ofcorse if I had the $80 I would go with blue jeans surround cables in a blink of an eye. Is there any other decent 6 channel cable that I can get for under $50? I only need a foot of them.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Those specifications tell what the cable is made from, but don't reveal anything about its real-world performance. Without electrical measurements, it's just a guess.

Regarding the price, $82+ is also too expensive for me to buy their surround package (especially since the speakers I'm using as surrounds aren't very good), so I went with a stereo pair of LC-1 for the front left/right speakers and got cheaper cables for the other channels. In all, I paid $39.73 plus shipping.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Anyone know why AES and XLR cables are generally 110 ohm? Should I be looking for 75ohm cables to use either as XLR anlog or AES digital cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back